OG bird experts: Hawks and cats/small dogs. . .

I've got a hawk that seems to be taking up residence in my yard. I'm a nature loving, live and let live kind of guy. I consider my yard a nature preserve. However, i'm getting conflicting reports that hawks may kills and eat small dogs and even full grown cats. Is this true? Can I leave him be, or do I need to go chicken hunting? Phone Post 3.0

Possible but unlikely. Owls are worse Phone Post 3.0

Had a hawk kill our desert tortoise. Fucking dick. We loved that guy. Phone Post 3.0

youarewhatiswrong - I've got a hawk that seems to be taking up residence in my yard. I'm a nature loving, live and let live kind of guy. I consider my yard a nature preserve. However, i'm getting conflicting reports that hawks may kills and eat small dogs and even full grown cats. Is this true? Can I leave him be, or do I need to go chicken hunting? Phone Post 3.0

I had some property that needed a few tress downed. One of them had what was deemed an abandoned hawks nest in it. When they removed the thing they dug 3 or 4 pet collars out of the fucker.

itskrisdude -
youarewhatiswrong - I've got a hawk that seems to be taking up residence in my yard. I'm a nature loving, live and let live kind of guy. I consider my yard a nature preserve. However, i'm getting conflicting reports that hawks may kills and eat small dogs and even full grown cats. Is this true? Can I leave him be, or do I need to go chicken hunting? Phone Post 3.0

I had some property that needed a few tress downed. One of them had what was deemed an abandoned hawks nest in it. When they removed the thing they dug 3 or 4 pet collars out of the fucker.
You fuckin' with me right here? Phone Post 3.0

youarewhatiswrong - 
itskrisdude -

You fuckin' with me right here? Phone Post 3.0

Ha, nah man that really happened. Nest looked huge to me though - wondered if it actually belonged to an eagle.

sounds like a rock to me brah

KenBania - Couple of big birds attacking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WvApXZ8d1U
Alright, well fuck birds. Phone Post 3.0

We have a local hawk in the neighborhood. He's cool as fuck and takes care of the local rodents an other vermin. He usually just hangs out on top of a utility pole near my house scanning the yards for dinner. Last year he took a low approach on one of my dogs. We have a 6' privacy fence that he was below when he finally realized an 80 lb dog would be a little tough to pick up...and he finally pulled up. It was fuckin crazy. Phone Post 3.0

I live north of Baltimore and hear about this happening in the city all the time. Most everyone who sees or has an idea about who dunnit cites Hawks.

One guy tells a story about going out to his back yard one night and seeing a bird massacre. Now the victim was just a random pigeon but there was apparently blood and feathers covering his yard. Like more than you think would be on a single pigeon. Phone Post 3.0

I saw a hawk flying low with a baby bunny in its claws and what I assume the mother of the bunny was chasing after it. Kind of sad.

I think it depends on the area you live in. If there are other food sources I bet a hawk snagging a pet is pretty rare.

I live in a rural area and I think I've heard of it happenening maybe twice. Once to a friend of my grandmother's     (hawk tried to snag a little lap dog while it was tied up, so the old lady just pulled the dog back down), and another time I heard about an aquiantance's small cat getting snatched.

I have a LOT of hawks around where I live, and chickens in a fairly large run, but the hawks have never gone after them. I'll see hawks snag songbirds going back and forth from tree to birdfeeder occasionally though.