one example of why i hate WAR in baseball

i've said many of times on here that stats have their place in evaluating, judging and comparing players.

however, some use of "stats" is just remarkably horrible

for example take WAR

which is becoming in many peoples discussions the end all be all of statistics.

take a look at the 2014 pirates starting pitching and WAR

The Pirates ranked last in WAR for starting pitchers in 2014.

HOWEVER
the Pirates ranked 10th in strikeout percentage and 14th in walk percentage.

The Pirates' starters did lead the majors in ground ball percentage

so middle of the pack in K's and BB's but BEST in the best way to get opposing teams out (groundballs)

and still based on statistical analysis of WAR they were the worst starting pitchers in baseball.

friggin retarded.

same thing as a few years ago Andrew McCutcheon had a NEGATIVE DEFENSIVE WAR. LOLOLOLOL seriously

please stop using WAR as a point of emphasis in baseball statistics people. please.

bighurtrocks - War, WAR!!! Phone Post 3.0

what is it good for?....

Absolutely nuthin...Huh!!!

Wanted to see gifs of bench clearing brawls.

I am disappoint. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah WAR is such a crappy stat. Especially the defensive component which is very subjective. Phone Post

I thought K's were considered a better way to get outs because it means the hitters aren't making contact

PatK - I thought K's were considered a better way to get outs because it means the hitters aren't making contact
Takes atleast 3 pitches, a ground ball takes one, a pitcher that's thrown 70 pitches is able to play longer than a pitcher throwing 210 Phone Post 3.0

KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye - 
PatK - I thought K's were considered a better way to get outs because it means the hitters aren't making contact
Takes atleast 3 pitches, a ground ball takes one, a pitcher that's thrown 70 pitches is able to play longer than a pitcher throwing 210 Phone Post 3.0

Maybe I'm getting ground outs/fly outs confused.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you calculate WAR for an entire staff?

Take all the top pitchers most of them are strikeout guys it shows more dominance. The best pitchers ever most are strikeout pitchers. Yes there are examples of those who aren't but this stays true for the most part. Yes it takes 1 pitch for a ground out but the fact remains that you have to pitch for contact. When you have to do this more balls are put in play and bad things happen. also whens the last time we saw a ground ball pitcher use only 1 pitch. Phone Post 3.0