OGers in Colombia - Be Careful

You obviously live a different lifestyle than me and likely Region Rat and probably the guy asking questions (can’t look at his name on this site now)

I’ve always felt pretty safe. I don’t put myself in situations that will get out of hand though. I don’t try to find hookers, I don’t buy drugs, I don’t go looking for trouble in general.

Colombia is a great friendly country. You can find trouble in any city in the US if you’re involved with hookers and dealers. If you want trouble you can find it anywhere. If you want to go live in Colombia, rent/buy a place with your wife and just generally live a nice life, it’s no problem. Great country with beautiful areas and low cost of living.

I’m enjoying capt turd burgers stories, but they are like science fiction to me.

3 Likes

Colombia has a very high rating for medical care. Higher than Canada and the US.

My daughter tells me some of her stories about her care and it incredible.

My wife is in the hospital in Santa Marta right now (as I’ve mentioned). She had X-rays, ct scan and mri done and the actual files were up in a website before she got back to her room. They give you a QR code and any doctor anywhere can access the full files. My wife had imaging done there and I had the best doctors I know look at the files. I had her diagnosis in about an hour. Try that anywhere else.

Funny also because a top hospital here where I had the radiologist look at the files said he wished that they had software as good ast the Colombians.

Then the top orthopedic surgeon here said she would get the surgery in Colombia since the surgeons in general there are better than in North America.

We are always told how good our healthcare is , but in comparison with a lot of countries, it’s not.

1 Like
1 Like

And top ranked butt implants ?

1 Like

That’s awesome, I’m really looking forward to our trip.

1 Like

I’m sure they do a great job, I’m just still pretty weak and on oxygen. I wasn’t willing to travel to a place I’m unfamiliar with. I’ve been to Grand Cayman in the past and I knew it would be super easy for me to get around and I’m staying at a Ritz Carlton right beside the clinic. If I was just getting treated for a bad knee or shoulder I would’ve gone to Colombia.

2 Likes

7 Mile Beach is the best place to just tan outside all day or do some light snorkling for hours and hours.

I hope you get better man just take it easy and enjoy the beautiful weather.

1 Like

Thanks and I’m planning on a full recovery. Just hoping the stem cells speed up the process.

1 Like

I ain’t no Doc @mataleo1 so I know exactly 0 about stem cell stuff but I have always been a gambler and 45% is decent odds my fren

How successful is stem cell therapy?

Stem cell treatment has achieved positive results in over 45% of patients, according to one trial. Patients saw improvement in less than 6 months, which compares quite well with back surgery that usually involves very long recovery times.

1 Like

Is it cheaper? BioXcelerator in Medellin is 25k. Ken Shamrock, DDP, Kobe Bryant, Chuck Lidell, and numerous others have gotten theirs done there.

Same price, but the travel is quite a bit more to Grand Cayman.

After a shitty day at work, I’m once again looking at retiring early in another country. Colombia is on that list. @Region_Rat what is your cost of living like down there?

3 Likes

My dad lives in La Paz, outskirts of Medellin. He has a 3 bedroom 2-bath apartment. Great balcony with a view of the area. One large bedroom with an en suite bath. The other 2 bedrooms are much smaller. Decent sized living/dining area, and a so/so kitchen/laundry area (no oven, just a mircrowave and a 4-burner cooktop). A security guard is at the front door. 2 parking spots in the parking garage, along with a small storage room. With the current exchange rate, it cost him about $550/month.

The local bars charge a bit over $1/beer. I ate a variety of burgers, chicken, and pizza while there, and it was typically about half what it would cost in the U.S.

Oh, gasoline was $2.60/gallon a few weeks ago.

4 Likes

The standard American number is “oh, you need at least a million to retire!” It would be nice to duck out of the work force and enjoy the rest of life on half of that. Fuck doing this shit until I’m 65. Don’t think I’m gonna make it that far.

1 Like

Lots of people are quitting with half a million and putting it all in stocks like QYLD and RYLD, etc. they pay 10-12% monthly dividends. So you’re making 4-5 grand a month on dividends and preserving your principal. You could definitely live well in South America doing that.

2 Likes

La Paz up in the corner? That looks further than outskirts.

No, his “La Paz” is a section of Envigado. Link to a map here, you have to zoom in a bit to see the sections Google Maps

This area is about 5,000’ above sea level. Temps rarely go higher than about 80F or lower than 60F. So no need for heat or a/c, saving even more money.

4 Likes

That is awesome. 93 and humid as a sumo wrestler’s nutsack here today.

1 Like

People just don’t realize how dead you are at 65.

Whoever came up with that number needs to get their heads checked. 65 is old as fuck, at 65 all I could care about doing is heading over to the Villages in Florida and catch all the STDs

4 Likes

There’s a lot of expats that fucked up and lost everything and live pretty good on their social security

3 Likes