Og landscapers

Spike aerator vs plug aerator?

Live in northeast. 1/2 acre of land. Open yard. Just got a lawn tractor. Yard is beaten up, lots of weeds. Really trying to fix it up as best as possible.

Gonna buy an aerator, as I heard this will help (lawn probably has never been aerated). Plug areator has deeper tines, but placed farther apart than spike attachment. Spike has more plugs, looks more durable, but tines dont cut as deep. Phone Post

I was always taught that all a spike aerator does is compact the soil which is one of the things you are trying to avoid when dealing with soils.

Would it be cheaper to pay someone to do it? We have a service that only charges us 65-70 once a year. If you cut your grass longer the roots will grow deeper. This makes your yard thicker and healthier. It took us a couple of years to fix our yard from previous owners screw up.

The plug costs about 100 but I like the idea of doing it when I want.

Appreciate the advice all. Phone Post

Don't bother aerating, it's pointless. My dad has been landscaping for almost 40 years. Get a thatch remover. It basically power rakes your lawn. Pulls out the moss and dead grass and shit. Then hit it with some moss control and fertilizer and you're good to go Phone Post 3.0

GS27 - Don't bother aerating, it's pointless. My dad has been landscaping for almost 40 years. Get a thatch remover. It basically power rakes your lawn. Pulls out the moss and dead grass and shit. Then hit it with some moss control and fertilizer and you're good to go Phone Post 3.0

This... Phone Post

"Aerating is pointless."

Go to your nearest golf course and tell them that.

To answer your question OP; plug aerator.

My parents had sod placed on their entire property. About 3 weeks after it was laid down, I decided to rent an aerator and do the entire yard. Had a big rain a couple days later and the yard was ruined for the next two months. Phone Post 3.0

^ why did you aerate new sod?

Harmon Whistler -

^ why did you aerate new sod?

He's from Chicago, waddya expect? Phone Post

I had no idea what I was doing lol Phone Post 3.0