OG mtn bikers, i need advice.

I want to get back into riding, a little bit of XC but definitely want to get to ride DH at local resorts this summer.

Don't want to put alot of money into a bike because who knows how many times i'll get to go, anyways, found some on c-list and i see some full suspension models from he 90s (this is when i used to ride).

Just wanted to know if it's a good idea to get one of these old models and tune it up a bit and ride dh or should i look to buying a used low end hardtail?

Any advice is appreciated and also for any DH riders, do you ride w/ regulars sneakers/hiking boots or clip ins?

What is your budget? What are the local resorts? Check the buy and sell on pinkbike.com, you will get access to the best of what is out there for inventory on decent bikes.Bikes have come a long way from the 90's, this is hugely so for DH bikes. A modern DH bike is a sex magic gravity machine.If I had a lower end budget I would get a more modern hardtail, if I could splash out a bit I would look for a used trail/enduro bike. You are not going to be able to XC a modern DH bike, so you are either going to have to get a trail/enduro bike and use it as your do everything bike, or get a DH bike and get something else for XC. I ride 5/10s flats when I DH. I used to ride skate shoes but once you try a set of 5/10s you will not want to ride anything else. Ask away on questions if you have them, I will do my best to answer.

Fecking formatting. HTF do I edit my post?

BIKES!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

Just post the bikes you're looking at.

Agree with the poster above. You need an Enduro. You can't downhill with a hard tail and you can't cross country with a downhill bike. The bikes from the 90's are good but they don't compare to a newer bike. You can get a nice five year old bike for a pretty reasonable buck. Phone Post 3.0

Get a nomad 27.5 no can defend. Jk but that's what I did. Phone Post 3.0

ok this is how far out i am with mtn bikes, so there's an enduro type of mtn bike now?

i'd say $500 is my max but would like to stay under it if possible.

i have no problem w/ a used and older model.

In on this. I live in Portland Oregon where there's tons of spots. I used to skate full time but quit about 5 years ago. Most my friends ride weekly and downhill at Mt. Hood. They've been trying to talk me into riding but I'm hesitate on spending a bunch of money on a bike and not liking it. Phone Post 3.0

redwhiteandblues - ok this is how far out i am with mtn bikes, so there's an enduro type of mtn bike now?

Ok, here's your challenge -- if you choose to accept it.

Find bikes for >$500 on CL and post them here. We (people who ride) will pick one for you.

Being the OG, people will disagree and shit on each other's opinions. You will get to see the 's and -'s of all the shit bikes you're looking at.

Profit.

(you will end up with a kinda shit bike for >$500)

Fuck, I suck at math. Oh well, I'm better at riding.

What do you modern MTB aficionados think of the bikes from bikesdirect.com?

I am also looking to get back into it, and have been out of the scene since the 90s. There are some really good deals on bikesdirect, but all the modern components are new to me.

You won't get a bike suitable for downhill for $500 I think. Phone Post 3.0

i ride a moto from bikes direct. have been for the last 4-5 years. as long as you can do the setup yourself or take it to a shop, it requires some assembly and will defintely need some adjustment. if i can learn, anyone can....youtube and parktool are great resources

Sorry but if you want to DH you need to spend $. If you can find a Santa Cruz Bullit for $500 I would get that. Phone Post 3.0

redwhiteandblues - ok this is how far out i am with mtn bikes, so there's an enduro type of mtn bike now?

Enduro is a bit of a marketing buzz word right now but typically an enduro bike is a full suspension bike with about 6" of travel front and rear.  The geometry on bike typically leaves towards a slack head angle, longer wheel base, low bottom bracket, and short chain stays. 

Think of an enduro rig as a mini-DH bike if you like. 

Resident A Hole - What do you modern MTB aficionados think of the bikes from bikesdirect.com?

I am also looking to get back into it, and have been out of the scene since the 90s. There are some really good deals on bikesdirect, but all the modern components are new to me.

I had not heard of bikes direct before.  I just checked them out and I would stay away from what they have to offer.  The brands are ones I am not familiar with and most of them look like they would not stand up to the abuse a bike will likely see.  Looks for brand like Cannondale, Commencal, Devinci, GT, Ibis, Intense, Kona, Lapierre, Marin, Norco, Pivot, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Scott, Specialized, Transition, Trek, and Yeti.  These are the bigger and/or better bike companies that you are unlikely to go wrong with.

If I was on a tight budget I would be looking for a gently used, reasonably new, hardtail from  pinkbike.com.

Kamikaze Emu -

Enduro is a bit of a marketing buzz word right now but typically an enduro bike is a full suspension bike with about 6" of travel front and rear.  The geometry on bike typically leaves towards a slack head angle, longer wheel base, low bottom bracket, and short chain stays. 

Think of an enduro rig as a mini-DH bike if you like. 

A mini-DH bike that can climb. Phone Post 3.0

First of all, at $500 you're at the bottom of the barrel no matter where you look. If you cAn get up towards $1k your options will improve remarkably.

You should be looking for full suspension, any amount will do, hydraulic brakes, mechanical disc brakes at worst, and just take what you can get from there.

Emu guy is mostly right but I've found pinkbike to be a bit expensive in my ?imited searching on there. CL or ebay will get you much better deals.

Also put aside at least $100 for tools, tubes, a helmet, maybe pedals if it doesn't come with them. Phone Post 3.0

Resident A Hole - What do you modern MTB aficionados think of the bikes from bikesdirect.com?

Only seen good reviews on the Internet by probable shills. Idiotic shit like people buy the bike just for components. Wheels and frame geo aren't that great and those are just as important as having an xt vs slx derailleur imo. Phone Post 3.0