Off-duty cop fires gun in altercation with teens

ANAHEIM – A YouTube video surfaced Wednesday that purports to show a Tuesday altercation involving several juveniles and an off-duty Los Angeles police officer who discharged a firearm during the scuffle.

The Anaheim Police Department in a Facebook post said that it is aware of numerous videos on YouTube concerning the officer-involved shooting that occurred around 2:45 p.m in the vicinity of Euclid Street and West Palais Road.

Sgt. Daron Wyatt, a spokesman for the Anaheim Police Department, declined to confirm the authenticity of the videos. However, the sergeant did say "they appear to depict portions of the incident."

The confrontation began over ongoing issues with juveniles walking across the officer's property, Wyatt said.

During the Tuesday confrontation, a 13-year-old boy is accused of threatening to shoot the off-duty officer, at which time the officer attempted to detain the boy until Anaheim police arrived, Wyatt said.

That led to a physical confrontation between the officer and several other juveniles, Wyatt said. During the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm one time.

The 13-year-old was booked at Orange County Juvenile Hall for criminal threats and battery. A 15-year-old boy was arrested for assault and battery and released to his parents.

The off-duty officer has not been arrested.

In a nearly nine-minute YouTube video, a man is seen struggling with a boy before pulling out a handgun and firing the weapon. Several other teens watching the altercation scatter after the shot is fired.

Long vid:

Too bad it wasn't intentional.

That's why I moved out of LA. Don't want to raise my kids where there are other kids like this. It's hard to parent well enough to compensate for thousands of kids who aren't being raised well.

Its a pretty crazy step to pull out a pistol and fire a warning shot.

On the other hand, its perfectly reasonable to fear being swarmed by a pack of feral, ethnic youths especially if one of them threatened to,shoot you and two are getting physical.

Whatever, The kid in the fucking red hoodie, that jumped over the bush, was pulling some sort of object/weapon out from his back pocket. That action is what led to the officer to take out his gun. Just because they are little doesn't mean they can't injure you. That said, the gun probably discharged accidently in the struggle. 

Not the brightest cop, he will probably be in pretty deep trouble, if not fired, but he was about to be swarmed on.

They brought a helicopter out for that? Nice use of taxpayer funds

might have been smarter for him to call the local pd and have them handle it. trying to manhandle that kid for that length of time is what allowed the situation to escalate. that seemed to be poor decision making on his part.

and as far as the 'he should have shot them all' comments, those kids were not that threatening. took quite a while for the one kid to gather up enough courage to try and 'retrieve' his friend. an actual pakc of gang kids or kids who were a real threat would have swarmed him a lot quicker than that and he would have been forced to actually shoot them

GenericAmerican - That's why I moved out of LA. Don't want to raise my kids where there are other kids like this. It's hard to parent well enough to compensate for thousands of kids who aren't being raised well.
Good for you. You wouldn't want to raise your kids in an area where kids just walk through your lawn

opieandjimmy - To bad he didn't empty the clip into them

smh

Retarded cop. I would have reacted the same way as those kids. Why should I take his word that he's a cop and not some fucking weirdo grabbing onto a kid with no right to do so? 

pharochuck - 

might have been smarter for him to call the local pd and have them handle it. trying to manhandle that kid for that length of time is what allowed the situation to escalate. that seemed to be poor decision making on his part.

and as far as the 'he should have shot them all' comments, those kids were not that threatening. took quite a while for the one kid to gather up enough courage to try and 'retrieve' his friend. an actual pakc of gang kids or kids who were a real threat would have swarmed him a lot quicker than that and he would have been forced to actually shoot them

One of the kids started throwing punches and the other kid in the red can be clearly shown reaching for something in his back pocket( to me looks like a knife). Shit was about to get ugly real quick if he didn't pull out his gun when he did.

Typical retard cop for escalating the encounter to that level though.

So basically, cop opens fire on a bunch of kids after picking a fight with them, then everyone gets arrested EXCEPT the cop who picked the fight and opened fire?   lmfao

TryhardNobody -

He was worried about kids walking through his yard? I bet his house gets FUCKED UP now. And i like how he was manhandling the shit out of a little kid for trespassing, then he doesnt get manhandled at all by cops for shooting his gun w  a crowd of kids around

Yeah this cop is an asshole

effinggoof - Its a pretty crazy step to pull out a pistol and fire a warning shot.

On the other hand, its perfectly reasonable to fear being swarmed by a pack of feral, ethnic youths especially if one of them threatened to,shoot you and two are getting physical.

I dunno.

I watched again and it looked like a negligent discharge, not a warning shot...

Stay off his damn lawn. Those kids need to learn some respect 

If I were to pull a gun (and shoot it?!) at some kids for walking on my lawn, I'd be arrested. Most likely for attempted murder.

This piece of shit cop should have to suffer the same fate.

The issue that the public has with police stems from the fact that they are seemingly above the law. They're not supposed to be.

This is criminal.

Just took "hey you kids, get off my lawn" to a whole new level.

He tried to build a wall to keep them out, but his neighbor's wouldn't help pay for it.