O'Malley

UFC bantamweight Sean O’Malley is looking to bump up his pay ahead of the biggest fight of his career.

O’Malley (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) meets ranked contender Pedro Munhoz (19-7 MMA, 9-7 UFC) on July 2 at UFC 276, a big step up in competition from his recent wins.

The 27-year-old turned heads when he once stated that he’ll fight ranked opposition only with an increase in pay and after inking a new UFC deal, it looks like he might’ve gotten his wish. However, O’Malley has big aspirations when it comes to his fight purse, and knows he has the drawing power to achieve it.

“I actually recently sat down with the UFC, re-signed with them, and I had a great conversation with Sean Shelby,” O’Malley said on ESPN’s “DC & RC” show. “I go in there, and I say, ‘Hey, I want to make this amount of money. How do I do that? What do I need to do as a business partner to the UFC to end up making the amount of money I want to make?’ For me, I want to get to a point where I’m making a million dollars a fight. Obviously I’m not there right now, and that’s not what I’m expecting to make against Pedro, but that’s where my mind’s at.”

“I want to go in there and say, ‘Hey, what do I have to do outside the UFC?’ Obviously I’m doing what I need to do inside the UFC. I’m putting people’s lights out, and I’m bringing eyeballs to the sport. What can I do outside the UFC to make more money, but I haven’t beat a guy in the top 10. I haven’t even beat guy in the top 15, and I’m balling out. So whatever I’m doing, it’s working.”
Considering his octagon experience, O’Malley has made a significant name for himself while inking some major deals in the process. During the interview on ESPN, O’Malley showed off his cars, which included a pink Lamborghini.

Probably should actually fight then

8 Likes

Munhoz may officially end his hype train.

6 Likes

“I have watched my fights back over and over again and every time I hear you and Joe say something, they say, ‘I don’t know why they don’t kick his legs like Chito Vera did. It was very effective for him’. Oh god, it drives me crazy ‘DC’. That drives me crazy. Because the leg kick he landed wasn’t a good quality leg kick. My leg kicks I was landing on him were making him spin around in circles. His big toe hit the nerve when I was pulling out from a kick.”

Idk why but this dude and that fat ass Pimply whatever his name is are so annoying and unlikable to me

6 Likes

Having risen into the rankings following his first-round knockout of Raulian Paiva last December, O’Malley earned a new deal with the UFC ahead of his push towards the top 10 and title contention.

During a recent appearance on ESPN MMA’s DC & RC show, O’Malley discussed the conversations that went down with the UFC brass during negotiations.

While many have gone on the offense when it comes to a desire for more pay, O’Malley took a different approach, asking the promotion what he needs to do to reach his financial goals. That lucrative target? $1 million per fight.

“I actually recently sat down with the UFC, re-signed with them,” said O’Malley. “And I had a great conversation with Sean Shelby. I go in there and I say, ‘Hey, I wanna make this amount of money. How do I do that? What do I need to do as a business partner to the UFC to end up making the amount of money I wanna make.’

“For me, I wanna get to point where I’m making a million dollars a fight. Obviously I’m not there right now and that’s not what I’m expecting to make against Pedro (Munhoz). But that’s where my mind’s at,” added O’Malley. (h/t Sportskeeda MMA)

The road to reaching that figure will next need to go through the #10-ranked Munhoz, whom O’Malley is set to share the Octagon with at UFC 276 next month.

Should he emerge victorious, not only will “Sugar” have moved one step closer to the bantamweight gold, but he’d have further legitimized his potential with the addition of a perennial contender to his blossoming résumé.

“I think ‘Prelim Pedro’ is a great next step,” said O’Malley. “He’s never been finished. I’m definitely looking to go in there put his lights out.”

He’s a talented kid. The pot head stuff is going to hold him back

weirdest humble brag ever: I haven’t beat anybody yet but I’ ballin

He is lucky Andre Soukh had a brain fart and went into his guard because his leg was gone. That should have been a L easily, he could not continue that fight. All Andre had to do was back up.

Chito went way past him already because Sean is making his record healthy. But my money would be on Vera to rektd his arse again.

2 Likes

Munhoz is another tune up fight. Pedro always makes it look good though but he will get punched on the face for an easy 30-27 or late KO loss.

1 Like

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

2 Likes

You mean like Rogan

Rogan the mma fighter in USADA testing pool?

2 Likes

I can’t stand this guy. I’m looking forward to hearing about his BKFC debut.

4 Likes