Old School POVs on Mayweather?

I have watched boxing casually for a while but I never really followed it. I was wondering for those old school/ hard core boxing fans, whats your view on mayweather is.
I mean I always see him with his money and talking shit (exemplified by his 24/7 with mosley)

But do you guys like him at all?

I personally don't like the flash.

IMO his image is just that.  He tried to be a likable "pretty boy" hero and that didn't work.  He was fighting to half-empty arenas for most of the first half of his career as a result.  At about the time he took on Gatti he had a change of tone where he became cocky and dismissive of his opponents.  People hated listening to a guy that good talk shit and as a result they began paying attention to him and buying PPVs hoping one guy after another would finally shut his mouth.  The fact that no one has been able to do it has only built his interest, even as he moved into weight classes where he has no choice but to fight a boring style to win decisions.

Tell me if this is consistent with being an over-confident guy who doesn't give a damn about his sport: 
  * Only missed weight once in his life
  * Moves up in weight even when he can still comfortably fight lighter
  * Has never been KOd, despite fighting several big punchers
  * Fights better in the 12th round than he does in the 1st
  * Gives the guy who gave him the toughest fight of his career an immediate rematch
  * Breaks his hand during fights and continues to fight through it (think about people treat this attribute for him versus Arturro Gatti doing the same thing)

IMO Mayweather is a guy who works extremely hard at his craft, both in training camp and during the fight.  The fact that he almost never gets tired, never gets discouraged and never makes mental mistakes is evidence of this.  The guy is as tough as anyone he has fought despite his image and wealth and, unfortunately for his opponents, he is also more skilled.

I don't like him.  He has a reputation as an asshole in his personal life, he has ducked good fighters and he makes a lot of boring fights.  But the image you see on 24/7 is just a way to sell fights. 

I love slick fighters and great defense. So I'm a big fan. I think it's hilarious how he's taking a boring fight style and trolled the world as a bad guy to become the top paid fighter ever.

If you don't get Mayweather go watch a handful of his fights and watch his style. Most guys have a certain set of skills and one style, maybe slightly more. Mayweather often fights a completely different style of boxing specific to beat his opponent. Before Hatton people were thinking he was one of the best inside fighters, but Mayweather fought him on the inside for what? 4-5 rounds. Teddy Atlas said in his opinion Mayweather was outboxing Hatton on the inside.

If you still don't get it go look up punch stat numbers in his fights.

he's a helluva fighter. a master at making guys fight at his pace and style. truly a marvel.

martinburke - How do old school boxing guys feel about mayweather?

Well, you could get the book "The Arc of Boxing" which has a whole section devoted to guys who were involved with boxing from the '40s,'50s, and '60s and their opinions of mayweather.

You could try googling "Carlos Ortiz on floyd mayweather" or "Bill Goodman on floyd mayweather" and you'll get some short excerpts from the book.

In a nutshell...what do old school boxing people think of mayweather?

Not much.

good responses interesting stuff. i will do a little of the suggested googling.

From what little i have seen outside of the ring, i find him an enigma; he has a personal side and he is funny and seems to work hard so i can't straight out hate like i do frank mir.

however, he really has taken to the "heel" persona.
But i suppose all thats left now is the fight which i will probably watch just because i want to see him melted.

martinburke - How do old school boxing guys feel about mayweather?

Well, you could get the book "The Arc of Boxing" which has a whole section devoted to guys who were involved with boxing from the '40s,'50s, and '60s and their opinions of mayweather.

You could try googling "Carlos Ortiz on floyd mayweather" or "Bill Goodman on floyd mayweather" and you'll get some short excerpts from the book.

In a nutshell...what do old school boxing people think of mayweather?

Not much.

Keep in mind martinburke doesn't respect anybody in this current generation, his standards are extremely high and not typical.

true, old schoolers can say what they want. maywether is a master of his craft and would have been competitve in any generation. i wish he would have stayed at 130 or 135. to see him without giving up size and strength in every fight would really be a treat