Off balance when punching - doesnt matter

When has anyone truly been countered and knocked out because he swung too hard? Seems like it rarely happens. You guys know of any famous examples?

I know, it can lead to takedowns or other disadvantages but it seems to me being off balance but therefore throwing harder is a great trade off especially when you have some wrestling. Fedor, Hendo … .

2 Likes

“Off balance when punching - doesnt matter”

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

It’s not just off balance it’s more complex. It’s more like overplaying your hand leaves you exposed. Many factors like position and orientation, momentum, what your muscles are doing, defensive posture, in combination with how fast you can defend or launch counter offense …

1 Like

Varner and Trujillo comes to mind. What a fucking banger

1 Like

Theres a part of me that wants to say that coming in with your hands down is ACTUALLY just punching too hard.

1 Like

My point is that whenever someone throws hard and is completely offf balance - other fighters dont make them pay.

And the most moronic post of the year goes to….,

My brain is seeing all kinds of examples but I just can’t name names

1 Like

To your point, doesnt happen often in MMA. Maybe see Silva v Forrest for an example, but in general, it seems the skill level isnt quite there in striker v striker.

Lyoto Machida just used Jedi Mind Tricks to defeat Ryan Bader at UFC on FOX | MiddleEasy
Conor McGregor Vs Jose Aldo KO Slow Mo Replay animated gif
Best counter punches while moving backwards - GIFs included | Sherdog Forums | UFC, MMA & Boxing Discussion

6 Likes

It most definitely matters. And especially against good counter strikers who can time it.

2 Likes

ಠ_ಠ

3 Likes

Aldo V Conor

2669655_orig

abandon thread GIF

4 Likes

The wonderboy gif is a great example and I am sure there are more. But still, some fighters are off balance all the time because they have made it work for themselves. This is not boxing. Guys like Fedor, Hendo or Tony are off balance all the time.

1 Like

This is what i am talking about. Rhonda throws full retard but Holly doesnt make her pay

Eventually she did :smiley:

But yeah, not in that moment for sure.

2 Likes

I feel like Gaethje vs Oliviera had a few of those moments.

3 Likes