OG, What do I do about this employee...

I have discovered that one of my employees is living in his truck in the parking lot. He is a good guy, kind of a sad sack. He has fucked some shit up pretty big in the past so I don't know how well it would go over.  The operations manager and I run the show at work. We are equally responsible for the wole buisiness (owners is very hands off). Because of this i  feel a little obligated to say something to him/management but i don't want him to lose his job.

Is there any liability shit here? can him living in the parking lot bite us in the ass some how?

Of course there is liability, it's on your businesses property and I'm assuming you live in the U.S. -- home of the frivolous lawsuits.   

Lot's of potential for things to go wrong. 

Try addressing it with him directly first before you got ratting him out to the owner / upper mgmt.

I say let him be. Fucking with a dudes livelihood is as low as its gets.

Maybe. Not quite sure. Ask him to park down the street. Is he a good worker?? Always there on time? Do you know why is has to live in his truck? Also does he smell, does he get to take showers??. Poor guy Phone Post

At least he hasnt said fuck it and given up. Least he is still coming to work and everything, prob trying to fix situation Phone Post

First I thought you were going to ask for opinions on how to help him, but then you finish with if you should notify management... Sigh. Let him be or speak directly to him. Phone Post

talk it over with the dude and tell him you cant let it go one for forever
but see if the dude is trying to work himself out of a hole (or not)

what is the dudes OG screen name?

konsol - 

First I thought you were going to ask for opinions on how to help him, but then you finish with if you should notify management... Sigh. Let him be or speak directly to him. Phone Post

i am the management, friend

I too thought the thread was going into a more warmhearted direction. Dont tell the owners yet man. Give dude some time to maybe fix his situation. If he is a good employee why dont you try to help him improve the current shitty situation. Phone Post

paradigmer - 

Of course there is liability, it's on your businesses property and I'm assuming you live in the U.S. -- home of the frivolous lawsuits.   

Lot's of potential for things to go wrong. 

Try addressing it with him directly first before you got ratting him out to the owner / upper mgmt.

at our place there the ops manager an i are the upper most management. I'm conflicted on this. I'm not sure what his story is at the moment. I know he is married an has (had) a house. Not sure what to do on this.

But dont put your ass on the line too much. Such a shitty complicated position to be in OP. good luck Phone Post

Put a sighn infront of his truck that says no camping. Phone Post

mathew10lb - 

Maybe. Not quite sure. Ask him to park down the street. Is he a good worker?? Always there on time? Do you know why is has to live in his truck? Also does he smell, does he get to take showers??. Poor guy Phone Post

he is a descent worker. good guy, on time, shows up. kind of a dumbass though. he has fucked some shit up in the past that has cost the company money. no idea why he is do it. i think he was haveing morgage proplems. I hope he didn't lose his home.

Ever watch the show tanked about the fish tank builders in vegas. Their top guy lives in his RV on the property, so it's unprecedented.

I worked at a place where there was a guy who we all believed lived out of his car in the company parking lot. You'd see him showering in the gym locker room on weekends etc. If you saw him in the building after hours he'd tell you he had a deadline, which I knew was BS. He never bothered anyone, so no one in management ever said anything to him.

I'd ask the guy if he's doing it, and see what arrangement you can make with him if you're worried about something. But if he's not causing issues, I'd leave him alone.

Crooked NYer - 

I too thought the thread was going into a more warmhearted direction. Dont tell the owners yet man. Give dude some time to maybe fix his situation. If he is a good employee why dont you try to help him improve the current shitty situation. Phone Post

if i told the owner he was ask "why the hell are you telling me this?"  he just collects checks. Me and mike run the show. This is my problem, there is no passing the buck.

cuzzi - 

Put a sighn infront of his truck that says no camping. Phone Post

lol

Dont mention it to anyone.

If you talk to him and tell him "do this or that" now you have opened yourself to liability.

Just ignore it.

Maybe he's going through a divorce.

Sounds like your completely torn on the issue, so unless somebody specifically brought this to your attention, just pretend you didn't know.

Talk to him about it and get him to sign a liability waiver.