Old School Boxers like Harry Greb

Hoping this can turn into a thread on old school boxing. 

First post-

Harry Greb, among the all time greats known to boxing fans. There isn't any boxing clip of him available anywhere. Except for a few short clips on youtube, a glimpse of him signing a contract with Mickey Walker, doing some routine exercises and that simulated but weird sparring with Philadelphia Jack O'brien reveals nothing of the skills that made him the winningest conqueror of 13 Hall of famers. It's odd, though, to think that not a few seconds of actual battle in the ring was ever preserved on film. We've seen many great men before him like Jack Johnson, Jim Jeffries, Joe Gans, Jimmy Wilde, Bob Fitzsimmons, Sam Langford among others. The only man to beat Gene Tunney and how he did it could only be envisaged through historical accounts. That's sad.

When he was 14 years old he fell off a 3 storey building while working on a construction site. He landed on his head, got straight up and walked back up the ladder, to the astonishment of those who watched.

I heard Harry Greb was also blind in one eye.

Jack Dempsey contracted syphilis from sleeping with transsexuals  

As far as Greb, Carmen Basilio, Robinson, etc, that's when guys had the balls to fight every month. Just like when pitchers had the balls to pitch a whole game.

StretchPlum how old are you?  I feel a bond between us

Happy OP didn't make a thread to trash an old school athlete like he usually does.

D241 - 

StretchPlum how old are you?  I feel a bond between us

See pm

EKPOGI - 

Happy OP didn't make a thread to trash an old school athlete like he usually does.

I'm a Babe Ruth fan but what other examples you got?

1 Like
D241 -
EKPOGI - 

Hmm,I guess when you trash Bill Russell it's usually not a thread but a post on a thread.I  stand corrected.

Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla - 

Jack Dempsey contracted syphilis from sleeping with transsexuals  

BULLSHIT

Always been fascinated by Greb!  Probably because, as you stated, the lack of film footage to document any of his amazing resume!  Love the legend of the supposed street fight he had with Mickey Walker after their bout. 

https://youtu.be/7WNELNUz4NA

https://youtu.be/v6_M40prIeY

EKPOGI - 
D241 -
EKPOGI - 

Hmm,I guess when you trash Bill Russell it's usually not a thread but a post on a thread.I  stand corrected.

All of our awesome back and forth interactions and you're going to remember the few(2) times you disagree with me?  Shame.

Bill Russell's stats to his championship teams aren't well known to most.  You know I only brought that up when silly people suggest Bill Russell was better than Jordan b/c he had more championships.  Jordan was the #1 guy on his championships, but you simply can't say that for Bill Russell.  Instead of looking like that as a knock to an individual player, look at it as highlighting how deep and good the rest of the team was.  Robert Horry shouldn't be considered the greatest b/c of his championships, but like Russell he too wasn't the main guy in those championships.

1st championship

Bill Sharman averaged 21.1ppg

Bob Cousy average 20.6 ppg

Tom Heinsohn averaged 16.2 ppg

Bill Russell, one of five starters of this team, was the 4th highest leading scorer with 14.7 ppg

2nd championship

Bill Sharman averaged 20.4 ppg

Bob Cousy averaged 20 ppg

Tom Heinsohn averaged 18.8 ppg

Bill Russell averaged 16.7

I could keep going and the stat line will tell the same story.  Were you the one who was suggesting Bill Russell is greater than Jordan because of his championships?  If so, how much emphasis are you putting on Dennis Rodman and his championships?

5mvps for Bill Russell over Wilts 50ppg,Big O's triple double.stats only matter when you win.and Russell's stats gave him 11 rings ,in 12 finals in 13 years, including back to back as playing coach and 5 MVPs.KareemAbdul Jabbar could only win one title against Bill Russell peers while winning 5 championship in the 80's where Jordan was a routine loser in the 80's.

Sort891 -

Always been fascinated by Greb!  Probably because, as you stated, the lack of film footage to document any of his amazing resume!  Love the legend of the supposed street fight he had with Mickey Walker after their bout. 

What's the story with the street fight?

blabbermouth -
Sort891 -

Off of memory they got into an argument and agreed to step outside to settle it, and then while Greb was taking his jacket off Walker knocked him out while his arms were tied.

HULC -
blabbermouth -
Sort891 -

Off of memory they got into an argument and agreed to step outside to settle it, and then while Greb was taking his jacket off Walker knocked him out while his arms were tied.

Damn. That's cold.

So much for old timey honor.

blabbermouth - 
HULC -
blabbermouth -
Sort891 -

Damn. That's cold.

" Prize fighting ain't the noblest of arts and I ain't it's noblest artist."-Harry Greb

D241 -
blabbermouth - 
HULC -
blabbermouth -
Sort891 -

Damn. That's cold.

" Prize fighting ain't the noblest of arts and I ain't it's noblest artist."-Harry Greb

lol that's a great quote. They were hella quotable back then. Especially Dempsey.