Okay...Do I have a right to be angry and offended?

So I get an email today that alerts me to this ad in yesterday's Oakland Press.  I look at the link for the school and it's this Kung Fu/Tai Chi/ Wing Chun school on Woodward in Ferndale/Royal Oak.  When I used to live in that area, I remember driving by and seeing people outside in their puffy pants doing Tai Chi, Kung Fu and weapons....they were definitely NOT a BJJ school, but whatever, they had a lot of students and it looked like they were enjoying themselves and having fun, so good for them.  Then I see THIS AD.  After looking at the school's website, I see that the school's owner, Sifu Brown, is wearing a bjj gi and a blue belt in the pictures.  So I'm a little confused...anyone know who they are talking about? 

I am not from a BJJ school, not trying to sound like a smart ass, but do you no all the BJJ schools and teacher's in Mi. Is it like a close thing.

Now on to you qustion why would you care anyway? If your school is winning fights, has happy students, and makes money why would you care what someone else has to say. They never even say warrior way.

TheBean  - I am not from a BJJ school, not trying to sound like a smart ass, but do you no all the BJJ schools and teacher's in Mi. Is it like a close thing.

Now on to you qustion why would you care anyway? If your school is winning fights, has happy students, and makes money why would you care what someone else has to say. They never even say warrior way.

No offense taken...actually, yes, I do know all the BLACK BELTS in Michigan. As of right now, there are only a handful of BJJ black belts in MI (myself included). At the moment Ryan Fiorenzi and Harvy Berman are the highest ranking BJJ black belts in MI. Now, there may be other BJJ schools in MI, and I know every Karate/Kung Fu school now teaches some form of 'grappling', so I may not know 'every' bjj school in the state. To answer your other question.."yes" it is a close community type thing with all the legitimate BJJ schools and instructors in MI.

The ad specifically says "Train with the HIGHEST RANKING BRAZILIIAN JIU JITSU BLACK BELT IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN". I am suprised by this and want to know who it is. And if he's lying, then I have a right to be offended that he would make a claim like that to profit off of a sport he is really not an expert in.

Okay...my blood pressure just dropped. I just got an email that told me it is Ryan Fiorenzi is the one teaching.

The BJJ police can rest :)

the ad should have said....One of the higest ranking.......

lol...  Next to the old Denny's  12 mile and Woodward.

Wasn't it like Saturday mornings were the "puffy pants and swords in the parking lot" days?

Mark

Mark1 -  lol...  Next to the old Denny's  12 mile and Woodward.

Wasn't it like Saturday mornings were the "puffy pants and swords in the parking lot" days?

Mark

Yep...exactly

Angelo Popofski -  So I get an email today that alerts me to this ad in yesterday's Oakland Press.  I look at the link for the school and it's this Kung Fu/Tai Chi/ Wing Chun school on Woodward in Ferndale/Royal Oak.  When I used to live in that area, I remember driving by and seeing people outside in their puffy pants doing Tai Chi, Kung Fu and weapons....they were definitely NOT a BJJ school, but whatever, they had a lot of students and it looked like they were enjoying themselves and having fun, so good for them.  Then I see THIS AD.  After looking at the school's website, I see that the school's owner, Sifu Brown, is wearing a bjj gi and a blue belt in the pictures.  So I'm a little confused...anyone know who they are talking about? 
Why not an old school challenge match?

Not necessary... It's Ryan Fiorenzi teaching, not some black sash in five-animal kung fu

You should challenge him anyway.

I'm too busy...I'm coaching 7th and 8th grade football this year.

I can see why you would be upset. I have met Mr. Brown though and he is a very nice guy. Looks like a closed topic though.

Angelo Popofski - I'm too busy...I'm coaching 7th and 8th grade football this year.

Shit.....When do you have time to breath?!?!?

I always drive past that school and see people practicing with sticks in the parking lot

Challenge match yes,OTM will supply you with pretty puffy pants oh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,get em Angelo

edited for rudeness

That said, not trying to start any rivalries (I like ya) or anything, just my take on the recurring situation.

perhaps that came off ruder than I meant to be..

My only point I guess is that you don't see this in Judo...If I see another judo gym opens, I never think "Is his rank even real?", cause to be honest, it doesnt affect me...

BJJ isnt this way though, they are constantly "This guy doesnt deserve", "This guy is a fake", "he isnt a real ---belt" etc, etc..

I just don't understand it..

Well, I understand if it were casual conversation and someone asked ya, but to make a point of bringing it up shows inner feelings of inadequecy or something..I'd need Garcia to tell me exactly what as he is the psychologist.