olympic training center, colorado

springs. Can anyone show up to train competitive Judo there? Do they even have regular classes there? I couldnt find any specific information on their website.

ehh, not very, not much. Is acceptence into the place based on that?

You'd just be fresh meat for throwing practice otherwise.

I would be allowed to train Judo there then?

The reason I ask, I may have a few Army reserve base options to choose from, one being Fort Carson which is right in colorado springs, about 5 miles from the OTC.

Thanks guys

You can email eddie and ask for the criteria to work out there at edliddie@aol.com. But like Goldmedal said, it would be wise to have a nationally known coach call him.

His address is on the USJudo.org website. Use this path:

Links
Colorado
Registered Clubs
OTC is listed toward the bottom.

Like other post....if you're not good and don't present a challenge to those players you won't get alot out of it in my opinion. Those guys are there to train seriously, preparing for big events such as the Olympic trials....they don't have time to do much teaching.

clown has the correct for a change.

If you are a beginner, forget it.

As FAMLIMAN wrote, you can ask Coach Liddie for details.

Ben R.

Yeah, if you are a beginner, I wouldn't do it. It could be hazardous to your health. :-)

TheJudoMachine: 'Sup? I have one question...when you get back from Athens can I take a picture with you while you have your medal on?

Jarvis

"Yeah, if you are a beginner, I wouldn't do it. It could be hazardous to your health. :-) "

LOL! That about says it all. When I went to the OTC in the earlies '80s, my coach at the time (who was in the top 8 in -95 kg), assigned a "protector" to me to keep me away from the guys who would fuck up a sankyu for fun.

I'm not saying it's that bad now!

Ben R.

"who would fuck up a sankyu for fun."

Wow, that's the spirit of Judo!

"who would ---- up a sankyu for fun"

In other words they could be liken unto criminals, and or thugs. What I mean by that is that they have no regard for the laws of the land or other people.

Not all judoka follow the spirit of Judo.

"assigned a "protector" to me to keep me away from the guys who would fuck up a sankyu for fun."

Are you sure you don't watch too many Kung Fu movies?

""assigned a "protector" to me to keep me away from the guys who would fuck up a sankyu for fun."
Are you sure you don't watch too many Kung Fu movies?"

Very funny, but that is exactly what happened, he asked one of his friends who lived there at the time to watch out for me, make sure I did randori with guys who would not just beat the crap out of me for fun.

Wait, I forgot, all the guys at the OTC in the early 80s were complete saints! What was I thinking!

Ben R.

""who would fuck up a sankyu for fun."
Wow, that's the spirit of Judo! "

Hey, not everybody does Judo for personal development or mutual welfare and benefit.

Ben R.

""who would ---- up a sankyu for fun"

In other words they could be liken unto criminals, and or thugs. What I mean by that is that they have no regard for the laws of the land or other people.

Not all judoka follow the spirit of Judo."

I think somebody mentioned "fresh meat" earlier in this thread.

Ben R.

Can one still stay at the OTC and train for free?

Assuming you're good enough they want you, of course.

you can ricky... eddie sets that up. most people who are there dont like the dorms and get apartments off campus.. the rules there are very strict on things like judo players tend to really find enjoyment of-- such as alcohol and girlfriends/boyfriends..

Josh,

Have you ever trained there before?

Thanks for the reply, BTW

Actually, I would not expect to ever be welcomed to train there. At least at there high level classes, which is what it sounds like the adult classes are. Those guys are at a completely different level, not only in skill and technique, but just their reason for doing judo. For any recreational/late starter judo player to go there would be kind of nuts in my opinion. People at that level have to train in a different way and don't have time to slow down for others not as developed. Same goes for any of the high level classes (SJSU, JMJC, etc). Now if they have a different class for everyone where the upper level guys may still come, that would be a different story.