OGers with kids

What are some of the things you have promised your kids you would do or places you would go etc that you haven't gotten around to yet?

I've been promising my 3 boys I would build them a treehouse for a couple years now. Just found out a buddy of mine has always wanted to build one but he has not got a tree in his backyard and is dying to help me so I will start building next week. Also been promising the boys that we would shoot the zombie movie we've been talking about for a couple years. I have the camera, script (wrote a short specifically for this) and decided that we will shoot after the treehouse is built.

I have a list of other things I've promised them but because of work and time, I haven't been able to follow thru with them. I've made it a mission to start checking things off the list and following thru with them. Lifes short.

Good thread.

I try to dream and then present. Kids remember promises. Phone Post 3.0

Yes they do. I've also decided to start saying yes to things I would normally say no to because it may call for me to get off my ass. Don't get me wrong, my kids get almost anything they ever ask for. Im talking about the "Dad, can you take us fishing with you next time" kind of stuff. Or the "dad, lets have movie night tonight".... Even if Im dead tired Im going to start saying yes instead of putting it off for another night that usually never comes.

I've always tried my hardest to fulfill odd requests by the kids. One that took a while was going to the fabric store with a picture of Robin from the 1950's (it's their favorite one) and sewing the youngest boy a suit. It was pretty good too. Put a lot of time into it and sewed it well. He wore that thing for 2 years straight. Still comes out once in a while when they play batman robin.

When we go on trips out of town we usually leave a day early and have an extra day on the way home. Any stupid thing they ask to pull over and see, we do. End up seeing interesting things and meeting people along the way. Phone Post 3.0

E55 Pilot - What are some of the things you have promised your kids you would do or places you would go etc that you haven't gotten around to yet?

I've been promising my 3 boys I would build them a treehouse for a couple years now. Just found out a buddy of mine has always wanted to build one but he has not got a tree in his backyard and is dying to help me so I will start building next week. Also been promising the boys that we would shoot the zombie movie we've been talking about for a couple years. I have the camera, script (wrote a short specifically for this) and decided that we will shoot after the treehouse is built.

I have a list of other things I've promised them but because of work and time, I haven't been able to follow thru with them. I've made it a mission to start checking things off the list and following thru with them. Lifes short.
My daughter is 2. I promised a playdoh Santa who hand laser beam eyes and a jet powered sled.

I'm fucked when she gets older. Phone Post 3.0

lol!

The other day, my 6 year old who has a fascination with tools wanted me to build him a light switch from wood...... we knocked it out in 30 minutes. That little piece of wood with a wooden switch that actually works has brought him so much joy..

when my 2 yo asks for something that's difficult to get, we get him something that he hasn't really thought of, but is equally rewarding.

For example, "Daddy, I want a swimming pool." We got him a 15 foot trampoline that he and his cousins love.

And "Daddy, can I get a car?" We got him a power wheel atv that I've been meaning to get.

Also, a trip to Toys R Us can be a nightmare with a 2 year old. But a trip to a Dollar store is a heaven. He can walk out of the store as the happiest guy on earth for $5.

Of course, I'm sure it won't be as easy as this once he gets older...

Disney World. My twins are only 4 though. At least a couple of years away. Phone Post

Tell my kids we are doing something I follow through.

I have 5 so my list is short.

I have no kids. I am really close to my nephew though and I told him if he got straight A's the final six weeks of school I would take him to Six Flags Over Texas in Dallas. Me and him have our bags packed and are heading north tomorrow.

heatmeiser - Disney World. My twins are only 4 though. At least a couple of years away. Phone Post
Wait a bit longer, IMO.

In their early teens, Disney World is still fun. They're old enough to really understand and enjoy Epcot and the other attractions, too.

I was there at 12, 17, and 20. I had the best time and got the most out of it at 17, believe it or not.

BTW, VTFUs all around. Bunch of awesome parents around here. For all my parents did for me (including the Disney trip at 12) I still remember the broken promises. Especially the "if you X, then we'll Y" ones. Phone Post 3.0

Ironically a tree house here too. My boy's probably too old now (will be 13 in few months) but I often think about that empty promise I made him 5-6 years ago. :( Phone Post

Sub for later

octo_dad - 

Ironically a tree house here too. My boy's probably too old now (will be 13 in few months) but I often think about that empty promise I made him 5-6 years ago. :( Phone Post

with 8 kids, you better get a big treehouse!

S Phone Post

I promised my kid I would take him to Japan if he got straight A's. Luckily he got two B's. Six month reprieve

I promised him he could have a Facebook once he turned 12, but I think he's forgotten that.

I promised to take him back to Hawaii this summer to see his mom, but I think I may have to just put him on a plane because of work. Phone Post

octo_dad - 

I say build it for him anyway. Get him to help and do it together.

My oldest just turned 5, so I haven't had the Disney World discussion yet as I'm waiting for the kids to get a little older before we go down that path.