Olympic Trials

this isnt anything tha ANYBODY from san jose state knew about... unless you are foolish enough to think that mr. uchida has enough pull with the usoc that he can just move the trials i dont get why you cant believe this. and, if mr. uchida did/does have that type of pull, then why didnt he do it years n years ago when all the trials were at the otc?????

come on, think about it. none of us knew that the usoc pulled the bid from ohio, or was it ohio who said they couldnt after being awarded it (idunno which way it went), and when we saw the woman who was there to represent the san jose sports authority all she said was that she was there to bid on the junior nationals. shbe didnt even know about the trials until that evening!

it was worked out 100% by the usoc and the cities themselves. ypou can even ask brian olsen, ron tripp or anybody on any committee dealing with the usoc about it... they will say that nothing we really do or say is going to influence the usoc to do something different once they have made a decision.

they were very happy with the titan games, thats what this is all coming down to. there is a huge tkd population here with thr reyes' west coast group that will almost guarantee a sell-out crowd in combination with whatever judo fans show up and local advertising.

there isnt another major city that has the same potential for sponsorship and crowd size. you are just going to have to accept that.

i suggest you come here at least a week ahead of time if you want to be more familiar with the settings here. that way you can also get cofy in whatever hotel bed youll be in.. it will be held in the same arena that we hosted the senior nationALS, HS/COLLEGE nationals, titan games and wher the sj buddhist memorial tourament is every year.

-resnick

Coming from the east coast, it's going to cost me more for my flight ticket. But I'm eager to see some great judo. By the way may, are the hotels expensive? Need somewhere to stay.

Listen Aaron,

I hope you don't think I took that too personal but to have the
honor thing questioned again is a bit of a problem for me. I have
done a great job as athletes rep and I am not allowed to tell you
everything that happens in the exec comm meeting. The things I
tell you are very close to what occured. Now so far as Mr. Uchida is
concerned he was sitting there at the end of the table just as
shocked as we all were. San Jose and Houston had already put in
bids. You do remember that they were both Olympic bid cities?

Additionally the trials being in the west is nothing to you but in
the east is horrible for those in the west. Time change for you is
later in the day where as coming east is way earlier in the morning
for those this far west. So now you tell me which is fair -
makingthe west coast folks weigh-in at 3 am their time and fight
at 6 am or have you come west (no altitude) and what would be 6
am your time and fighting at noon your time. You tell me there is
no fairness factor in this. beyond this the Springs was never fair to
anyone but the people from there and yet there we spent so much
time. Here I will make sure the stands are full by hook or by crook
you will fight in front of a huge audience and not just of Judo
people the way it has always been. Could Texas or Cleveland do
that?

Just my thoughts again - address the fairnesses issue if you wish
but this way sounds ok to me. By the way I am currently trying to
work something out with my gym (Pinnacle Fitness) around the
corner to provide temp memberships for all participants that come
in early - you can thank me later because this gym is
bbbbbbaaaaaddddddd.

David

Not sure what they have worked out yet, but if I hear of stuff
putout bythe sports authority I will passit on. As you can see we
still don't know a lot of their plans other then the framework of
the plans - but as I said the stands will be packed one way or
another. As they should be for a trials.

David

David,

What type of mktg will be done to get the stands filled? (I'm speaking specifically of people not familiar or knowledgeable of judo.)

Like myself I know there will be a lot of judoka there.

My shows ratings are still very high and I am linked to every
school in the San Jose area. We will see what can happen but I am
sure that it will happen in big style.

David

It'll be cool for Judo forum members to meet up in SJ!

....and kill each other.

David can you recommend some hotels in the area? Something reasonable and close to the venue.
thanks,

Famliman

chitownbrawla, Your posts left me wondering where in the United States would it be fair for everyone? What is your criteria for fairness? If it's just that you need your OWN bed the night before a tourney, we can have it shipped out for you. I wonder if you make the team, will you then tell the folks in Greece that we should have the Olympics in Cleveland......to make it fair for everyone?

I mean this post as no disrespect to you, however, I urge you to reconsider your thought processes. The second you let one variable like tournament location become a distraction, you've opened the door for defeat. You say it doesn't bother you, yet you devote entire posts to the unfairness of it all.

I get frustrated when I hear and see some of our "elites" belly aching about every and anything that threatens their comfort. The ultimate goal for many US Judoka seems to be to make the Olympic team, where it seems to me this objective would be a intermediate goal, enroute to the Olympic Gold medal.

I think what Rhadi was trying to say with his post was that it's time to train with the right mindset,goals, and the fewest distractions. You should be able to sleep on the pavement the night before and still smack anyone down when it counts. Don't worry about what bed your in, but feel fortunate for the opportunity that so many of us never had.......then take advantage of that opportunity by kicking azz on your way to the Gold Medal.

Peace

the hotels directly near downtown cost a bit. they are all brand new or redone.. about 200 a night last i heard. there is a hotel near my apartment which is considerably cheaper, its a comfort in, brand spankin new.. not the 100% best of beighborhoods in san jose, but right near the freeways and some decent food. im abut 2 miles away from the university and about 6 blocks from japantown-- a japanese food lover's dream come true.

ill go to the comfort in and ask wha their rates are for ya.. just so you know.

-resnick

FAMLIMAN,

I have been able to get great deals on hotes very close to SJS in the past by searching the Internet. I'm talking 65 a night instead of 200 a night like Josh is talking about. In a 3 or 4 star hotel no less, withing easy walking distance of SJS and the tournament venue.

So spend some time on the 'Net and see what you can do.

Ben R.

clown,
ive got no problem with it, but i dont open my door to strangers so that would have to change... id have to clear it with the lady of the house too..

-resnick

Japantown????...I thought they were called Little Tokyo(s) in North America?

Japantown is a blatant rip-off of Chinatown ;o)

"ill go to the comfort in and ask wha their rates are for ya.. just so you know"

Thanks Josh...

Thanks to you also Ben. I will do that.

sothy... iguesso.. but, japantown here is clean- very clean.. unlike chinatown, where you get a sideorder or roach with your meal.

-resnick

okay.. for those who are interested..

it is a COMFORT INN. located at 875 N 13 St. SJ, CA 95112.direct phone number is 408.287.9380 or 287.9388

the general manager's name is Benjamin Shamoun.
room rates are $80 sun-thurs and $70 on fri/sat.

its a ismple hotel, lots of parking, breand spaking new, clean, continental breakfast, newspaper, basic room amenities (iron, coffeemaker, etc), there is no pool or anything.

it is literally right off the 880 freeway and 1/4 mile from the 101. Japantown is about 8 blocks away, SJSU & downtown is 2 miles away. there is a nice mexican restraunt right next door to the hotel, a family owned italian deli and real donut shoppe a few blocks down.

-resnick

Thanks Josh, I appreciate the information......