Olympic Judo reminds me of.....

watching a football game where the offensive gets four down to score or they have to punt.

God this is frustrating after watching BJJ.

Cool throws, but why they gotta stop it once they hit the mat?

Likewise in reverse. Why do BJJers have to jump guard and suck at throws.

I find Judo exciting... but artificial! "Let's pretend this throw would finish you in real life...Ippon!" "Let's pretend pinning your back to the ground for 10,20, or 25 seconds would cause you to lose a fight in the real world." It just is too aritficial for me.

I concede that one could extend my argument and say that BJJ is artificial too because who in the street is going to actually even know how to tap? My counter to this is that the 'object' of BJJ is to finish the opponent by making them give up... that is the point real fights.

Now, Sport BJJ and Subwrestling have put me to sleep too. Especially AbuDhabi with it's timing and scoring allowing the fighters to dance for 5 minutes then get down to the business of scoring points. My feeling is that competitions should strongly favor attacking submissions.

Next, I enjoy watching BJJ/subwrestling more than Judo because it is much more technical and skilled. There is nothing as impressive in Judo as in BJJ when watching a very small guy like Marcello Garcia trap and tap a tough competitor. Judo seems to be too brute allowing even a novice with one or two good throws to defeat a better player.

So, I think it comes down to a personal preference. If you want a faster paced, less technical, dumbed down, body toss fest... Judo should be your game. On the other hand, if you can watch patiently and comprehend the technical human chess match that is occuring in a BJJ match (at the risk of a sleeper stallfest) golden nuggets of beautiful techniques that are more applicable to resembling a fight where the better fighter wins... then maybe BJJ is what you should watch.

I will continue to watch, respect, and learn from both. It should not be a surprise though that I like BJJ better as a game/ sport/ and martial art.

Saw some dodgy calls yesterday in the match Craig Fallon lost to the Greek guy. Definitely a waza-ari or two just ignored by the ref., but then bad calls happen in every sport.

What I find frustrating though is how quick they call matte. Sometimes it looks like the guy is two seconds away from passing half-guard (knee already out) or getting an armlock (legs already in position, just about to extend the arm) and then matte is called.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it less technical. Most people think BJJ is two guys holding each other in fond embrace. If you think the gripping strategies and movement within the mat is boring than you're simply myopic.

I saw one the other day (may have been Fallon) where the guy had a reverse armbar applied and the referee picked them back up. The guy even stayed down for a while with a fucked up arm. WTF???

"Next, I enjoy watching BJJ/subwrestling more than Judo because it is much more technical and skilled."

Very incorrect. I felt the same way coming from judo to BJJ. All that I can say is try playing judo at a club (cheaper than BJJ & you can still work newaza). You will have a newfound understanding of grappling.

It is difficult to understand a sport if you have not done it competitively.

Anyone care to back me up?

"Next, I enjoy watching BJJ/subwrestling more than Judo because it is much more technical and skilled.""

Anyone who would say that doesn't understand any sport, let alone BJJ and Judo.

Any sport played at the Olympic level is technical beyond the dreams of the average person. The pressure to win Olympic gold is so intense that players in every sport are constantly trying to develop new tactics and techniques that will give them an edge.

In Judo, where there are hundreds of possible techniques in play (not including combinations) and defeat can be sudden and instant, this is especially true. Even the initial process of taking grips is a complex game-within-a-game.

"I find Judo exciting... but artificial! "Let's pretend this throw would finish you in real life...Ippon!" "Let's pretend pinning your back to the ground for 10,20, or 25 seconds would cause you to lose a fight in the real world." It just is too aritficial for me."

Not entirely artificial either.Getting thrown hard in real life could actually finish a fight, and getting pinned usually does end up finishing a fight since getting pinned usually means eating shots as well.Just something to think about.

I haven't seen Judo yet on the Olympics, why hasn't it been listed? When did it come on?

csc,

it was on at midnight - 1:00 AM last night & will be on at the same time monday night through thursday & will be 7:00PM - 8:00PM on friday.

sucks it is so late, I will have to tape it.

Effectiveness and action don't always go hand in hand. This might suck but it is just the way it is. Action can be effective, it almost always is, snoozefests can be effective too but man, they put you to sleep.

but artificial

and you don't find anything artificial about letting 2 guys roll around on a mat uninterruped for 7 minutes?

we can start the Reality Olympics. Here's some commentary..

Welcome to the 2009 Reality combat games. Combat for the real world I'm your host. If you're just joining us we're starting the 73kg. class of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, a new and exciting event in our lineup. and here we go..!

Ok Folks were down to the Finals it's the crafty veteran Javier from Team Brazil vs. the rising star from Japan.. Tako.

They begin with furious gripping strategy. Each looking for the best position to attack from.

Javier pulls guard! he forgoes the points for the takedown and pulls Tako in.. classic Brazilian strategy folks..

Javier is looking for a sweep. Tako is defending well and trying to establish posture..

Tako yells over to his side of the mat! Several Japanese guys run onto the mat and begin to stomp Javier!!

Javier is out cold! Team Japan wins this one! What an upset!!

This is how Reality goes folks! we'll see you next time..

"the rising star from Japan.. Tako."

WTF?

I thought Tako was from Mexico...

That would Burrito, Tako is Maki Roll's distant cousin.

Was there a rule change that I am unaware of?

I thought it was 30 seconds on the ground.
It has nothing to do with inactivity or how close it is to a submission, right?

tako = octupus if i'm not mistaken. seemed like an appropriate name for a grappler.

I thought it was 30 seconds on the ground. It has nothing to do with inactivity or how close it is to a submission, right?

Please Read Ben's post near the bottom of the page.

I like watching judo, but I do find it incredibly frustrating at times. Like when someone has their opponents back, have put the hooks in and are working towards a choke and then get stood up.

To me, watching judo compared to watching jiu-jitsu is like watching RINGS compared to watching PRIDE.

Hehe. BiC cracks me up. Those would be hilarious games to watch. And the crazy monoglian defends the triangle by furiously biting off the brazilian's....