OGers that are into boxing

Not posting this on the UG because I don't use that side of the forum much. 

Whom here has/is trained in boxing? Could be anything from pros, amateurs, or just as a basement workout novice for conditioning. 

I've been lowkey working on my boxing since Covid hit. Certainly bordering on obsession. I've lost roughly 40 lbs since training in my basement daily since probably last May or so. 

I use to trane but injuries caught up to me years ago. I still am plagued with shoulder injuries that limit my ability to work out and unload a right hook or overhand right. The straight right works just fine though and being a tall guy I tend to fight on the outside anyways so that straight right is more preferable anyways. 

I have really learned to use my left to the point I am becoming ambidextrous. My left jab is my best punch as should be anyone, especially a guy that is 6'5" and is long. My left hook though is what brings me joy. I am pretty obsessed with developing it. It is crazy how improved it is compared to back when I use to train. Just working on it relentlessly has paid off. 

I am aware that the likekyhood of fighting even amateur is a long shot given my age, shoulder injury, and the fact that this I have not even spared or gotten professional training in over 10 years. My ego says go for it, but it is extremely difficult to do that. I hold out a glimmer of hope that I will go all in but even with the desire I am going to likely need shoulder surgery at some point without trying to seek fighting in my early 40s. 

I am curious to what you guys that have to say about the sport that have or are in it. Training techniques, ect. I truly fell in love with the sport again with nothing to do with Covid going on to the point of boxing training in my pool like a lunatic. I love MMA and grappling but there is something to be said about the ability to use your hands only in a skillfull manner and study the psychology of boxing. Cus D'Amato is a tremendous influence on me. It has helped in every aspect in life. I not only work on it physically every day but watch fights going back to the turn of the last century. Read books. Fully about it. Just wish I had had this mentality when I was younger and more able to go after it but regardless it is helping my mental and physical fitness daily and I love the sport. 

2 Likes

Loved it as a kid. Haven't trained in over a decade outside of bagwork/shadowboxing.

My right hand is my dominant hand, but I've always stood southpaw since I'm partially ambidextrous. Always loved a lead left straight on a right hander.

But yeah, pushing 40, I have no desire to get hit anymore. 

2 Likes

As martial arts and combat sports go, boxing is my first love.  Grew up watching the fights on tv and idolizing guys like Joe Frazier.  Dove into boxing history and was fascinated by Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano, later on warriors like Camden Basilio and Sugar Ray Robinson.  

I remember training for hours just throwing a short lead hook against the bag, trying to get that 6inch knockout power like Louis supposedly had.  

I’m a firm believer that for self defense and MMA, a combination of boxing and judo is the best possible combination.  BJJ emphasis for when you get older.  

1 Like

Never trained but used to be a big fan. Kind of moved on to mma but still watch when i can. There was a fight at a lower weight saturday after the ufc that had an amazing site. Guy named Sanchez moved up to 130 and ko'd a champ who was the favorite. Watch the ko, it was one of the most viscous i've ever seen. I thought he may have killed the guy.

1 Like

No training but want to start. I have done BJJ for 10 years and have been doing Muay Thai lately. I want to do some boxing. IN

1 Like

Altofsky -

Loved it as a kid. Haven't trained in over a decade outside of bagwork/shadowboxing.

My right hand is my dominant hand, but I've always stood southpaw since I'm partially ambidextrous. Always loved a lead left straight on a right hander.

But yeah, pushing 40, I have no desire to get hit anymore. 

Yeah I stopped seriously training in my mid-late 30’s.  Somewhere around there getting hit went from invigorating to just kind of sucking and my injuries were always in the back of my mind.  

These days I just hit the bag, shadow box, work on head movement on a maize bag and am happy to stay moving.  I’m in my late 40’s now and training anything is less about competition than having fun and staying healthy.  And more than lifting or any other activity, boxing is fun.  You can have a great workout with just yourself and a heavy bag and not have to find a partner or deal with some asshole who’s trying to injure training partners.  

2 Likes

I absolutely love boxing ....started training at age 8 , on and off up until age 21....I won the El Paso golden gloves by knocking out all my opponents , I had no skill , only raw power ....my dad got me into boxing at an early age , we now watch big boxing fights at my house drinking beers ...for his birthday next month, I’m taking him to watch Chocolatito v Gallo live in Dallas Texas 

4 Likes

Started with private lessons before everything got shut down.  As soon as I can, I'll be back.

1 Like

I was a big deal growing up . I won the golden gloves 3 times. I then made a run at the Olympics but had to bail because my Dad got sick. I then sparred with all the Big time Boxers and KO’d one in sparring then was blacklisted. Now I am just an extra in VanDam movies- if you believe any of this you are a silly person lol.

3 Likes

Nut satchel 

1 Like

OP,

If I am understanding your question correctly ( read quickly and a bit distracted) my thought would be if you want to spar and have people to spar with that can do so in a controlled manner than do it.

Or some of the situation live drills, or live play ( I am familiar terms from straight blast gyms) but that style of drilling (situational and active ) anything from that to sparring with someone that knows how to play could be fun.

But traditional boxing sparring as practiced at most gyms I would probably not recommend unless the gym is used to letting adults or people just learning spar a little.

At least the boxing gyms I have been in people beat the fuck out of each other and no one demonstrates "martial spirit" or is sympathetic to a person learning or of less experience, skill etc.

Again the gyms I was in were pretty rough neighborhoods with kids or people that where mercy seemed to be viewed as a weakness.

1 Like

williepep - OP,

If I am understanding your question correctly ( read quickly and a bit distracted) my thought would be if you want to spar and have people to spar with that can do so in a controlled manner than do it.

Or some of the situation live drills, or live play ( I am familiar terms from straight blast gyms) but that style of drilling (situational and active ) anything from that to sparring with someone that knows how to play could be fun.

But traditional boxing sparring as practiced at most gyms I would probably not recommend unless the gym is used to letting adults or people just learning spar a little.

At least the boxing gyms I have been in people beat the fuck out of each other and no one demonstrates "martial spirit" or is sympathetic to a person learning or of less experience, skill etc.

Again the gyms I was in were pretty rough neighborhoods with kids or people that where mercy seemed to be viewed as a weakness.

"At least the boxing gyms I have been in people beat the fuck out of each other and no one demonstrates "martial spirit" or is sympathetic to a person learning or of less experience, skill etc. 

Again the gyms I was in were pretty rough neighborhoods with kids or people that where mercy seemed to be viewed as a weakness."

I agree with this.

1 Like

MMA Playwright - 
williepep - OP,

"At least the boxing gyms I have been in people beat the fuck out of each other and no one demonstrates "martial spirit" or is sympathetic to a person learning or of less experience, skill etc. 

Again the gyms I was in were pretty rough neighborhoods with kids or people that where mercy seemed to be viewed as a weakness."

I agree with this.

Sincerely when I saw your post right above mine I kind of wondered with you well rounded experience if you were going to call BS because perhaps you had been in more experienced or gyms with deeper history. Good to know that even with your experience it is basically the same at most places.

1 Like

Finding a good boxing gym is hard. If you're lucky you'll find an MMA gym with a serious boxng program or a boxercise gym that the instructor gives real lessons. Boxing is a regional sport and unless you're in a boxing town its hard. I'm now scouting places than my immediate gym with a hevay bag. If I can't find it. I'll probably just by my own double end bag etc. and set them up at the gym. 

Short of being a world renowned training camp filled with pros, the money that keep the lights on is from soccer moms and or their kids being babysat. 

I trained with enough boxing type kickboxers that I know the basics, When I started with Kung fu, we sparred with 16 oz gloves, shin guards, tkd chest protectors, and full face head gear.  I am more into the gear actually. I like being able to know what is crap and what isn't. I'm not so snobby that I think if it isn't winning, grant, or dinardo that it isn't worth mentioning. 

Now boxing gets by on hype and freakshow fights. 

Boxing is a lot like wrestling in that it isn't glamorous to know it, but it you're better at it than the other guy, it gives you tremendous advantage. 

2 Likes

williepep -
MMA Playwright - 
williepep - OP,

I agree with this.

Sincerely when I saw your post right above mine I kind of wondered with you well rounded experience if you were going to call BS because perhaps you had been in more experienced or gyms with deeper history. Good to know that even with your experience it is basically the same at most places.

What you wrote is correct. Honestly, I've been in so many serious boxing gyms all over the country that I won't even try to guess the number. Anyone not a serious fighter (boxer) who is there to fight will get weeded out and run off fast.  It's WAY different than a BJJ school or MMA gym. 

1 Like

jpm995 -

Never trained but used to be a big fan. Kind of moved on to mma but still watch when i can. There was a fight at a lower weight saturday after the ufc that had an amazing site. Guy named Sanchez moved up to 130 and ko'd a champ who was the favorite. Watch the ko, it was one of the most viscous i've ever seen. I thought he may have killed the guy.

I would like to watch this but without any names or really any info I wouldn't even know where to begin looking it up. 

Any help?

1 Like

Bam57Bam -
jpm995 -

I would like to watch this but without any names or really any info I wouldn't even know where to begin looking it up. 

Any help?

Thinki found it

3 Likes

To OP by the way congrats on the weight loss of 40 lbs pretty freaking amazing.

Your enthusiasm has certainly reminded me that I have been very lazy.

I even have a really nice bag rig or bag frame that will hold quite a few bags. I have several bags of including upper cut, body or wrecking ball bag, a narrow jab bag, several heavy bags, and double end bags. Have all this gear and still getting fat !

Also congrats on developing your left hand, I am not a guy that gets into fights but from some work I used to do that involved large crowds of drunks, a firm open hand left hook can take the fight out of a lot of people. A smack like that to the side of the neck below the ear or the the back of the neck can produce a KO, or sometimes enough of shock.

1 Like

I was a hard core martial arts kid growing up. I got my first black belt at 16. A kid named Leroy didn't like a white kid dating his cousin. He was a boxer. I wasn't concerned till he whipped my ass. Fortunately Leroy was a good guy and he introduced me to my first boxing coach. 

It was a different and difficult transition. I got beat on but learned alot. That led me to my JKD years.

I would recommend in regards to training, work daily on footwork, then do more. 

I have been studying and teaching a martial art based on the mechanics of boxing, 

Bare knuckle boxing.

There are tons more you can do without gloves.

The mechanics of the four punches and footwork form the base of everything else.

Kicking, grappling, throwing, everything.