Official Clarissa Shields hypetrain thread! All aboard!

Lol true true

1 Like

In all honesty its good for her. Floyd made a billion dollars with people wanting to see him lose.

Yeah that’s a big problem… maybe they can set up
A fight with Kayla next year but that might last a minute lol

Yeah women’s mma is just so uneven

Absolutely. There’s no money or respect in Women’s boxing so she needed to do something. If she has to act like a bitch for attention so be it.

1 Like

1 Like

Yeah but Elkins was useless even on top… she was lethargic so Clarissa basically didn’t have to defend from any threat

That was one ugly fight.

Lol

Omg you idiots are acting like she just won a Pride GP or something. She beat up a random chick after a struggle and after all of that hype??? Does anybody even remember the name of her opponent? EXACTLY

1 Like

Did you expect her to blow this chick out after 7 months of training guy? We all knew she was getting taken down. She even knew and admitted there was a real possibility she could lose this fight lol.

1 Like

I didn’t expect Shields to look so great in her first fight. My criticism is more directed at her opponent. In all honesty, if that was a fight between 2 male competitors people on here would be screaming “fix”. Her opponent for a brown belt in jiu jitsu maintained top control for 2 rounds and barely did anything with it.

As mentioned by another poster Shields was actively trying to give up her back but her opponent actually prevented it from happening in mount. She kept throwing her arms up to be armbarred and her opponent refused to take it for the majority of being on top. When she did attempt an armbar attempt it was terrible.

Finally, she actually got herself tangled on the ground while in half guard and reaching around Claressa’s back side with both arms essentially locking up all her limbs and allowing Claressa to punch her head. It was a bizarre performance.

2 Likes

I thought soon as it went to the ground it was over for her. she did good considering shes only trained 7 months. Her boxing was great of course…if she learns tdd and grappling she will be pretty interesting

Her opponent trapped herself in a deep half/turtle hybrid with her arms reaching around Shields’s backside. If that was a male fighter he would be crucified for that. They touted her as a brown belt in BJJ but to put it in the nicest of terms it was very strange.

1 Like

I can understand how someone might not like Clarissa. She is a black girl who was a poor kid from Flint, Michigan. She has boxed for many years and hung around people like the Dirrell brothers. We’ve seen Dirrell’s family sucker punch a fighter in the ring and Clarissa’s family sucker punch and old man at a weighin. Clarissa for all of her traveling with boxing comes off as quite ignorant. Watching her since she turned pro, her personality doesn’t make her real likable. There is a video where Andre Ward is giving her some real good advice on developing better angles and ways to attack. She seemed like she was pretty much blowing off what he was telling her, like she knows everything. The thing is she is pretty one dimensional with her offensive. She comes straight forward, but for womens boxing it works. She also talks about her power a lot, yet she never knocks out anyone. I also remember on Rogan, she was shocked that Rogan said people didn’t know who Errol Spence was. Outside of hardcore fight fans, nobody does know him. She also sounded pretty bad talking about her yoga instructor named Laqueisha. I don’t know whatelse people might know about her. She definitely comes off though like the stereotype that people might have of a girl from the hood in Flint.

2 Likes

I was wondering why she wasn’t letting go of the leg there. Literally just took punches there and didn’t try to improve her position.

I enjoyed her post fight interview in the cage.

I talk about fight IQ all the time. Her opponent showed none of it in the fight. She kept reaching around Shields back and wouldn’t let go which effectively trapped her there. She should pulled deep half and either recovered full guard or go for a sweep.

1 Like

I don’t get where everyone is coming from saying it was a bad fight. It wasn’t. I think if anything they matched Shields too tough out of the box. If she’s serious about MMA (and I think she is) she needs more seasoning against lower tier competition. Chicks with 3-1 records and a blue belt. Elkin had a huge layoff before this fight and she was brought in to lose. A lot of people hate Shields I guess, and you can draw your own conclusions as to why. She did her job and for only a few month of training and little understanding of the sport, she did well. Elkin nearly won and I personally think she had a big adrenaline dump. Shit happens.

Who would she be matched up against? We are talking about a non existent 155lb WMMA division. Elkin was Kayla’s first match up at 155 too.

I came off a little dickish in this thread. 5 yr anniversary of my dog’s passing so I am a little butthurt today. Sorry fellas.

1 Like

It’s ok buddy

1 Like