OG parents - feel bad for disciplining your kids?

Blew my top at my middle kid today.  She was whining, crying and generally having a tantrum.  As she was spazzing out her older sister tried to hold her comfort her and she head butted big sis causing a cut to her mouth.   I know I had to make sure she knew it wasn’t acceptable but I still feel like garbage.  

Discipline always seems to fall on me, and if there’s one thing that will set me off is when the kids hurt each other.  No spanking, but there was yelling and scared the hell out of her.  It’s the part of parenting I like the least.  

It’s a tough balance. Trying to be disciplined, patient when it’s all going crazy and then trying to show them what’s what. In your scenario I’d be pissed too.

I have spanked, try not to but sometimes it’s super necessary. I grew up that way, with the chancla (sandal) and belt to the rear if I acted up. I’d like to think it’s one of the reasons I’m not a peaceful protestor.

You just have to do your best. Explain why afterwards when the dust settles.

Discipline is tough for sure. I remember thinking that spanking was the thing to do because it's how I was raised. I realized early, having a conversation and then handing out additional chores, grounding, etc worked a lot better for my kids. I think it helps them remember why what they did was wrong rather than it being overshadowed by the punishment. 

Fu k no.  Kids need to learn fast before they get older....

danybayamon23 -

It’s a tough balance. Trying to be disciplined, patient when it’s all going crazy and then trying to show them what’s what. In your scenario I’d be pissed too.

I have spanked, try not to but sometimes it’s super necessary. I grew up that way, with the chancla (sandal) and belt to the rear if I acted up. I’d like to think it’s one of the reasons I’m not a peaceful protestor.

Man, I dated a Cuban girl in high school and I remember the girl mouthing of to her mom and mom disappearing. After about 30 seconds of silence I see a fucking sandal come flying across the room and hit my girlfriend in the face lol. I had no fucking clue what to do in that moment. 

5 Likes
RichardGere'sMissingGerbil -
danybayamon23 -

Man, I dated a Cuban girl in high school and I remember the girl mouthing of to her mom and mom disappearing. After about 30 seconds of silence I see a fucking sandal come flying across the room and hit my girlfriend in the face lol. I had no fucking clue what to do in that moment. 

That’s hilarious.

Reminds me of a bit from George Lopez’ “Why you crying?” special.

basically goes ”No Piper, Piper calm down. That’s not nice. Latina mom will take you out to the van, look at the camera smile and wave, then turn her back and WAKATA!”. 

2 Likes
danybayamon23 -

lol.  I can only remember my Mom hitting me once in my life.

I was around 4 or 5 and said “fuck” for some reason.  She took off the flip flop/sandal from her foot and smacked me across the mouth with it like she was swatting a fly.

Ahh, the 80’s.  What a time to be alive.

1 Like
Hocky -
danybayamon23 -

I was around 4 or 5 and said “fuck” for some reason.  She took off the flip flop/sandal from her foot and smacked me across the mouth with it like she was swatting a fly.

My parents made me eat soap once because I asked them what an orgasm was. My older brothers friend tricked me into it. The worst part was having to taste the shitty bologna sandwich they packed in my lunch a second time while I was throwing up. Lol, yup it was the 80's.

Not at all, there is reason behind it! 

RichardGere'sMissingGerbil - 
Hocky -
danybayamon23 -

My parents made me eat soap once because I asked them what an orgasm was. My older brothers friend tricked me into it. The worst part was having to taste the shitty bologna sandwich they packed in my lunch a second time while I was throwing up. Lol, yup it was the 80's.

I always thought the soap thing was only in the movies until about a few years ago, when a friend told me she would shove soap into her little son's mouth if he would cuss.

lol.  You didn't even have to tell me it was the 80's...Nothing says 80's like a bologna sandiwch.

I think if you give a kid a bologna sandwich these days, CPS takes them away and puts you behind bars.

1 Like

Nope...

I'm pretty tough too...

But fair... 

And she's extremely loved...

ABCTT_Disco Dracula -

Nope...

I'm pretty tough too...

But fair... 

Im pretty hard on her though...

Not at all. Guidance and discipline are some of the main parts of parenting. 

1 Like
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -

Nope...

I'm pretty tough too...

But fair... 

It’s harder with the younger one.  The older one, she’s pretty tough.  The younger one is normally all smiles and light and much more empathetic.  Normally throwing her a hard look will let her know she needs to fix things.   Blowing up at her makes me worry I scarred her.  

I love my kids, and it kills me to do it, even though I know it’s part of the job of parenting.   Especially when I know if I was a little less tired, a little less hungry and stressed out from the week I could have handled it better.  

danybayamon23 -

https://youtu.be/QBAyqHsRIss

1 Like

the key is to not do it mad

discipline is good for kids, like feeding them healthy food. it doesnt make them happy though and it needs to be done right

the only time i ever laid a hand on my kids in when theyre doing something thats risking death, like sprinting towrds a street or acting crazy in the car and distracting the driver. they need to know some situations arent play time. other situations taking away things they like is way more appropriate

danybayamon23 -

i got hit by at least 2 chancletas in Panama growing up in school. panamanian women teachers could pitch in the MLB

i deserved it both times

nottheface -
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -

Nope...

I'm pretty tough too...

But fair... 

It’s harder with the younger one.  The older one, she’s pretty tough.  The younger one is normally all smiles and light and much more empathetic.  Normally throwing her a hard look will let her know she needs to fix things.   Blowing up at her makes me worry I scarred her.  

I love my kids, and it kills me to do it, even though I know it’s part of the job of parenting.   Especially when I know if I was a little less tired, a little less hungry and stressed out from the week I could have handled it better.  

I hear you brother...

I rule with a semi iron fist in the household... Even the Mrs goes along with what I decree... It's just how it is... I'm not trying to say that I'm some oppressive boss but I'm 100% head of this family...

But we work together... I'm just as accountable as everyone else... To lead, I must serve...

My daughter turns 8 this year... I have her make her own breakfast and lunch, everyday (mostly)... She does chores around the property, pages (schooling)... 

I totally get that bad feeling sometimes... (When I'm going all henry the 8th...) And sometimes I think about how beautiful and sweet she is, with just about everything...her crafts, the things she makes etc....and I feel bad, but...

I'm her father first... And she's honestly one of my most bestess friends... honestly...       But I'm her father first... Her master....

If the love is there, (you know what I mean) your kids will be alright...

I grew up in the, "walk it off" parenting system....

Get the wind knocked out of you...? Walk it off...

Slam your balls on your bike seat doing a jump off of the curb...? Walk it off...

Got a 2 inch splinter from the backyard deck...?

"Stop your crying, and walk it off..."

Im the same way with my daughter... She's seriously so fucking tough and she doesn't even know it.....

But that's how my family works...you can't be weak in this house.... But gawt damn is there a lot of love...

The animals here at castle Dracula are treated the same way... Assimilate or get fucked... everyone falls in line... they have to... But it's countered with love.... It's actually kind of hard to explain with my thumbs on a phone....

1 Like
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -
nottheface -
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -
ABCTT_Disco Dracula -

Nope...

I'm pretty tough too...

But fair... 

I hear you brother...

I rule with a semi iron fist in the household... Even the Mrs goes along with what I decree... It's just how it is... I'm not trying to say that I'm some oppressive boss but I'm 100% head of this family...

But we work together... I'm just as accountable as everyone else... To lead, I must serve...

My daughter turns 8 this year... I have her make her own breakfast and lunch, everyday (mostly)... She does chores around the property, pages (schooling)... 

I totally get that bad feeling sometimes... (When I'm going all henry the 8th...) And sometimes I think about how beautiful and sweet she is, with just about everything...her crafts, the things she makes etc....and I feel bad, but...

I'm her father first... And she's honestly one of my most bestess friends... honestly...       But I'm her father first... Her master....

If the love is there, (you know what I mean) your kids will be alright...

I grew up in the, "walk it off" parenting system....

Get the wind knocked out of you...? Walk it off...

Slam your balls on your bike seat doing a jump off of the curb...? Walk it off...

Got a 2 inch splinter from the backyard deck...?

"Stop your crying, and walk it off..."

Im the same way with my daughter... She's seriously so fucking tough and she doesn't even know it.....

But that's how my family works...you can't be weak in this house.... But gawt damn is there a lot of love...

The animals here at castle Dracula are treated the same way... Assimilate or get fucked... everyone falls in line... they have to... But it's countered with love.... It's actually kind of hard to explain with my thumbs on a phone....

Also..........

I mean, shit....

I have four cats.... I rule like an animal king.... They get the language.... When we ( the family) move to a different room, ( and they do this with me throughout the day, every single day) they follow us.... 

So many times in our house, is every single breathing creature, in the same room...like a caravan...

Like I said...it's hard to explain with thumbs and so much goes into it... Body language, eye contact, sounds etc.... Just how it it is....