Official 49er fan thread

I love this kid. Checks all the boxes. Really pulling for him. Hopefully he doesn’t have a massage therapist fetish…

1 Like

Trey is checking in at 6’4” / 224 lbs and he’s only 20 years old. Kid is monster already AND not even close to his prime.

Sky’s the limit IMO

His stats remind me of one of my favorite Dre Dog lyrics growing up…

“Six-six two-twenty, not a Tommy Tucker

You don’t like me I ain’t scared of you muthafucka”

1 Like

Lol no lies detected

1 Like

LOL

1 Like

Ted Nguyen is a very good film guy from The Athletic. He posted an article about his 10 favorite scheme and player fits from the draft, and #1 is Lance to the 49ers. Here’s what he had to say:

1. Trey Lance, QB, San Francisco 49ers (No. 3)

Play style: Rocket arm passer who can quickly get rid of the ball, elusive runner who can finish runs with power.
Scheme: Heavy play-action (bootlegs), West Coast.

The assumption from many reporters and analysts was that Kyle Shanahan wanted a pocket passer above all else, which is why the narrative that he was infatuated with Mac Jones, even though Shanahan and John Lynch didn’t tell anyone who they were going to pick before they actually made the pick, ran rampant. The reality is, if you paid attention to what Shanahan has said in the last couple of years, it was evident the qualities he valued in a quarterback were shifting, alongside the rest of the league.

“Then when you add on a type of running element, which I’ve always been intrigued with but when you’ve got a guy who’s got the skill sets, as far as speed and size to where you’re not going to make them a runner,” Shanahan said when asked what attracted him to Trey Lance. “But if you can get in certain formations where the defense knows you will run them, if they don’t honor them, now everything’s different.”

When he was the offensive coordinator in Washington in 2012, Shanahan coached Robert Griffin III. Though Shanahan didn’t have much experience with the spread-option game, he designed a unique offense that blended just enough of the zone read with his signature outside zone run game. Though the zone read wasn’t the main part of their offense, the threat of it completely affected how opponents defended them, which opened up other things for the offense. That experience helped Shanahan understand how valuable the option game is, but he also understood that it’s hard to find a quarterback who could be a running threat and execute his passing game.

“If you can ever get a guy like that and make 11-on-11 football, then I think you’ve got a guy who can change some things for you,” Shanahan said. “But it always comes down to, ‘Yeah, you can dabble in that,’ but you better be confident they can do everything else.”

The “everything else” that he’s talking about is the ability to soak up his playbook and pass the ball with timing and anticipation — something incumbent starter Jimmy Garoppolo has struggled with.

“(Shanahan) wants you to be able to get out and move the pocket a little bit and then put your feet down and deliver the ball to what I call two different locations in the same quick timing,” said quarterbacks coach John Beck, whom Shanahan asked to start working with Lance during the draft process.

One of my favorite qualities I saw from Lance while reviewing his film, is how quickly he progresses through reads and how quickly he snaps his lower body from read to read. The time from when he makes a decision to throw the ball and when the ball arrives at the target because of his lower-body mechanics, release and explosive arm is very short and I believe that is imperative in a Shanahan offense.

With Lance, Shanahan will be able to start tinkering with the option game again and that’ll be fun to watch because he is one of the best run-game designers in the NFL and now, he can be even more creative. Theoretically, when defenses gear up to stop the run, Lance has the smarts, arm and anticipation to take advantage in the passing game.

His other favorite scheme fits:

Waddle to the Dolphins
Surtain to the Broncos
Fields to the Bears
Parsons to the Cowboys
Vera-Tucker to the Jets
Bateman to the Ravens
Barmore to the Patriots
Robinson to the Giants
Sermon to the 49ers

3 Likes

Here is Nguyen’s pre-draft analysis of Lance (this was published on April 1, before the 49ers drafted him). There are a number of videos embedded in the article that I can’t post, so apologies.

Motion

Lance and Mac Jones from Alabama have the cleanest mechanics and footwork in this draft class that does it at a high level overall. Lance does an excellent job of keeping his front shoulder closed. When he throws, his shoulders remain perpendicular to his target as his front foot is completely on the ground. This allows him to generate a ton of torque from his hips. The way the ball jumps out of his hand is impressive.

This pass traveled more than 30 yards in an instant. From the pocket, he can throw with excellent velocity all over the field. His arm strength, quick footwork and mechanics make the time between when he decides where to throw and when the ball arrives at his target very short.

Arm talent

Lance can make every throw with ease. He throws to the sideline with power, and he throws a beautiful moon with air underneath it. His receivers at North Dakota State didn’t create a ton of separation, so he had to make tight-window throws.

On fourth-and-8 with three seconds left before the first half ended, the Bison offense was in a Hail Mary situation from the 28-yard line. The defense lined up in a soft Cover 4 shell. Lance had to get the ball over the underneath defender but outside of the cornerback. He didn’t have a lot of space, but he threw a perfect pass with just the right amount of air as far outside as the ball could get without forcing the receiver too far to the sideline. Unfortunately for North Dakota State, the pass wasn’t caught, but it was an absolute dime.

Lance throws with precise trajectory control, meaning he’s not throwing all moon balls. He has the arm strength and control to be able to put as much air on passes as necessary to get it just over defenders.

Inconsistent accuracy

Inconsistent accuracy is Lance’s biggest issue. He’ll throw a few dimes and let one get away from him, and when it does, it could look ugly. He has a tendency to overthrow fades or throw behind receivers on crossing patterns.

This is a difficult problem to address because his mechanics are so clean that there isn’t anything major he could improve in that area. It’s also important to note that there’s a difference between ball-placement skills and accuracy. Ball placement is knowing where to put the ball relative to the proximity of defenders and the target’s route. Accuracy is the ability to put the ball where you want it. When Lance is in control, the passes he throws are in good locations. When he misses, they’re usually way off.

Second-reaction plays

Lance’s ability to create second-reaction plays was particularly impressive on third downs. He often did a good job of pulling defenders up with the threat of scramble and throwing the ball over their heads for first downs.

Here, the defense dropped eight and rushed only three. Lance wisely took his time and moved around to buy more time. Finally, when the flat defender moved toward him to potentially stop a scramble, he threw the ball over his head.

Here, the defense dropped eight again. This time, Lance scrambled to his left, pulled the flat defender up, and threw a strike to his weak side.

Lance has no trouble throwing with velocity to his left and can also make accurate throws from awkward throwing positions. You don’t see some of the amazing distance throws that Justin Fields and Zach Wilson can make on the run, but Lance has a plan when he gets outside the pocket, he’s difficult to bring down and he can throw accurate ropes while on the run.

It is difficult to gauge how fast Lance is because of the level of his competition. He made a lot of power runs. When he ran, he bulldozed defenders, and he looks to have a quick first step, however, he won’t be able to (nor should he try) lower his shoulders too much in the NFL as it could lead to injuries. He looks like he’ll at least be an effective runner, but whether he can be an explosive runner remains to be seen.

Ability to move from read to read

One of my favorite traits that I saw from Lance is his ability to move quickly from read to read. He has a twitchy lower body and can snap into position to make throws.

Usually, with this sort of crossing concept, quarterbacks will look at the inside crosser first before looking outside, but on the play, after Lance looked at the slot fade, it appeared that he looked straight to the outside route. I’m exactly sure of what he was taught or what he was thinking but maybe he assumed the inside crosser would be taken away because of the coverage. After he saw the outside route covered, the inside linebacker reacted to the running back releasing into a pattern and Lance was able to quickly snap his body and fire the pass in there. Even though it was technically late, his quick thinking, movement and velocity on the ball allowed him to complete the pass.

Lance can sometimes move away from his progressions too quickly without letting them develop.

Here, North Dakota State had a throwback concept with a “sluggo” (slant and go) on the backside and a comeback route on the other. The concept was designed for Lance to roll away from the sluggo. The running back’s job was to block the edge so that Lance has a chance to set up and look back to the sluggo.

Lance likely saw double coverage and moved away from the route. However, his receiver still beat the coverage. Ideally, Lance should have sensed that his receiver was just about to run past the coverage despite their initial position. Instead, Lance quickly snapped his body to the comeback. Again, the pass was late, but he still made a safe sideline throw because of his quick mechanics and fastball.

Lance’s ability to process and snap toward throws will make him an ideal quick game passer.

On third-and-9, the Bison offense called a double speed-out concept. The defense disguised its coverage and rotated the safety down to the three-receiver side. After the snap, Lance saw the safety rotation but noticed that he was breaking inside, so he knew he could still throw to the inside speed out. He reacted in an instant and didn’t lead his receiver too far toward the flat defender.

The team that drafts Lance will be betting on his traits and its ability to develop him. He flashed big-time traits on film but overall, it was average and his accuracy is concerning. The North Dakota State offense didn’t ask him to pass much. North Dakota State was a power running team and ran a lot of run options with Lance. He has a ton of physical talent, he’s intelligent, and he reportedly has a maniacal work ethic.

“The things that they ask him to do at North Dakota State is unlike anywhere else in college football,” Quincy Avery, Lance’s private quarterback coach, said on Pro Football Focus’s college football podcast.

Avery said that Lance was tasked with figuring out the protections, adjusting them based on what he sees, and even calling the backside route concepts on certain play calls. His pre-snap responsibilities are consistent with what Carson Wentz had to do when he was at North Dakota State — the Bison are still running the same concepts. Avery also said that Lance made his own cut-ups and led pass-game meetings.

The NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah echoed the same sentiments on Robert Mays’ “The Football Show”: “Is it all there right now? No, but he has all the traits in the world and he’s absolutely motivated, he has phenomenal work ethic, and he’s highly intelligent. I’m going to bet on that kid.”

Though he has limited film and he’s coming from a small school, Lance is a 20-year-old ball of clay with phenomenal tools — mentally and physically. It’s not hard to see why teams are salivating at the chance to mold him.

3 Likes

Nguyen also noted in the comments that Josh Allen was more inaccurate coming out of college (and admitted that he was not high on Allen)

I would say about 80% of the pundits thought Allen would be a bust

For the record I thought he was going to be a bust

i thought he was going to bust too

Those were excellent articles dizz

Can’t wait to see him in action!

BANG BANG!

keep it up, Creep. you’re the man

thanks for the article, dizz. that stuff about him going through his reads is encouraging.

Good breakdowns.

Starting to get excited for this guy.

Fields look thrilled at the Bears presser…had to make this for my die hard Bears fan friend

1 Like

ZgjnZzM

Daaamn…never seen that…is that Okafor…guy was a bust and a piece of shit

As you can see

u got it.

He should have trusted the process