OG Legal gurus.....Question.

If I were a baker of cakes or a maker of anything actually but lets go with cakes.

Can I charge whatever I want for every cake I sell?
Does that price have to be uniform?

Example:

I make a wedding cake for Paul and wendys wedding it is 4 tiers with all that hard icing shit on it blah blah blah. I charge them 500.00 for this cake.

Two days later Neal and Bob come in and they want a wedding cake for their wedding. same cake they had seen at their friend Paul and Wendys.

Can I then choose to charge Neal and Bob 185,000.00 or the same cake?

100% yes.

So why dont these religious bakers just agree to make gay wedding cakes tell them the cake will cost 100,000 or 1 million bucks and they want half down non-refundable to make it?

Save themselves the hassle of lawsuits and shit like that.

If they could show the price change was discriminatory then it could be a different issue Phone Post 3.0

checkuroil - If they could show the price change was discriminatory then it could be a different issue Phone Post 3.0

Could be. But there's a huge legal hurdle in there. I'd love to see that played out in court.

Could be a Robinson-Patman Act violation.

Fighting - 
checkuroil - If they could show the price change was discriminatory then it could be a different issue Phone Post 3.0

Could be. But there's a huge legal hurdle in there. I'd love to see that played out in court.

Please elaborate on teh legal hurdle

But more likely the FTC would just push your crap in for unfair trade practices... that is if the local state attorney general didn't get to you first.

But yeah, the short answer is that is not legal.

I would %$#@ any cake. I don't discriminate.

I was thinking on terms of a 50% rate hike. I don't think anyone could argue that and win. But a 1500X rate hike you could say is discriminatory.

I don't fuckign know.

I just know that in my business if you are a nice family, I can help you on the price. If you are an asshole. You pay full price. It's at my discretion to charge waht i want though. Nothing could stop me from a dude calling and acting like an asshole and me telling him the price just went up. I own the product I am selling. I can charge waht i want. It's the free market, he can either buy it or not.

Fake Pie - Could be a Robinson-Patman Act violation.

Googled that, seems that this applies to impact on competition. I.E. If I controlled the pink widget market that ford and gm needed I could not charge ford more for the same widget than GM as that would impact fords ability to remain competitive.

I think I got that right.

So charging one person more for cake has no impact on their ability to compete.

the only thing I have found is that you cant use price discrimination based on race religion nationality or gender.

Yeah Robinson is seldom used. Every state has an unfair practices act. I could likely find something this would run afoul of in there.

Obviously if you base it on any kind of prohibited class you are going to be violating those laws as well.

The Popeye - If I were a baker of cakes or a maker of anything actually but lets go with cakes.

Example:

I make a wedding cake for Paul and wendys wedding it is 4 tiers with all that hard icing shit on it blah blah blah. I charge them 500.00 for this cake.

Two days later Neal and Bob come in and they want a wedding cake for their wedding. same cake they had seen at their friend Paul and Wendys.

No.

Dougie - 

I would %$#@ any cake. I don't discriminate.

We found a Confectionsexual.

Bucephalus - 
The Popeye - If I were a baker of cakes or a maker of anything actually but lets go with cakes.

Example:

No.

Why discriminatory pricing is legal and is done all the time.

I pay more than a senior citizen at dennys.

Some place offer lower prices for servicemen and women or first responders. Insurance companies charge more for teens and people with bad driving records?

ttt

You are not allowed to violate discrimination laws. Hence, you can't just charge 'anything'. There are also a bunch of States that regulate prices in the case of an emergency (to prevent gouging). I'm sure there are more examples.

You can't sell one person a cake for one price and another the same cake for an exorbitant price.  Just make sure the cake you're selling at a higher price is in some way different from the other cake and you're fine.  How it's different is up to you.