Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. *spoilers*

donkypunch55 - 
Dangerousdoug - a much better done and very similar movie is boogie nights with mark whalberg et al from the late 90s which is low key about john holmes and the wonderland murders. but, because they change some of the events, they changed the names! even though its much truer to real events than once upon a time.

go back and watch boogie nights, im telling you its the superior film.

great cast too with whalberg, john c riley, heather graham, burt reynolds, julianne moore who gets fucked andu see her tits in it and u see heather grahams bush in it too. william h macy has a great role and his wife nina hartley. and phillip seymor hoffman is great in it. tom jane is good it in too and alfred molina. don cheadle too.

seriously, go back and watch boogie nights or check it out if u havent seen it. very similar to once upon a time but much better. one of my favs. cheers.

And no.  It isn’t.

Great film but apples to oranges.

There wasn’t any historical to “look forward” to in Boogie Nights.

I agree, it’s an amazing film but not comparable as it relates to historic content.

it was partly about john holmes and the wonderland murders and yes it was the better film. critics and audiences agree with the assessment.

Dark Knight - It was a cool ending. Fight that kills all the bad guys in a spectacular way, then He tells Leo to come to the hospital tomorrow like its not a big deal and the neighbors asking him over (big murder didn't happen like real life)

After that he would have become a big hero, been Dirty Harry and a action star.

And what a good dog

Kills all the bad guys? Who were the bad guys? The Manson family member hadn’t killed anyone yet and were simply trying to get revenge for one of their own members getting beat down

donkypunch55 - 
Dangerousdoug - Good movie overall, but I didnt appreciate the complete rewriting of historical events.

Think they could have done it in a different way thats cool and still stayed true to historical events.

Like say Cliff and Leo run into the would be murderers at a bar and get into a scrap and fuck up charlie manson or something, then the hippies go back looking for them for retribution thinking they lived in tates house and the murders ensue to mistaken identity? idk, just thought like gimme a break watching it go down. then maybe u have the duo get involved with the investigation and help infiltrate the compound and take them down.

Fun movie though but u cant completely change history like that due to wishful thinking. or maybe just leave it out. that pissed me off.

I respectfully disagree.  The whole reason the movie was so good (in part) was the deviation at the end.

i spent almost 3 hours waiting to see this poor beautiful girl get massacred and instead, we got the ending we got.

If nothing else, the relief of not having to watch that was the payoff.

I didn’t quite understand the ending of Inglourious Basterds for the same reason, but Once Upon a Time actually made sense to me. Tarantino is telling a story, and these stories have happy endings.

Dangerousdoug -
donkypunch55 - 
Dangerousdoug - a much better done and very similar movie is boogie nights with mark whalberg et al from the late 90s which is low key about john holmes and the wonderland murders. but, because they change some of the events, they changed the names! even though its much truer to real events than once upon a time.

great cast too with whalberg, john c riley, heather graham, burt reynolds, julianne moore who gets fucked andu see her tits in it and u see heather grahams bush in it too. william h macy has a great role and his wife nina hartley. and phillip seymor hoffman is great in it. tom jane is good it in too and alfred molina. don cheadle too.

seriously, go back and watch boogie nights or check it out if u havent seen it. very similar to once upon a time but much better. one of my favs. cheers.

And no.  It isn’t.

I agree, it’s an amazing film but not comparable as it relates to historic content.

it was partly about john holmes and the wonderland murders and yes it was the better film. critics and audiences agree with the assessment.

Boogie Nights - Rotten Tomatoes

Both were trying to capture a particular era, 60’s/70’s, and Boogie Nights did it better.

I still enjoyed Hollywood…

MrBoone - 
Dangerousdoug -
donkypunch55 - 

And no.  It isn’t.

Both were trying to capture a particular era, 60’s/70’s, and Boogie Nights did it better.

I still enjoyed Hollywood…

this guy gets it.

ons ear - 
Dark Knight - It was a cool ending. Fight that kills all the bad guys in a spectacular way, then He tells Leo to come to the hospital tomorrow like its not a big deal and the neighbors asking him over (big murder didn't happen like real life)

And what a good dog

Kills all the bad guys? Who were the bad guys? The Manson family member hadn’t killed anyone yet and were simply trying to get revenge for one of their own members getting beat down

Ummm… I don’t think you were paying attention to the film, or to what happened in real life. Both history and the film show Tex as leading a party to kill everyone at the Tate/Polanski home, and it didn’t have anything to do with the film’s protagonists. Even after Rick confronted them in the street, it STILL wasn’t about revenge for their friend getting beaten up at the ranch, they had no idea Cliff was with Rick Dalton.

The girl in the car proposed killing Rick Dalton as a way to satisfy her urge to kill the people that kill on film. They had no idea, when they busted into the home, Cliff was going to be there. Zero.

Dangerousdoug -
donkypunch55 - 

And no.  It isn’t.

lol, rotten tomatoes…

It’s cool, it’s opinions about movies.  They are going to differ sometimes.

Heard it was good, turned out to be super boring tbh, fell asleep a few times. Just not my type of movie.

AnthonyWeiner -
ons ear - 

And what a good dog

Ummm… I don’t think you were paying attention to the film, or to what happened in real life. Both history and the film show Tex as leading a party to kill everyone at the Tate/Polanski home, and it didn’t have anything to do with the film’s protagonists. Even after Rick confronted them in the street, it STILL wasn’t about revenge for their friend getting beaten up at the ranch, they had no idea Cliff was with Rick Dalton.

The girl in the car proposed killing Rick Dalton as a way to satisfy her urge to kill the people that kill on film. They had no idea, when they busted into the home, Cliff was going to be there. Zero.

Ha yeah, it wasn’t like that was a subtle message or anything 

I liked it.  Favorite part was when Leo was threatening himself in the mirror.  I thought that scene overall was very well done.

Huh! I was flipping through some books I am selling online, one of which was the autobiography of Clayton Moore, famous for playing the Lone Ranger. (Title is "I Was That Masked Man"). I saw a reference to the Manson family as I flipped through, and read that section...which was apparently the source for the scene where Cliff visits the Spahn Ranch. 

Moore says he stopped by to say hi to Spahn in July 1969, whom he knew from making westerns, and found all these hippies hanging around who didn't appear to be his children. When he asked to see Spahn, they directed him to a dilapidated trailer. He went inside and found Spahn in bed in total darkness. Moore asked how he ewas doing, Spahn recognized his voice and started to cry. They spoke for a while and Spahn seemed very distressed and depressed. A young woman (whom Moore thought was Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, who tried to assassinate President Ford) came in and dropped a plate of food on the table and shoved it roughly towards Spahn. Moore left afetr about an hour but worried for years later about having left him there in danger when he found out about the Tate killings.

Tarantino probably incorporated other bits of Hollywood stories like this, and the fight between Gene LeBell and Bruce Lee.

3 Likes

I really liked it. Thought it was great really. The ending was awesome and a twist I wasn't expecting. 

That being said, I don't think I'd watch it again. It was a one time viewing for me. Unlike most of his others, like Hateful 8 or Django or Inglorious Bastards that I loved watching again.

schoech1 -

I liked it.  Favorite part was when Leo was threatening himself in the mirror.  I thought that scene overall was very well done.

Excellent scene, loved it

The Stewed Owl -

Huh! I was flipping through some books I am selling online, one of which was the autobiography of Clayton Moore, famous for playing the Lone Ranger. (Title is "I Was That Masked Man"). I saw a reference to the Manson family as I flipped through, and read that section...which was apparently the source for the scene where Cliff visits the Spahn Ranch. 

Moore says he stopped by to say hi to Spahn in July 1969, whom he knew from making westerns, and found all these hippies hanging around who didn't appear to be his children. When he asked to see Spahn, they directed him to a dilapidated trailer. He went inside and found Spahn in bed in total darkness. Moore asked how he ewas doing, Spahn recognized his voice and started to cry. They spoke for a while and Spahn seemed very distressed and depressed. A young woman (whom Moore thought was Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, who tried to assassinate President Ford) came in and dropped a plate of food on the table and shoved it roughly towards Spahn. Moore left afetr about an hour but worried for years later about having left him there in danger when he found out about the Tate killings.

Tarantino probably incorporated other bits of Hollywood stories like this, and the fight between Gene LeBell and Bruce Lee.

Great info.

The more I watch this movie, and the more I read about old Hollywood, the more I think this is one of the greatest films of the last decade. Truly brilliant…

1 Like

It’s a great movie.

I love his version of it too, just crazy Tarantino. Brad Pitt absolutely killed it in this movie lol , when he throws Bruce Lee against the car I always lose it.

3 Likes

I started laughing uncontrollably at the end the first time I saw it in theaters…I must’ve looked maniacal…

1 Like

That scene is also like a 3 minute one shot. Just amazing.
Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Tarantino film.

This is probably up in the thread somewhere, but it’s a fun watch. I work with a guy in his 50’s who said he would punch Tarantino for disrespecting Bruce lol. Old school.

1 Like

I really liked Leo in this movie. The movie within a movie was really interesting.

I didn’t really like Pitts solo scenes and I wasn’t familiar with the history at all, so much of the movie was lost on me.