OG car mechanics..I need A/C help

I have a 2004 Merc Mountaineer. The AC has shot craps on me. I tried one of those charging cans from Auto parts store but no help. I am getting somewhat cool air out of one vent of four.
Also, I had some small pieces of black foam, or rubber material come out of a vent earlier this year.

Do you think this is something I can fix? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined.
What would you do? Phone Post

Blend Door?

Compressor?

Alco Hauler -

Blend Door?

Compressor?

Probably the blend door Phone Post 3.0

My Old Name Is Not Allowed - What the hell is a blend door? lol, but since the experts are here, gonna slip in my question as well... any "stop leaks" that actually work? Charged up the AC on wife's Jeep Cherokee and it was great for like 2 months, and slowly lost its luster. Now it has kind of a funny smell when you turn it on... I'm guessing a leak somewhere.
Better to get the leak detector additive that glows under a uv light and find the leak instead, leak stops for refrigeration expand with air and are known to clog lines and cause compressor failure. Phone Post 3.0

trblesum13 - It's the flux capacitor, duh! Phone Post
Could be.

OP, are you randomly going backwards in time? Phone Post 3.0

It's your blend door YouTube will most likely help you. In my car you must remove the dash to get to it= No ac for me. Phone Post

psillypico - It's your blend door YouTube will most likely help you. In my car you must remove the dash to get to it= No ac for me. Phone Post
Mine went out in my newer model Chevy silverado this summer, lucky for me all I had to remove was the glove box. Phone Post 3.0

My Old Name Is Not Allowed - What the hell is a blend door? lol, but since the experts are here, gonna slip in my question as well... any "stop leaks" that actually work? Charged up the AC on wife's Jeep Cherokee and it was great for like 2 months, and slowly lost its luster. Now it has kind of a funny smell when you turn it on... I'm guessing a leak somewhere.

Of you're getting a funny smell with the ac on chances are the evaporator core is leaking. That's inside the head case. Most cars require removal of the dash to replace. Not sure on your car though. Phone Post

THERESmyCHIPPY -

Of you're getting a funny smell with the ac on chances are the evaporator core is leaking. That's inside the head case. Most cars require removal of the dash to replace. Not sure on your car though. Phone Post

Also what year model is it. I can look it up and see what the procedure is if you want. Phone Post

THERESmyCHIPPY -
THERESmyCHIPPY -

Also what year model is it. I can look it up and see what the procedure is if you want. Phone Post

Could be the refrigerant oil burning on the motor as well. Phone Post 3.0

If it is leaking liquid. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT - I have a 2004 Merc Mountaineer. The AC has shot craps on me. I tried one of those charging cans from Auto parts store but no help. I am getting somewhat cool air out of one vent of four.
Also, I had some small pieces of black foam, or rubber material come out of a vent earlier this year.

Do you have automatic ac or is it manual? Usually when you have cool air coming out of one vent and not the others it's usually low on freon. The cooler air will usually come out of the vent that is closest to the evaporator core. Which vent is getting the "cool" air? I believe on your car the evaporator core is closest to the passenger side but I could be wrong. It might be closer to the middle. Not many cars have the evaporator core on the drivers side but some do. When you run the car with the ac on does the compressor cycle a lot or does it run constantly? This time of year it should run constantly. If it's cycling a bunch probably low on freon. There are other things that could cause it but if you're getting sort of cool air from one vent and the compressor cycles a bunch most likely cause is a low charge. How many cans did you out in? Fords typically hold quite a bit of freon so if it was empty or close to it one can wouldn't do a whole lot. You could try putting a few more cans in. I'll look real quick and see what the total charge should be for the system for you. Phone Post

THERESmyCHIPPY -
UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT - I have a 2004 Merc Mountaineer. The AC has shot craps on me. I tried one of those charging cans from Auto parts store but no help. I am getting somewhat cool air out of one vent of four.

Do you have automatic ac or is it manual? Usually when you have cool air coming out of one vent and not the others it's usually low on freon. The cooler air will usually come out of the vent that is closest to the evaporator core. Which vent is getting the "cool" air? I believe on your car the evaporator core is closest to the passenger side but I could be wrong. It might be closer to the middle. Not many cars have the evaporator core on the drivers side but some do. When you run the car with the ac on does the compressor cycle a lot or does it run constantly? This time of year it should run constantly. If it's cycling a bunch probably low on freon. There are other things that could cause it but if you're getting sort of cool air from one vent and the compressor cycles a bunch most likely cause is a low charge. How many cans did you out in? Fords typically hold quite a bit of freon so if it was empty or close to it one can wouldn't do a whole lot. You could try putting a few more cans in. I'll look real quick and see what the total charge should be for the system for you. Phone Post

Its on the right. It sounds like its coming on but no cold air. I used a charging can...no luck. Phone Post

Your system holds 32 Oz if you do NOT have rear ac and 56 Oz if you DO have rear ac. Cans are usually 12 Oz so you're looking at roughly 3 or 4.5 cans respectively. Phone Post

UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
THERESmyCHIPPY -

Its on the right. It sounds like its coming on but no cold air. I used a charging can...no luck. Phone Post

It could be locked out completely by the low pressure switch as well. Phone Post 3.0

Danger'sDaddy -
UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
THERESmyCHIPPY -

It could be locked out completely by the low pressure switch as well. Phone Post 3.0

So should I just let a shop fix it or try to myself? Phone Post

Also I don't think it's gonna be the blend door. Usually if that's the problem the air will be the same temp out of all vents unless you have dual climate control then it'll only affect one side. If the door for the passenger side the drivers side will still blow good and cold and vise versa. You also don't typically see refrigerant oil burning off of the engine. Most of your lines are far enough away from the engine that that won't happen. It would pretty much need to be hitting the exhaust to really smell it burning off. You could smell the freon if it's leaking pretty much anywhere but if it's only when the ac is blowing it's most likely the evaporator core. Again I'm only saying most likely not definitely with out a doubt. Phone Post

UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
Danger'sDaddy -
UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
THERESmyCHIPPY -

If it was me and I wasn't entirely sure how to fix it I'd take it to a shop and get them to check the freon as a first step. If that's not it they'll check it over and tell you what's wrong and you can just decide if its worth it to pay them or do it yourself. Phone Post 3.0

Danger'sDaddy -
UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
THERESmyCHIPPY -

It probably wouldn't cycle if that were the case. Typically when the switch goes bad it just doesn't command the compressor on. It could be a loose connection at the switch though and the vibration from the engine is enough to make and break contact causing it to cycle a bunch but that's a pretty rare case. Phone Post

UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
Danger'sDaddy -
UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT -
THERESmyCHIPPY -

I would open the hood and find the compressor. Start the car and turn on the ac. Watch the clutch hub and visually check that it is cycling. If it is and it's cycling a lot you could just go get a few more cans of freon from the store and add them and see what it does. If it starts blowing cold again you know you have a leak somewhere. It could last the rest of the year or it could all leak out again in a few days. If it leaks out quickly I would take it to a shop and let them find the leak for you. But it sounds to me like it's just low. But without actually looking at it there's no way for me to know for sure. Phone Post