Olympian Ben Askren's fight vid from Friday Night

I met Askren in St. Louis last week and road tripped with him to Des Moines for his most recent fight. You can check out his fight at the link below, all the other fights and videos from the event and our road trip are listed on the left side of the screen.

http://www.purefight.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235490-max-fights-dm/199923-matt-delanoit-vs-ben-askren

To be honest, I expected more.. I know he's a great wrestler, but he didn't look too comfortable at the start there.

JOB - To be honest, I expected more.. I know he's a great wrestler, but he didn't look too comfortable at the start there.

hes done 2 classes with us, give me some time with him.

He looks like he has some natural talent for MMA. He needs to keep his hands up. To me he looks heavy at 170. Could he drop to 155? he just seems to be carrying a good amount of body fat in this fight. At 155 his wrestling would be seriously hard to deal with. He is still green and I am excited about seeing him progress.

155 would be a super hard cut....also it was his 3rd fight give him two years

Ok, let's be clear on at least one thing here. Ben Askren would demolish GSP in a wrestling match, thank you.

^for sure he would. Ben is one of the best wrestlers in the US right now

Are the Lally brothers managing ben now or is he still with his old team?

Bader - are you from the V high in the Stl?

frontrowbrian -  I agree with what Daniel Cormier was saying about these tiny shows are a poor learning ground for elite wrestlers breaking into MMA. What did Askren learn in that fight? I'm not saying he should be main eventing a Stikeforce card but get on a real card against someone who trains MMA for a living. What's he learning on these sub minor league fight cards?

I completely disgree. you learn huge amounts coming up in the small shows. the real "poor learning ground" for elite wrestlers is going against real killers before you're completely comfortable with strikes. And if you're not getting banged up in wars, you can fight 3 times as often as well. Fighting is different from wrestling, and this is indeed the right way to bring up a fighter.