OG Motorcycle Mechanics???

So I have a 2004 Vulcan and I'm having trouble with the chain / sprockets. I can't seem to get the proper tightness on the chain.

When the tire rotates, I hear a noise and it gets super tight and it rotates a little more and get super loose. I just had the chain and both sprockets, front and back, changed a few months ago. The rear sprocket seems like it has a little play in it when I wiggle it from side to side.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

For your troubles:

https://pin.it/grghhuwmgvg5ns

I can also use some help on how to post pictures from the app.

Just a guess, wheel bearing?

Barbasol -

Just a guess, wheel bearing?

Thanks. Bike has about 40,000 miles. I will check that.

Bump

Have you adjusted and lubricated the chain since  you had it installed?

Spin the reel wheel without the chain or have the chain loose enough so the wheel spins easily. See if the sprocket is perfectly round and not oval. Do the same for the front sprocket. I doubt the front sprocket is the problem tho. If anything is out of round you will see it when you spin it.  That should be a good start.

Thank you all for the sound advice. I will start doing these suggestions tomorrow and keep you posted.

Rocket Surgeon -

Have you adjusted and lubricated the chain since  you had it installed?

Yes. Chain Wax and regular adjustments. 

If the chain gets tighter and looser in spots when you spin the wheel it's likely the chain is stretched and wearing prematurely. That's why I asked if you had ever serviced the chain. I'm a motorcycle mechanic btw.

How do the sprockets look, do the teeth look thin or hooked at all? Pull the chain away from the rear sprocket where it wraps around. Does it feel tight or can you pull it away from the sprocket?

I am not a motorcycle mechanic but I am an industrial mechanic/technician. Chains stretch and sprockets wear and the grooves become deeper which also loosens the chain.

Thank you Rocket Surgeon and pcuzz. I'm at work but will check those things when I get back. I love the OG.

Q: Are there any better soundtracks than from Vietnam war movies?

A: Hell no!

You mentioned that the rear sprocket has some "play". Idk how much play you have, but any play at all is too much.

wormiwalkinstik - You mentioned that the rear sprocket has some "play". Idk how much play you have, but any play at all is too much.
It's been a while since I worked on bikes, but, if I recall, you need to be on the bike to properly tension the chain... maybe not.

Ttt for RHJOP

Chain might be damaged or rusted in one spot.

I agree with checking all that’s been mentioned, I had a similar issue on an old bike awhile ago.  Turned out to be the swingarm bushings needed replaced.  Assuming it’s swingarm bike, check that it’s torqued to spec.  It may be loose or like I said, may need something addressed in that regard.

Aaronrodgers=GOAT -

Ttt for RHJOP

I don't know shit,  but I'd guess the chain is fucked and I'd swap out the sprockets too because whomever did the prior work probably fucked it all up.