OGers that are into boxing

buddie - 
DaveFu -
Mark1 - 

What brand of gloves do you guys prefer?  I need a new pair of training gloves and have been shopping.  Lots of new brands it seems.  I have my eyes on a pair of Cleto Reyes.  I’d prefer leather. Price really isn’t an issue if quality. 

Mark

Best Boxing Gloves Review – UPDATED 2021

More than you ever wanted to know about boxing gloves from a true glove snob. 

Stay away from the Canadian gloves!

-Not Mark

It depends on what you are getting the gloves for Venum, Everlast, Ringside and Title all have good midpriced training gloves. As a guy who helps bulk periodically we mostly use Ringside and Title and they seem to fluctuate in terms of quality. But those are the best bet for training gloves and even competition gloves. Hayabusa has some good products but they are overpriced IMO for what you get a lot of times. I have some Twins that are good but they have not held up well over time. If you are competing you’ll need competition rated gloves. 

I agree, I'm a bang for your buck kind of guy. I think the quality issue comes back to all the biggest brands using whichever factory gives them the best price. 

For Joe Blow who doesn't know if they're going to stick with it, as long as the padding and wrist support are adequate, everything else is secondary. 

I picked up two sets of Hayabusa MMA shinguards for about 100, the real leather ones and the standard synthetic leather ones. The synthetic leather they used seems really tough, maybe even tougher than the real leather they used in their top of the line "kanpeki" gear. They were brown and matched my Boon's lol  

Of course you never know exactly what the failure point will be and when. 

One company I've been grabbing stuff from that has been on sale, has been ring2cage. They use a lot of the newer innovations on theiur gear, so I've been able to see if I like them on the cheap. Like the double strap that Hayabusa uses in their T3. 

I picked up a bunch of their discontinued ugly gear for incredibly cheapon amazon. Ring to cage They had their winning knock off headgear for 30 bucks. I picked up some of their bag and sparring gloves for 30 bucks a pair, and they're legit. I could see the big boys charging a lot more for them. 

The good news is no one will want to steal it from you or be dumb enough to wear it to your gym. 

So, TLDR. I agree, it's stupid for the Rookie weekend warrior to drop 400 on Winning Gloves. Find something that won't hurt your hands and then play with your gloves and everyone else's to know what you like. 

1 Like

Can y'all list legit boxing gyms y'all know in big cities? Chicago, NOLA, Houston, Dallas, OKC, L.A., etc.

nottheface - 

So about boxing gyms.  There are certainly people with more experience than I have.  But this is roughly how I’d break them down by type. 

Fight Gyms: The serious fight gym like you see in Rocky.  It’s a gym and not a school.  You pay some basic fee, you get the privilege of going in and putting in work.  If you are dedicated and show some talent, someone might show you a few things.  Some of those people are pretty knowledgeable.  Some of them don’t really know shit.  Some might be actually trying to fuck you over with bad advice for shits and giggles.  Every one of the ones I’ve seen have been in not so great neighborhoods.  Members range from aspiring pros to hoods to neighborhood kids.  There’s always the guy that hangs out for four hours and jaws and never seems to sweat.  There also always seems to be a Mexican guy that never talks to anyone but puts in solid work for an hour every day.  The aspiring fighters are trying to catch the head guy’s attention.  The head guy is looking for prospects.  

Aerobic Gyms - most of these places are kind of like taibo.  The business is yuppies and housewives trying to get in shape.  The quality varies from the cardio kickboxing at the Y to someone really trying to impart some skills.  You have to talk to the instructor to get an idea.  Some, like the Title gyms are just workout and pretend to be boxing. Some have competitive teams and just do the workouts to cover costs.  

Neighborhood Gyms - Almost always youth focused.  Maybe run by a retired pro. They seem to have programs dedicated to getting kids into the Golden Gloves.  The one I went to allowed kids to come straight after school and they could work out if they showed they finished their homework.  Kids that couldn’t pay could sweep up or show good grades.  Adults paid what they could.  They weren’t training pros out of there but they were seriously teaching to box and they were doing a lot of good.  

MMA etc schools: boxing program inside a martial arts school.  They charge like their BJJ. They have  often good instruction and at least a regular schedule and are organized.  They seem to be a highly variable level of instruction.  And maybe it’s just me, but as often as not it seems to be a guy playing a part from central casting as it is someone with real experience.  I’m thinking of one in particular where there was a fat guy chewing an unlit cigar in a sweatshirt with no sleeves.  But some of the things he was having the do seemed questionable to me.  But maybe it’s a gap in my own knowledge.  

Boutique Personal Training - seem to cater to yuppies.  Honestly if I were to train now, I’d just go to a place like this.  Pay money, have someone teach me, correct my form and hold mitts.  Because I’m in my 40’s and have more money than I do time, energy or healing ability.  I’d get eaten alive in a fight gym and my ego won’t let me put up with the BS of an aerobic place.  And as much as I’d love to go back to a gym like the one that helped the kids, the ones I knew were all in not so great neighborhoods. Fine for the 20-something me to walk by the hookers and addicts.  Maybe not the kind of place the current version of me wants to frequent.  

Here's the breakdown, SG. 

Google is your friend. 

Wild Card in Los Angeles

The best gym for a beginner is the one you can and will actually go to.

The biggest red flag is if they only allow you or anyone else to train as part of a >

Ask if they have a competition team or competitors. 

Here Mike breaks down what a boxercise gym is and does. 

I actually saw someone using one of these at my bros 24 hr fitness that didn't have a heavy bag. He owned it and brought it in with him. It's legit. He had a 45 lb olympic plate as the anchor. 

https://smartboxingfit.com/

I made my bro pick up a double end bag to work there. If I had a place to put it, I'd get one myself. 

DaveFu - 
buddie - 
DaveFu -
Mark1 - 

What brand of gloves do you guys prefer?  I need a new pair of training gloves and have been shopping.  Lots of new brands it seems.  I have my eyes on a pair of Cleto Reyes.  I’d prefer leather. Price really isn’t an issue if quality. 

Mark

Best Boxing Gloves Review – UPDATED 2021

More than you ever wanted to know about boxing gloves from a true glove snob. 

Stay away from the Canadian gloves!

-Not Mark

It depends on what you are getting the gloves for Venum, Everlast, Ringside and Title all have good midpriced training gloves. As a guy who helps bulk periodically we mostly use Ringside and Title and they seem to fluctuate in terms of quality. But those are the best bet for training gloves and even competition gloves. Hayabusa has some good products but they are overpriced IMO for what you get a lot of times. I have some Twins that are good but they have not held up well over time. If you are competing you’ll need competition rated gloves. 

I agree, I'm a bang for your buck kind of guy. I think the quality issue comes back to all the biggest brands using whichever factory gives them the best price. 

For Joe Blow who doesn't know if they're going to stick with it, as long as the padding and wrist support are adequate, everything else is secondary. 

I picked up two sets of Hayabusa MMA shinguards for about 100, the real leather ones and the standard synthetic leather ones. The synthetic leather they used seems really tough, maybe even tougher than the real leather they used in their top of the line "kanpeki" gear. They were brown and matched my Boon's lol  

Of course you never know exactly what the failure point will be and when. 

One company I've been grabbing stuff from that has been on sale, has been ring2cage. They use a lot of the newer innovations on theiur gear, so I've been able to see if I like them on the cheap. Like the double strap that Hayabusa uses in their T3. 

I picked up a bunch of their discontinued ugly gear for incredibly cheapon amazon. Ring to cage They had their winning knock off headgear for 30 bucks. I picked up some of their bag and sparring gloves for 30 bucks a pair, and they're legit. I could see the big boys charging a lot more for them. 

The good news is no one will want to steal it from you or be dumb enough to wear it to your gym. 

So, TLDR. I agree, it's stupid for the Rookie weekend warrior to drop 400 on Winning Gloves. Find something that won't hurt your hands and then play with your gloves and everyone else's to know what you like. 

Those look like cheapo Franklin knockoff stuff for kids at Walmart

Mark

1 Like

I know they're ugly as sin. lol 

No wonder they couldn't sell them. 

- Not Mark. 

Everytime I bought something from them, I kept expecting to buy the thing from them that left me disappointed, it hasn't happened yet. 

It's all beater stuff. The padding on all of it is above average. The stitching is competent. If I had somebody throw it on, I wouldn't mind geting hit with them.  Boons are my nice gloves, and if I wanted "nice" gloves I'd look at somethintg in the ball part of rival or get some customs made. 

Unless you're taking privates, gear can disappear all the time.  Ugly gear keeps honest people honest.

DaveFu - 

I know they're ugly as sin. lol 

No wonder they couldn't sell them. 

- Not Mark. 

Everytime I bought something from them, I kept expecting to buy the thing from them that left me disappointed, it hasn't happened yet. 

It's all beater stuff. The padding on all of it is above average. The stitching is competent. If I had somebody throw it on, I wouldn't mind geting hit with them.  Boons are my nice gloves, and if I wanted "nice" gloves I'd look at somethintg in the ball part of rival or get some customs made. 

Unless you're taking privates, gear can disappear all the time.  Ugly gear keeps honest people honest.

Where are they made?  China I assume?

Mark

No ring to cage has their stuff made in Pakistan. Almost everyone who has a mass produced glove uses them and the 10 or so factories there. Leather is cheap in Pakistan.

The places that get their inventory made in China tend to be places that dont use real leather for most of their products, Hayabusa and Rival get most of their stuff made there. Leather is expensive in China. 

I know since you know lube, you know manfacturing, and plastics. 

Those pictures from amazon aren't the best and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the mockup photos. 

DaveFu - 

No ring to cage has their stuff made in Pakistan. Almost everyone who has a mass produced glove uses them and the 10 or so factories there. Leather is cheap in Pakistan.

The places that get their inventory made in China tend to be places that dont use real leather for most of their products, Hayabusa and Rival get most of their stuff made there. Leather is expensive in China. 

I know since you know lube, you know manfacturing, and plastics. 

Those pictures from amazon aren't the best and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the mockup photos. 

I have some PBS gloves from Pakistan.  Not bad, but not really all that great either.

Mark

Like I said earlier in the thread. I think it’s smarter to buy something cheap with a unique feature that I might hate than drop 4-5 times as much to find out that I hate it. I’m also working on a project where I may be making gear recommendations for noobs. I don’t want to tell them to drop 100+ on gloves etc. that they may not ever get full value for. Also other than adequate protection and material quality, gear is a pretty subjective area. All my original gear has been lost to time. So I’ve had to start from scratch.

Some places in Pakistan like Top Boxer do incredible custom work for cheap. But yes, if you want the “best” Winning, DiNardo, Grant, Cleto Reyes etc. are still the best.

ttt

Do guys still use abolene to open up the gut poors for sweating these days?

I like those colors.

I used to have a nice pair of Ringside gloves with removable weights. I was looking on Amazon a couple weeks ago, but I didn’t see what I was looking for.

Bag gloves, kinda like these, but Ringside.

Somebody had too. They’re ugly but less ugly than you’d think until you see them.

I read some of your discussion above about gloves. I am going to start going to a gym that has boxing and kickboxing. I am a bit of a gear whore so while I don’t need them, I want a pair of gloves for boxing separate from my thai boxing gloves. I never plan on fighting and rarely, if ever, sparring. Thoughts on Everlast? Not looking to break the bank on Cleto’s but want a decent glove. I simply associate Everlast with boxing and like the look. Anything wrong with them?

Side questions to the question above: What is the difference between a thai boxing glove and a boxing glove? I am using Twins Special gloves for muay thai and boxing right now. What will the difference be in a boxing glove compared to my Twins gloves?

While on the subject, what should I look for in a boxing shoe? Keep in mind I may be boxing once a week, maybe twice on average. Not planning on buying shoes anytime soon but for the sake of discussion, what makes a good boxing shoe?

Ttt

1 Like

I finally found a place to train. I am going to learn everything I have been doing wrong so I can adjust that and start to spar after a while. I have added running now. Just me and headphones around a track. I have a lot of weight to lose still despite losing a lot of weight to be able to actually throw hands with someone.

My shoulder has been ok but I am aware of it. I really love the sport. It remains to be seen if I will pursue a fight but I need to do more than basement bag work, and shadow boxing.

Everlast’s Top Top end stuff is good But thats in the Cleto Reyes Price Range of +150 plus and everything below that is a crap shoot at best. You’re a bigger guy, so you’d want a 16oz real (Cowhide) leather “training glove.”

Thai gloves have shorter cuffs, wider fist areas that taper down to the wrist, and have more padding on the back of the glove. These changes are for ease in clinching and blocking kicks with the gloves.

Standard boxing gloves have longer cuffs, front loaded padding, better wrist support, and a more uniform width and shape.

There’s very little difference between a boxing shoe and a wrestling shoe. I would err on using a wrestling shoe that doesn’t have excessive traction like an Adidas Combat Speed or Asics Split Second

Not something crazy like this: (Even though real tree and hunter Orange is pretty cool)

1 Like