One doctor commits suicide every day

Https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180508/doctors-suicide-rate-highest-of-any-professiontt

I believe it. Especially in acute care . The process going through your residency is brutal.

Didn't read the article but is this for medical doctors or all doctors?

TeamRenzo - Didn't read the article but is this for medical doctors or all doctors?

PhDs in gender studies

6 Likes

Doctor money and status isn't what it used to be, and the insurance and other liabilities keeps going up.

3 Likes

topteam71 - 

I believe it. Especially in acute care . The process going through your residency is brutal.

This is why I specialize in Obtuse care.

1 Like

ScreenName22 - 
forumnewb - Https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180508/doctors-suicide-rate-highest-of-any-professiontt

Cause of suicide, "COVID related".

https://youtu.be/_qWmiWf81zI

forumnewb - Https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180508/doctors-suicide-rate-highest-of-any-professiontt

That thread doesn't work.  This one does: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180508/doctors-suicide-rate-highest-of-any-profession#1

Most of them kill themselves to get a degree that they believe will provide a career that is both lucrative, exciting, and rewarding. It’s not that lucrative, it’s definitely monotonous, and it’s rarely rewarding treating mostly hygiene issues and life diseases. I own 6 medical clinics and we’ve had 12-15 doctors in the 20 years we’ve been open. 90% of them didn’t enjoy being a doctor and wished they’d done something else. 

Eskimo - 

Most of them kill themselves to get a degree that they believe will provide a career that is both lucrative, exciting, and rewarding. It’s not that lucrative, it’s definitely monotonous, and it’s rarely rewarding treating mostly hygiene issues and life diseases. I own 6 medical clinics and we’ve had 12-15 doctors in the 20 years we’ve been open. 90% of them didn’t enjoy being a doctor and wished they’d done something else. 

Because most do it for the money & prestige?

Or that they can't care about people as they expected to?

Or something else?

Eskimo -

Interesting statistic, thanks for sharing.

122 people that aren't doctors commit suicide in the U.S. each day.

4 Likes
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Eskimo - 

Or something else?

Both. I’ve also noticed that most have an unhappy home life. Seems like lots end up with a wife that wanted to marry a doctor and she ends up being a huge expense and overall pain in the ass. We’ve also had several who were completely broke in their early 60’s because they had shitty kids that they refused to cut off. 
About 10 years ago we had one that told me he grew up really poor and had a Lamborghini poster on his wall his entire childhood. Said it really motivated him to become a doctor and do well in school. Said he was hugely disappointed when he realized he’d never be able to afford one after being a doc for 4-5 years. He also had the exact wife I described. I think he was also an alcoholic. We’ve had several of those as well. 

Eskimo - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Eskimo - 

Or something else?

Both. I’ve also noticed that most have an unhappy home life. Seems like lots end up with a wife that wanted to marry a doctor and she ends up being a huge expense and overall pain in the ass. We’ve also had several who were completely broke in their early 60’s because they had shitty kids that they refused to cut off. 
About 10 years ago we had one that told me he grew really poor and had a Lamborghini poster on his wall his entire childhood. Said it really motivated him to become a doctor and do well in school. Said he was hugely disappointed when he realized he’d never be able to afford one after being a doc for 4-5 years. He also had the exact wife I described. I think he was also an alcoholic. We’ve had several of those as well. 

MD from Princeton and PhD from MIT

https://t.co/2PWBMISgJc

1 Like

When I think about the field of medicine the one adage that comes to mind is "an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure".  There's certainly an importance to the medical field, such as trauma treatment and several other things, but I can't help but imagine that a good nutritionist and/or a good life coach could be more impactful on a person's life than their Family doctor.

There is a reason the rich and

middle commit suicide while few poor do.

TheHerps -

There is a reason the rich and

middle commit suicide while few poor do.

???

Eskimo -
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Eskimo - 

Or something else?

About 10 years ago we had one that told me he grew really poor and had a Lamborghini poster on his wall his entire childhood. Said it really motivated him to become a doctor and do well in school. Said he was hugely disappointed when he realized he’d never be able to afford one after being a doc for 4-5 years. He also had the exact wife I described. I think he was also an alcoholic. We’ve had several of those as well. 

Shit like this is why I didn't do medicine or law... What's the point of the money or "prestige" only to have a miserable personal life with a woman that simply sees you as a wallet.

This has been a long term issue that doesn't get enough attention (as with broader suicide rates). 

Are DDSs included in that stat?  Thought they had the highest suicide rates.