Off duty CHP finds bag with $120k in it

CONCORD (CBS SF) — A man’s life savings have been recovered after an off-duty California Highway Patrol sergeant found over $120,000 in cash in the middle of a Concord roadway, CHP officials said Monday.

While driving in a personal car on Concord Boulevard recently, the sergeant had to swerve around two bank deposit bags in the roadway to avoid hitting them, according to the CHP.

The sergeant made a U-turn and went to retrieve the two bags, which had tire marks on them, and looked inside to find “a lot of cash,” CHP Contra Costa area spokesman John Fransen said.

“I opened it and it was filled with hundreds of hundred dollar bills,” the officer said

CHP officials said the off-duty officer, a 20-year CHP veteran who has asked to remain anonymous, immediately alerted authorities and handed over what amounted to more than $120,000 in cash to Concord police.

“First I thought it was one of those shows – what would you do? Someone would come out and ask me what would you do,” the officer said.

Police were later able to locate the owner of the lost cash and returned the money to him.

In a prepared statement, the sergeant said returning the money was simply “the right thing to do.”

“I am paid to uphold the law and it’s my job to set the example whether I’m working or not,” the sergeant said. “I am happy to hear the rightful owner was identified and that the money has been returned”.

CHP Golden Gate Division Chief Avery Browne seized the opportunity to praise the sergeant, noting that, “On too many occasions our personnel do not pause to be recognized as they feel they were simply doing their job.” Phone Post 3.0

Why wasn't this me?

sigh

Isolated incident Phone Post 3.0

120k in bags? Surprised they didn't seize it and charge the money with a crime per civil forfeiture.

Geez. Phone Post 3.0

This is almost like an unbelievable science fiction story.  Cops will stop you and confiscate as little as $100 for being suspected drug money, yet they voluntarily hand over 120K that was found in the road?  Something is fishy with this.

Who looses a bag with $120k in it? Phone Post 3.0

Meohfumado - 120k in bags? Surprised they didn't seize it and charge the money with a crime per civil forfeiture.

Beat me to it.  This is exactly what I was going to say.

Soup and Beer - 

This is almost like an unbelievable science fiction story.  Cops will stop you and confiscate as little as $100 for being suspected drug money, yet they voluntarily hand over 120K that was found in the road?  Something is fishy with this.

Yep, there's something very strange with this story. 

What would you guys do if you found 120K in bags on the road?

My first conclusion would be that it is drug money.  The second reasonable conclusion is that if you turned it in, the police would assume the same and keep it for the department (legal).   This isn't the same as seeing some old lady drop a 20 dollar bill at Walmart.  Not the same ethical dilemna.

Soup and Beer -

My first conclusion would be that it is highly likely to be drug money.  The second reasonable conclusion is that if you turned it in, the police would assume the same and keep it for the department (legal).   This isn't the same as seeing some old lady drop a 20 dollar bill at Walmart.  Not the same ethical dilemna.

If you did take it you would be looking over your shoulder for a while Phone Post 3.0

WELL IT WAS IN CONCORD..........MAINLY A WHITE AREA............SO BEING HONEST ISN'T SURPRISING..........LOL 

JUST KIDDING MINORITIES........YOU GUYS ARE HONEST TOO...........

NAH JUST KIDDING AGAIN.......

Nice job. Good to hear stories of honest people like this, cop or not. Phone Post 3.0

brody3316 - 
Soup and Beer -

My first conclusion would be that it is highly likely to be drug money.  The second reasonable conclusion is that if you turned it in, the police would assume the same and keep it for the department (legal).   This isn't the same as seeing some old lady drop a 20 dollar bill at Walmart.  Not the same ethical dilemna.

If you did take it you would be looking over your shoulder for a while Phone Post 3.0

True, but unless you started bragging to everyone that you found 120K, even the biggest drug cartel would have no way of knowing what happened to it.

Soup and Beer -
brody3316 - 
Soup and Beer -

True, but unless you started bragging to everyone that you found 120K, even the biggest drug cartel would have no way of knowing what happened to it.

That's what happened in that movie a simple plan. They found cash in a plane that had crashed and 3 guys started out ok but then told their wives ....BAD IDEA Phone Post 3.0

RubberFistofFury - Nice job. Good to hear stories of honest people like this, cop or not. Phone Post 3.0
What kind of reward is appropriate would you 5% be ideal?The guy at least derserves a couple of grand. Phone Post 3.0

I bet there never was any bags with 120k in them.