"One fight away" and then crashes?

Listening to Firas's breakdown of Ferguson versus Khabib, I was reminded about George Sotiropoulos. That guy went on an absolute tear around 2009-2010, beating George Roop, Joe Stevenson, Kurt Pelligrino, and Joe Lauzon.

Most people thought he was one fight away from a title shot. Then he lost to Siver, which started a 5 loss skid into retirement.

Anyone else have similar falls from grace? They are climbing the ladder and working their way to the brink of a title shot only to completely drop off the face of the MMA earth as a top fighter?

josh grispi

wiggum - Listening to Firas's breakdown of Ferguson versus Khabib, I was reminded about George Sotiropoulos. That guy went on an absolute tear around 2009-2010, beating George Roop, Joe Stevenson, Kurt Pelligrino, and Joe Lauzon.

Most people thought he was one fight away from a title shot. Then he lost to Siver, which started a 5 loss skid into retirement.

Anyone else have similar falls from grace? They are climbing the ladder and working their way to the brink of a title shot only to completely drop off the face of the MMA earth as a top fighter?

Roger Huerta.

Miguel Torres is a big one.

Houston Alexander was looking like a machine early on 

Miguel cro cop - Miguel Torres is a big one.
Torres was already a champion.

Huerta and Houston Alexander are both great examples.

Reebot - josh grispi

Came to say this

Miguel cro cop - Miguel Torres is a big one.
Seriously, dude went like 30-0 and was the bantamweight champ.

Reebot - josh grispi

This is a good one. This guy was actually scheduled to fight Jose Aldo for the belt, Aldo was injured, so he took another fight and started a losing skid

Though he didn't lose, he was on the cusp of a title shot. Then the injury happened. TJ Grant.   

Marus Davis was 1 fight away from a fight with GSP, and Dan Hardy trolled him so hard that he tried to wrestle 

Dennis Bermudez had won 7 straight at FW and had he beat Lamas he probably would have got a title shot. 

He's 2-3 since that win streak, so not terrible but after being finished by Lamas, Stephens and Zombie, I don't see him coming close to a title shot again. 

Sok.

Tyson Griffin.

Sokoudjou

Chael was like one minute away, does that count?

ABCTT_zebers3 -

Dennis Bermudez had won 7 straight at FW and had he beat Lamas he probably would have got a title shot. 

He's 2-3 since that win streak, so not terrible but after being finished by Lamas, Stephens and Zombie, I don't see him coming close to a title shot again. 

???

You thought Dennis Bermudez after reading....

"They are climbing the ladder and working their way to the brink of a title shot only to completely drop off the face of the MMA earth as a top fighter"

??

Near the end of the Pride era Denis Kang was looking like a badass and then he came over to the UFC and faded away pretty quick. I don't know if it was Mexican supplements or if he was never really that good. Or both.