OG HVAC guys, AC help!

So, it's blowing room temperature air out the vents, but the unit outside doesn't seem to be running.

Any ideas? Phone Post 3.0

Check your air filter, check your outside unit to make sure it's clean, if it's not a or b, you probably have a refrigerant leak and need a pro to find and fix.

The outside unit is doing nothing.

Fan isn't running and I don't hear anything. Phone Post 3.0

Check you breaker to the outdoor unit make sure it isn't tripped Phone Post 3.0

Get a pro. If the unit is fairly recent and still good, chances are it'll be cheaper to fix than you think. I had to call a pro a few years ago, my AC unit is like 15+ years old and the guy fixed it for about $100. Sure a new unit will be more efficient and run better, but for now that $100 has kept me nice and cool for a few years now

I have a crappy home warranty, and the guy is coming tomorrow. I have to pay a $100 fee.

The ac unit is old, so eventually it'll break and they'll replace it, theoretically.

Last time it was repaired, the guy they sent out 3 times kept fixing different things. Eventually, I told them to send someone else. The idiot overcharged the unit, and the second company fixed it in like 5 minutes. Phone Post 3.0

http://i.imgur.com/k2K4iWh.jpg

Is this white tube coming from the house, but not connected anything?

I'm not even sure what this would connect to... Phone Post 3.0

Condensor could be broken.

Starter could be broken.

Wash the outdoor unit with a hose.

Replace filter.

If air is coming through the vents... the fan has to be working.

You may need a few liters of charge (refrigerant).

Slapsymaxi - http://i.imgur.com/k2K4iWh.jpg

Is this white tube coming from the house, but not connected anything?

I'm not even sure what this would connect to... Phone Post 3.0

Yeah that thing looks ancient, the should just replace it at this point. Especially if they plan on charging the unit.

Ac guy here.
There are many reasons the outside unit isn't coming on.

Some units have a float switch installed in the emergency pan or coil that kills the 24v to bring on the outdoor unit.
If your air handler/furnace is in the attic....check the pan under it for water.
If your unit is under the house, do you have a condensate pump installed? I find tripped gfci receptacles keeping the pump off.

Yesterday I found landscapers had hit the low voltage line at the condenser with a weed eater.

Could be ants in the contactor, bad contacts in the contactor , capacitor, low freon if you have a low pressure switch, compressor, thermostat(does it have batteries?), tripped breaker, many many more reasons.

I don't recommend trying to troubleshoot it in much detail.

Check for clogged drain. Maybe a safety switch keeping it off to protect your ceiling.
Cut the thermostat off. Stand beside the condenser and have someone set the Thermostat to cool. If you hear a "click". That means the contactor pulled I and the problem is outside.

FYI if you find water, just remove with a shop vac and it will start working but only till the pans fills back up and the drain is clear Phone Post 3.0

Ok I saw the pic. That tube is a drain. I bet it goes under the house to your unit and is attached to a pump. Make sure the pump is plugged up and the receptacle has power. Give the pump a shake.

On top of the pump their are 2 little wires. If they are wired up they will keep your ac off if the pump fails to pump. It keeps you from water damage Phone Post 3.0

albinorhino - Ok I saw the pic. That tube is a drain. I bet it goes under the house to your unit and is attached to a pump. Make sure the pump is plugged up and the receptacle has power. Give the pump a shake.

On top of the pump their are 2 little wires. If they are wired up they will keep your ac off if the pump fails to pump. It keeps you from water damage Phone Post 3.0
This sounds like it could be the issue?

That pump is attached to the unit outside? Or that'd be in the house? Phone Post 3.0

DangerDaddy is excellent with this. He walked me through repairs a couple times Phone Post 3.0

bad capacitor

It prob is a capacitor, I'm just giving options that slap might be able to find.

I have seen many times the plug outlet under the house that the pump is plugged into lose power because it was wired with all the other gfci or outdoor outlets. Many people get irrigation(rain bird) and it all gets plugged into the garage outlet . Or outdoor lighting fails and trips the outlet or breaker. Phone Post 3.0

if it is a capacitor, if you have a local grainger or johnstone supply, they will sell to the public.  it can be hard to find places that do sell ac repair items to the public.

what about if it is blowing room temp air but the outside unit is running? not sure if it is the compressor or just the fan outside running

edwims - what about if it is blowing room temp air but the outside unit is running? not sure if it is the compressor or just the fan outside running
If the compressor capacitor is bad, the compressor won't kick on, but the fan will, so it will seem like it's working, but it's really not. Listen to see if the compressor is kicking on. Phone Post 3.0

Right Hand JO Power - 
edwims - what about if it is blowing room temp air but the outside unit is running? not sure if it is the compressor or just the fan outside running
If the compressor capacitor is bad, the compressor won't kick on, but the fan will, so it will seem like it's working, but it's really not. Listen to see if the compressor is kicking on. Phone Post 3.0

hmm....I'll have to give it a try after my son gets home

thanks

it sure sounds like the compressor is running to me....i washed off the outside unit with the hose and cleaned the filter inside the furnace space door...vacuumed and wiped down all of that in there....maybe that will help