Old boxing

Hay guys!

recently I read an interview with Jim Grover and he was refering some things about old boxing (such as striking with the heel down and some other things the interview is on the www.realfighting.com - good reading).
So I wonder if any of you can halp me on this I'm realy intrested in this!
Stay safe

I seem to recall reading a few books by Champ Thomas on some unique defensive and offensive boxing techniques (his defense resembled the way Ken Norton used to fight).. Maybe do a search & see if you can find anything by Champ Thomas on the tricks of boxing..

No offense, but Champ Thomas was a kook.

yep no doubt LOL he had some really unorthodox techniques that were borderline, elbows, butts, forearms, stepping on your opponents lead foot.. I think Roberto Duran had most of them down pat :)

ThorFabio thanks for help I looked in www for Champ but only his book is advertising not much any of his written works! But I will look for more
But If you interested in this kind of stuff there is plenty on http://www.extremeselfprotection.com/
try it. Train hard, Stay safe

Where on realfighting?

ttt

e. kaye look on www.realfighting.com
this is E magazine for well look for the name of the site :))
Rosi

I did. I couldn't find Jim Grover. I'll look again> Which issue?

sorry jim Grover is his pen Name or something like that, realy is Kelly Mcann.Interview is in last issue together with Jim Keating. My mistake but he is much more noted with this name
are you inrested in old boxing or reality fighting becuse this is more reality fig interview on which is JJG aka KM more noted. read it

TH&SS

I read it. Thanks. Not really a lot of discussion of "old boxing". But the heel down, shuffling thing is spot on. Old/Bare knuckle was very different than gloved boxing and probably more applicable to the street or MMA.

yes, but I still wonder how did it look back then? From where they generate power, did they use diffrent
tools(shoulders, elbows...)

TH&SS

rosinin-Generating power is not a problem. The mechanics of "old style" boxing are different than modern gloved boxing, but not that different. I think that part of the problem is that most boxers nowadays that are successful are successful because of their raw talent. Trainers teach conditioning and tactics more than mechanics. In a fight or bare knuckle boxing match you have to be concerned with more that just fists. In BKB throws were allowed so leaning forward into punches was not a good idea. In a modern arena with leg kicks and such, it is probably not a good idea either.

Thanks for explanation!

I just come from realy good box training and I'm exhaustioning. more from me next time

TH&SS

I would think that todays boxers have better footwork than the old time boxers. I'm realizing that footwork is a very important aspect of boxing, probably more than punching.

I would say that the footwork is different. There were some quite mobile boxers at the time. There were different styles. Many of the old time boxers were not mobile at all. I think it was Mendoza that was among the first to really move.

Somewhat less footwork for the simple fact that they had lower stances because they had to protect against both punches and throws so they wanted the lower center of gravity.

If you can find some pics of old boxing stances (not the posed pictures that look ridiculous) their stances look very similar to some TMA that kept their self-defense/combat aspect (as opposed to styles that ritualized everything to look good ie: Shotokan).

I lower stance does not necessarily mean less mobile. As was mentioned, the footwork was of a shuffling nature and you would be surprised at how fast you can shuffle.

I agree with you e kaye on a lower stance does not necessarily mean less mobile. My instructor is very fast and fluid with his footwork and he can go from high to low stance very quickly and is almost just as quick in either stance.

The problem with many low stances is the person exagerates them (some TMA's for instance) to look good but you can't get out of them at all.

I think one of the big difference between the bareknuckle fighters (and even the gloved fighters of the early 1900s, who were heavily influenced by the bareknuckle generate) is that clinching was far more common.

Take a look at Jack Johnson for an example. He was a defense master (and defense in the early days means clinching).

During those early years when there was no middle distance like today...why?...because once they got that close to each other they would simply clinch (particularly during Jack Johnson's era, before that time they would do more than clinch, that is more intense clinch almost stand up wrestling).

IMHO this needs to be taken into consideration when comparing boxers of different eras to todays fighters.