Omaha HiLo

Anyone else play this online? I just started focusing on it in December and have been having alot of success so far. It seems you just have to be able to read the board to do well.

Hank

how do you play the low hand? i've only played omaha. i meant what are the rules for the low hand? do a pair of aces count as 2 single cards or is that a pair?

thanks

I really enjoy the game, just a lot of fun.

Lows are hands that consist of five cards that are 8 or lower, so no card can be ranked higher then an 8. For the low in Omaha straights and flushes don't count against you, so the lowest low (nut-low) is A-2-3-4-5, the second nut low is A-2-3-4-6, etc. You'll often see the low listed from highest to lowest, so you'll often see things like 6-5-4-2-A listed as a low, which can help a beginner who's confused about the lows because all you have to do is turn the cards into a five digit number (from highest to lowest) using the ace as a one, to decide who has the lowest low, so 7-5-4-3-2 (75,432) is lower then 7-6-3-2-A (76,321). It's a lot of fun, and the trick is trying to scoop the pots so you pull in both the high and the low, but you also have to watch out for when someone else is betting hardcore cause you both might be going after the nut-low and thus you each get a quarter of the pot, while the player who got the high hand gets the full high half of the pot.

It's a lot of fun in my opinion. Remember you have to have 3 low cards (8 or lower) on the board for there to be a low out there. Like the high you have to use 2 of your hole cards, and it can be any combinatino of your hole cards, so just cause you're using a card for your high you can use it again for your low, or it can be the same two cards for the high and the low, or two seperate cards, it doesn't matter. Fun game, worth playing at least with play money for a little while cause I think a lot of people will find the game enjoyable

I prefer Omaha hi/lo to hold'em. Wilson's turbo omaha software is very good if you're looking to learn before hitting the tables.

I've read cappeletti's book, it's pretty advanced stuff. I'm finding starting hand selection to be the biggest factor in my success thus far. Alot of the play is geared towards opponent's who are fairly savvy, where you win pots by inches rather than miles. I haven't found that to be the case online.

hank

Cappeletti's book is not good.

omaha is THE easiest game to beat at low stakes.

Your win % can be higher than in ANY other game.

A quality starting will often hit draws on the flop to the nuts that will be hit 40-even 70% of the time.

When you have 5 people calling and you have a 70% chance to hit your hand its awesome.

I really lewarned this game when my BRoll went low a few years ago, it is a great game for consistency

its too wild for me to play online i do enjoy the game but i can't afford these lunatics