OMG!! NOW BLOODYELBOW.com ACTUALLY SAID....

... something nice.

Suck My Sunshine: The Bright Sides of UFC 131

There's a difference between obsequious cheerleading and illustrating the positive side of things, just like there is with cruelly berating someone and lending constructive criticism. The difference is, in the world of MMA, voicing the cons far outweighs acknowledging the pros.

So, to fill that niche in the market, I bring you "Suck My Sunshine", where I will simply highlight some of the wholesome moments in our beloved world of face punching. Quite humbly, I'll start by patting myself on the back for the graphic above, which is basically the greatest artwork mankind has ever created.

From UFC 131, in reverse chronological order, I'll point out some encouraging facets of a fight, improvements from a fighter, or just something ... good. I know it sounds totally bizarre and off the wall, but let's try it.

1. Shane Carwin

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that many analysts and media outlets pinned a big question mark on Carwin's conditioning and heart going into his bout with Junior dos Santos.

There was nothing cemented further than the admirable spirit and fierce determination of Shane Carwin in Saturday's main event. He trudged on through the remaining ten minutes after enduring merciless punishment from dos Santos in the opening round. Carwin demonstrated that he didn't have a five-minute expiration date, embracing the diversity by brawling valiantly to the first third-round and decision of his career.

Let's also keep in mind that Carwin has tackled exactly four top-tier opponents in all of his fourteen fights, and is relatively inexperienced and still acclimating to the harsh environment of MMA's elite level. This was a promising step forward for Carwin as a fighter despite the result.

Exactly one other heavyweight survived to a decision against the brick-fisted dos Santos after absorbing a three round torrent of leather, and that was Roy Nelson, who has a reputation for his resilience and ability to take a vicious beating. Carwin now has only two losses on his record: one to then-top heavyweight Brock Lesnar, who Carwin mauled to a near stoppage in a dominant first round, and the other to the prime contender and top ranked heavyweight Junior dos Santos.

2. Kenny Florian and Diego Nunes

Dropping a full weight class for the first time and fighting with a steady pace for three rounds is always a good sign, so I'll give KenFlo a nod for that right away. Now, think about the expectations and pressure surrounding Florian for this fight, which was almost a lose/lose scenario. After being a perennial contender at lightweight and one of the most reputable names in the UFC, many had him pegged as the next big challenge for Jose Aldo as soon as his introduction to the weight class was announced.

One of Florian's biggest advantages at lightweight was his startling quickness and agility; a plus that will significantly dwindle against the mighty mouses at featherweight. Along with the new weight class must come better realization of his new strengths and weaknesses, which Florian has plenty of time to map out.

As far as Nunes, not too long ago, Florian was paddling Takanori Gomi's head around with his jab. "The Fireball Kid" was one of the most outrageously volatile strikers the sport -- much less the lightweight division -- has ever witnessed. Nunes not only went toe-to-toe with Florian, but wobbled him a few times with seriously enhanced stand-up, shook off a good number of takedowns while landing a few of his own.

I have trouble buying that Florian's precise striking somehow regressed. Therefore, one could conclude that Diego Nunes, who was controlled by L.C. Davis and might have had more trouble standing with Mike Brown and Raphael Assuncao, is accelerating his credibility by tightening up his weak spots quickly and efficiently.

3. Mark Munoz and Demian Maia

I thought Joe Rogan summed this up accordingly: A ridiculously decorated sport grappler that many felt was "mostly one-dimensional" dazed and cornered Munoz with sizzling blasts of kickboxing, and was arguably more effective standing than on the ground. We're talking about a guy whose striking went from "icky" to "I guess it doesn't hurt my eyes, at least" to "well I'll be damned" to "egads, Munoz is doing the stanky leg!" His progression in the last few years has been phenomenal, and this is another cat with just seventeen fights who's been facing premiere fighters for only two years.

Conversely, D1 All American Mark Munoz took Maia down and didn't get submitted, and won many of the sequences on the ground. Considering Maia's past performances and scalding submission acumen, that's a triumph in itself. He also won the fight. Not bad for a fairly green wrestler with four years and thirteen fights in MMA.

FULL HAPPINESS HERE

What's your fucking problem with Junior dos Santos, Jesse Bongfeldt, and Aaron Rosa BRO???

PS Source me when you turn my threads into content swagga jacker...

13. The Judging

Strangely, there is a positive we can take away from the judging at UFC 131: can we now stop with the painful diatribes that "monitors" and "former fighters" are the solution to the judging problem? Scratch those off the list as the culprits to controversial decisions.

Bill MahoodJason Darrah, and Dave "30-27" Hagen were all former fighters. Monitors won't hurt, but are not the absolute answer. And I don't care if it's a former fisherman, felon, or seamstress, I'll take a former anything as long as he or she is a good MMA judge.

The benefit is that now we know that -- while a revamp of the scoring criteria could be considered -- what we need is simple: people who understood MMA and the scoring system.

New Icon

Other than that, nice work.

both

^LOL, nice work on that other thread JJ. Interesting that Darrah actually popped up on that thread to comment as well.

But you didn't mention anything about the monitors, and I agree with the poster who identified you as clearly racist.

suess -  are you talkin to UJ or the author of the article? 

Are you familiar with "Cuato" from Total Recall? It's kinda like that.

It's hard to tell, because I hide my Cuato in my Cauliflower ear. So it's more like Cualo or Cualflo or something.

suess -  maybe some light internet stalking?

Dude, don't be creepy! Just go directly to the heavy stalking ... I won't even play hard to get. I'm already posting revealing pictures of myself.

I am a self loathing individual so by nature I hate white people, I can't help it.

I wish Darrah contributed something of substance to the thread...although I wouldn't be surprised if he is not allowed to do so.  Obviously training helps, but it runs far deeper than that.  Some people know a lot and can be taught about the sport, yet not be able to watch a live fight and properly determine who won.  I also think using former fighters brings a boatload of biases into play.

Aaron Rosa is the man, 100% heart and fighting out of his natural weight class...

Cyril Jeff -  Aaron Rosa is the man, 100% heart and fighting out of his natural weight class...

He was at 205 not too long ago, did he just decide "fuck it, I really like Pizza and fast food"???

Beltran is a natural 205 fighting at HW, but holy shit Rosa's a natural 205 who is fighting barely under the HW limit.

they finally got rid of that snowden twat

for later

and how about that striking from Maia UJ?

jjj2121 - 
Cyril Jeff -  Aaron Rosa is the man, 100% heart and fighting out of his natural weight class...

He was at 205 not too long ago, did he just decide "fuck it, I really like Pizza and fast food"???

Beltran is a natural 205 fighting at HW, but holy shit Rosa's a natural 205 who is fighting barely under the HW limit.

honeslty I couldn't say for certain, but I know he has a family and he's a good dude.

I think it's probably difficult for guys that have to focus on working either part time, or full time to provide for the family, all while keeping your diet right, training scheduale on track. not an excuse, more of an explination...

DamnSevern - for later

and how about that striking from Maia UJ?

Pretty fucking unreal, honestly. Seemingly insane improvements after his loss to Marquardt.

First he out-boxed Dan Miller, who is not an elite striker, but just tough as shit in every aspect of MMA, and Maia's shown shocking advancement in every fight since then.

It's truly a tribute to his athleticism and ability to learn.

Cyril Jeff - 
jjj2121 - 

honeslty I couldn't say for certain, but I know he has a family and he's a good dude.

I think it's probably difficult for guys that have to focus on working either part time, or full time to provide for the family, all while keeping your diet right, training scheduale on track. not an excuse, more of an explination...

This is all good to know. I read somewhere about his change in weight when doing research, but can't remember where or what it was.

The only reason I didn't include him is because he came in as the favorite over Beltran. I thought that was an enormous amount of flattery for him right off the bat. Beltran isn't a polished, fluid technician or anything, but he's one of the most hard-nosed brawlers in the game.

Not only was Rosa favored, but two new HWs in Herman and Einemo were promoted to the main card instead of him. Joey's a really nice and classy dude, so I wanted to pay my respects for him just keeping his mouth shut and fighting his ass off.

I'd love to interview Aaron if you could hook that up, CJ.

Uncle Justice - 
Cyril Jeff - 
jjj2121 - 

This is all good to know. I read somewhere about his change in weight when doing research, but can't remember where or what it was.

The only reason I didn't include him is because he came in as the favorite over Beltran. I thought that was an enormous amount of flattery for him right off the bat. Beltran isn't a polished, fluid technician or anything, but he's one of the most hard-nosed brawlers in the game.

Not only was Rosa favored, but two new HWs in Herman and Einemo were promoted to the main card instead of him. Joey's a really nice and classy dude, so I wanted to pay my respects for him just keeping his mouth shut and fighting his ass off.

I'd love to interview Aaron if you could hook that up, CJ.

yeah, it's a shame their fight was not on the main card, that fight was a real WAR. needs to be seen by fans, great fight.

we have a mutual friend, I'll give him a shout!

Very good article, I must say i'm a fan.

Uberstone - Very good article, I must say i'm a fan.

Why, thank you!

Seriously though, keep that quiet if you hope to retain any credibility.  :)

And thanks, Cyril Jeff.