Old musket?

I have an old musket (not sure if thats what to call it). Not sure how old. My wife thinks its from Finland and is over 100 years old.
Since all the best advice available is here i have some questions.

1. What should i use to clean it?
  2. Should i get a pelacement for the wooden plunger? Agin not sure of the term.
  3. Should i have a gunsmith restire it to working condition?

8 Likes

Oh and rules

are rules

13 Likes

If you encounter an officer on a horse, club the horse with the butt of the weapon. Then stab the officer.

Where’s your bayonet?

1 Like

It’s not a new one.

2 Likes

From the pictures it looks great for 100 years old.

2 Likes

Do NOT clean it! That will seriously lower it’s value. I made that mistake with an 1849 Harper’s Ferry musket that my Dad had. Leave the patina even if it’s a hanger not a banger!

8 Likes

Look up Mark Novac on YouTube.

1 Like

I wasnt going to mess with the wood. Is it ok to put some oil on it at least? The wife says it was in a museam for some time.

Thanks!

He is big on conservation NOT restoration.

1 Like

I wouldn’t until you are sure what you have. There a boards like this one with guys who collect such things. They will help you ascertain a ballpark value and give advice on whether to clean, oil, etc. It looks quite valuable, much nicer than the one I have. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice.

1 Like

Came here to say this. Do not clean it!!! Haven’t you ever watched antiques road show? You can’t unclean something.

2 Likes

Yeah. Don’t clean it unless you plan on keeping it.

It will sell at a much higher value as-is.

Beautiful piece of history you’ve got there.

3 Likes

Spoken like a man who’s never used the toilet after me.
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA

4 Likes

ac315574-18fc-45ad-937b-53595261493f_text

2 Likes

I do plan on keeping it. I just dont want ti to deteriorate any further. Thank you. I love your work by the way.

1 Like

To avoid any further deterioration or corrosion, all you’d really need to do is oil it up every once in a while. Helps keep the wood as fresh as possible and prevents rust on the steel.

And thank you!

1 Like

What tyoe of oil should i use? Shoukd i use one for the wood and one for the metal?

Gun oil for the barrel. I would be careful with the wood, as oil can make it disintegrate…

Edit: I would use a silicone impregnated rag for the metal…

1 Like