Oliveira calls for title shot

Charles Oliveira has long been overlooked a degree in the UFC's deepest division. That's understandable given that lightweight includes Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Justin Gaethje, Dustin Poirier, and Tony Ferguson. However, with a dominating performance over Ferguson in the co-main event of UFC 256 on Saturday night, "Do Bronx" pushed his win streak to eight, and at the age of 31, has arrived.

At the post-fight press conference, Oliveira argued for a title shot. The lightweight title picture is muddled. The division champion Nurmagomedov has promised his mother he was retired, in order to assume his role as head of household following the death of his father Abdulmanap in July. However, he remains in the USADA testing pool, he has not given up the belt, and there are strong indications he may return. Further, Conor McGregor is always the money fight, and thus, rightly or wrongly, has dibs on a title shot. And Justin Gaethje is rightly the #1 contender.

McGregor fights Poirier in the main event of UFC 257 on January 23; there is not likely to be a belt on the line. Oliveira wants to fight the winner, for a belt.

“I think everything happens at the right time,” said Oliveira. “Look at the fight tonight: This is the guy everyone calls ‘The Boogeyman,’ and we went in there and we had an amazing fight. I’ve been telling everyone I’m going to be the champion. People don’t believe it, so I have to show them.”

“He’s a really tough guy. I even told [my coach Jorge "Macaco" Patino] after that first round that I thought I had broken his arm. But I wanted to win. We had a game plan set and I wanted to go in there and win at any cost.”

“I want to fight for the belt. That’s been my dream and my team’s dream. Obviously fighting Conor involves a lot of other things. It’s a lot of money and a lot of other things that maybe a fight with Dustin wouldn’t involve, but we really want to win the belt.”

“Khabib swore on his father’s grave that he wasn’t going to come back. When a man does that, I don’t think he’s going to come back. Gaethje can go fight whoever. But I want the winner of Conor and Poirier. I have eight wins in a row. Seven of those, I finished the fight. I don’t let it go to the judges’ hands. I finish fights. I’m in the position to be fighting for the belt.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQYdhNs7qzI

h/t Tristen Critchfield for Sherdog

Give it to the man. 25 fights into the UFC, the most subs and 8 fight win streak and just ripped off Tony’s arm and dominated him for 3 straight rounds.

8 Likes

Yeah if somebody should be complaining about not having a shot at the belt, it should be him. 

I don't get how guys can fight in the UFC for 10 years and not pick up enough english to communicate somewhat fluently. Needing that translator holds guys back. If he had a halfway decent command of the language, he'd get a lot more people interested in him. JDS went from speaking broken english to damn near fully fluent in like a 3 year period.

I think Charles beats everyone but Khabib. Have him fight winner of Conor/Dustin for the belt. Do Gaethje vs Chandler for next in line.

1 Like

I think he understands a lot of English. Probably speaks it too but isn't comfortable enough for the camera. 

He deserves a title shot next for sure. Whether it’s vs the Conor/Dustin winner, Gaethje or even Chandler (not that I agree with Chandler being up that high just based off the fact that the ufc is pushing and hyping him). I like his chances vs any of them at this point. I’ve been saying for a while that Charles is Tony 2.0. Better striker and better grappler, I’d really like to see him vs Khabib. Maybe Khabib is too overwhelming and strong with his wrestling, but I’d love to see what Charles could do on the ground with him.

He deserves it, no one else makes sense. 8 Wins in a row, 7 of those finishes in one of the most comepetitive/stacked divisions. No one has the same kind of win streak in the LW division.

Gennady Goblin - 

I don't get how guys can fight in the UFC for 10 years and not pick up enough english to communicate somewhat fluently. Needing that translator holds guys back. If he had a halfway decent command of the language, he'd get a lot more people interested in him. JDS went from speaking broken english to damn near fully fluent in like a 3 year period.

True, but to be fair, maybe he spent all that extra time getting better at fighting instead of getting better at english.

Either way, I like this version of Charles. He’s finally become the fighter we all knew he could be.

2 Likes
OG 12er - 

I think he understands a lot of English. Probably speaks it too but isn't comfortable enough for the camera. 

True, but most of the time it’s the effort that counts and I think fans will like him more if he tries to plow through his broken english.

To be fair, he rode a career high last night. He probably just wants to act natural and not have to struggle speaking english at the moment.

What about the fact that the UFC is now a global org and the US audience should be able to stomach who doesn’t speak English like other global sport?

That said, yes, the fighters have to realize this is the way the US audience is and esp in this day and age of selling yourself, you should do it.

1 Like

Id watch, he should be next

Whatever the case, he deserves it. The UFC better not fuck him around from here.

If Khabib is truly gone, and the belt is relinquished, the only matchup that makes sense is Oliveira vs Connor/Dustin winner.

Wasa-B - What about the fact that the UFC is now a global org and the US audience should be able to stomach who doesn't speak English like other global sport?

That said, yes, the fighters have to realize this is the way the US audience is and esp in this day and age of selling yourself, you should do it.

It’s not about being "able to stomach", it’s just a pure fact that speaking english is a good thing. There are entire industries geared toward talking people into the building. Most notably? Sporting events, particularly combat sports. Even simulated combat in pro wrestling. Being skilled at something is only half the battle. The guy who attracts the most attention and captivates the audience gets to call the shots. 

Pretty Boy Floyd was a great fighter. Money Mayweather sold millions of PPVs. 

Canelo barely speaks English. Do all the top soccer players speak english? I guess that might be different because most of them actually live in Europe for the leagues. But the US also needs to get over non-English speaking guys too. Oliveira however isn’t particuarly charismatic. Look at Yoel, doesn’t speak English but is charismatic…

1 Like

Im not saying Oliveria shouldn’t realize this and learn English though. Look at Weili for an even better recent example. How fast did she learn? Also coming from Chinese as opposed to Portugese. Aldo was another that suffered from this. Not charismatic, got more boring as his UFC career went for the most part and didn’t learn English to boot.

not sure anyone has ever done more to earn a title shot

1 Like

He absolutely deserves a title shot; he's a beast.  I've been into watching MMA for a long time, and so have a lot of people here, here deserves a shot asap. 

The ufc need to either strip Khabib or have him fight Olivera.

1 Like

Too bad the UFC is a circus, good luck with that Charles!

1 Like