Old guy -- BJJ Questions

I am 47 years old. I start bjj training Monday for the first time. I have some questions that hopefully some of the more mature members can help with.

Firstly, I have dentures. Full plate on top, partial on the bottom. Do I leave them in and wear a mouthpiece? Or take them out and wear a mouthpiece?

Also, do I need a groin cup for class?

Last time I did any serious training was 8 or 9 years ago I took TKD, then I broke my ankle (at work, not class) and got fat and lazy since. Now, I'm almost 200 lbs, and signed up today. So looking forward to being not a fat guy.

Hey Buddeh :)

Unfortunately I don't have an answer in regards to the dentures. I think your best bet is to call your dentist as he'll have the specifics in detail.

As for the cup, it depends on weather or not you're doing gi or no-gi classes. If it's gi, then no cup (they're illegal to wear in competition), and if it's no-gi, then you'll have the option. Most people training no-gi do wear a cup because the speed of rolling tends to be a bit faster and less controlled. (because you don't have any gi to grab onto) This makes for flailers :) especially when rolling with other begginers...I recommend the cup.

Hope that helps and happy rolling!

no cup! you may squeeze your nuts a few times in the beginning but it'll teach you to squeeze your knees better in the future, makes for better long term technique in my opinion

If you value your nuts, wear a cup.

“I talked to Saulo [Ribeiro] the other day, the time you’re training and start to get old, you’re not training like you’re eighteen. You know you say ‘I train every day, twice a day.’

You start to get old and you train three, four times a week and then it’s rest three, four times a week. Then you absorb a lot more information because you are more mature, and that is a different kind of training.

The time you’re young you’re excited and you like to train more, and the time you’re old you need to rest a little more, and every time you train you take a lot more of the training.”

— Royler Gracie

I wouldn't be too worried about a cup or your teeth this early into training. If you actually end up rolling this early - just don't go crazy on the mats and don't roll with people who act crazy.

" cup (they're illegal to wear in competition)"     

guess I was a god damn cheater , when I used to compete   lol .... no cup ? fork that !!!

John Nic - I wouldn't be too worried about a cup or your teeth this early into training. If you actually end up rolling this early - just don't go crazy on the mats and don't roll with people who act crazy.

Young beginners are the most dangerous. Ego's are a problem.
Don't feel bad if you tap.

no cup

I have a student that has full dentures and he leaves them in all class

I don't wear a cup. I do enjoy getting kicked in my nuts however. That said, I very seldom get bagged in BJJ (unfortunately).

Darb - I don't wear a cup. I do enjoy getting kicked in my nuts however. That said, I very seldom get bagged in BJJ (unfortunately).

Bro...srsly...