Olympic Judo Medalist : Ryan Reser on TAI OTOSHI

Warrior Fitness Center JUDO instructor Ryan Reser displays the TAI OTOSHI.

Thanks and enjoy!

blue namer please

I would embed if the phone let me. I do approve this message however :p

the throw works for all sizes. when we drilled it I was having succes with a 6'5 behemoth im 6'0 :P

you mean Olympian...nonetheless, Ryan is the man and my amgigo

I stand corrected he is a pan am gold medalist and olympian sorry about the confusion.

cool, was just about to say taiotoshi is one of the more gi dependant throws but there's always a way with the over/underhook.

the situation off the cage seems like a good time too.

would be cool to see this in MMA. alotta guys may not be used to the timing or entry of it as opposed to a more basic hip throw.

I think too since it isn't as common and doesn't require as deep of an entry its a little easier to catch on some people. Plus the kazushi is at more of an angle then just straight forward which catches some people off guard as well

bluenamer please?

Can anyone recall a taitoshi pulled off in MMA?

Usually you see hybrid Tai Otoshi harai goshi type throws though let me research

Akiyamas second throw on shields is an example of a Tai Otoshi harai goshi hybrid as he didn't clear his hips.... very similar. Want a GIF?

var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/ZcKhgUmP-20", "postVideo-38466938-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-38466938");  

yo he dropped him on his fucking head.

Careful when doing this throw on your training partner. If you are too high on their leg you will cause a lot of damage. Phone Post

HUMBLED1 -
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/ZcKhgUmP-20", "postVideo-38466938-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-38466938");  
Cool vid, thanks. Phone Post

here in America we just call that Mission Hujimaplata.

MatsuTuri - Akiyamas second throw on shields is an example of a Tai Otoshi harai goshi hybrid as he didn't clear his hips.... very similar. Want a GIF?

Not to nerd out here like the judo guys always do with the name game but that was more a harai/osoto imo. But anyhow, its on the fav trips/trips/slams thread. It was one of the sickest judo techs ive seen in MMA, both of them. The entry and timing of both was absolutely perfect. The first osoto, he didnt even have the clinch as he entered.

I think its important to note that tai otoshi/harai goshi/osoto gari and variations of each can occur or start as one and end up as one of the above. We see this all the time in judo of course. GSP did a sorta osoto to harai on Hughes in their 2nd fight.

Snorelord - Hiromitsu Miura nailed Carlos Condit with one during their title fight at WEC 35.

I forgot which Pride but I'm pretty sure Kazuhiro Nakamura landed one. He was wearing a short blue gi in the ring if memory serves right.

Karo Parysian showns a variant in his book where the grip is of a standing arm-triangle/kata gatame when you fall with the throw you have the submission and pin hold and you force a lot of pressure on their neck on impact

He landed 2 nice tds on Randleman - an inside leg trip/ouchi gari and i think the other was like the harai/tai otoshi mix that MatsuTuri is talking about. He completely launched Travis Gailbrath in Pride US but that was more a typical harai.

Snorelord - Karo Parysian showns a variant in his book where the grip is of a standing arm-triangle/kata gatame when you fall with the throw you have the submission and pin hold and you force a lot of pressure on their neck on impact

Yeah, osoto to arm triangle type combo.

Its getting that grip that is the challenge though. The first Aoki/Sakurai match, i think Aoki gets a quick throw on Sakurai with that grip. Aoki is the king of td to sub transitions of course.

I think people mention David Camarillo or Flavio Canto a lot when talking of who is the best judo/bjj hybrid but Aoki has to be up there as well.

He also had nice judo combo on Lyle Beerbolm, that fake front throw to a outside leg hook drop where you fake and swing your front leg and hook the leg.

Also, that guy who just blitzed Nam Phan had some sick judo.

"Snorelord - Hiromitsu Miura nailed Carlos Condit with one during their title fight at WEC 35."

I think that was an osoto you're referring to? I can picture it in my head now if that's the one.