Okami proves he can hang with Maia on the ground

ttt

Okami very nearly passed at the end

...he had Maia's back but with one hook only, i dont think you get any points for that.

CRE - Okami would be a 6-1 favorite in MMA

If it happens you covering those odds? Ill take maia at +600 and put 500$ down.

boot

Okami is a bad mofo that gets no love

Okami deserves a shot. He is quite amazing

Okami would've probably gotten a shot earlier if he didn't lose to Franklin...Then he needed a few wins to get back to the top of the list. You can't lose, then get a title shot.

I think Demian was thinking about the long road of the tourney, otherwise he would've been a little more excited about the win over Okami. Just seemed like he was taking care of business

ttt for later

Okami is a beast. He is a monster on the mat, solid striking (when he uses it), and he is strong as fuck. He is a definitely threat to Anderson (though Anderson is the obvious favorite). He would be all the Demian could handle and that fight is a coin flip, imo. They are the two top dogs in line for a title shot. I like Leites but I don't think he'll be able to knock off Anderson. Okami should get the next shot and then Maia after him. I'd like to see Okami vs. Anderson and Marquardt vs. Maia. Then match up the winners. Leites vs. Maia would be an awesome fight as well.

"Love the guy don't get me wrong; must see MMA everytime he is on, "The Submission Machine" must beat a top ten MW first before we may talk Title Shot for Demian - someone like Marquardt or Miller/Okami winner. "

Maia beat Sonnen who was top 10 after beating Filho. What top ten fighter has Okami beat? Swick, Singer, Starnes, MacDonald, Tanner, Lister or Belcher?

While it illustrates that Okami is excellent in pure grappling, too - MMA is VERY different.

Both Okami and Nate Marquardt were all over the ADCC champ, Dean Lister. When strikes are involved - everything goes out the window...and in some cases that could benefit Maia, too. Strikes can also cause the top man to open up too much on the mat or standing.

Maia finishes all his opponents, that makes people want to watch him. Okami, not so much.

Marquadt is awesome, but he was beaten really quickly when he had his shot. His performance didn't really inspire a rematch any time soon.

NoPlacebo - "Love the guy don't get me wrong; must see MMA everytime he is on, "The Submission Machine" must beat a top ten MW first before we may talk Title Shot for Demian - someone like Marquardt or Miller/Okami winner. "

Maia beat Sonnen who was top 10 after beating Filho. What top ten fighter has Okami beat? Swick, Singer, Starnes, MacDonald, Tanner, Lister or Belcher?

Great post.

Unfortunately the Maia detractors will tell you Sonnen was a weak top 10 opponent and should never have been there to begin with.

NorthFromHere - 
goku - 
NorthFromHere - It was the first match of a long tournament day, so Maia did just enough to get the win without tiring himself too much.

Demian did have very good armlock attempt @ 4:05.

lol@this absurd "logic"

Well, this absurd logic is what Demian told to me.

Oh snap!

Okami lost to Franklin then broke his hand so his title shot was given to someone else. He should be next in line for Silva, but with Maia and Marquadt actually finishing guys, they might be pushed ahead

Domingo - While it illustrates that Okami is excellent in pure grappling, too - MMA is VERY different.
Both Okami and Nate Marquardt were all over the ADCC champ, Dean Lister. When strikes are involved - everything goes out the window...and in some cases that could benefit Maia, too. Strikes can also cause the top man to open up too much on the mat or standing.

If "everything goes out with the window" just because of strikes, shouldnt Maia have lost by now? Because he would have nothing since his grappling is everything and that goes completely out the windown because of strikes, right? ;p

^No but he wont fare any better with okami in an mma match

FieryErmine - Maia finishes all his opponents, that makes people want to watch him. Okami, not so much.

True, no doubt, however there should still be "legitimacy" and contention based on "merit" not just putting up the fighters people want to see.

Hey, i love to watch Maia but Okami is getting shafted out. Okami cant get a descent opponent at the moment.