One of my all time favorite BJJ memes

One of my all time favorite BJJ memes. 

As an instructor, rolling with your students is invaluable way to monitor their progress and provide instruction. It's also a great way to improve your own jiu jitsu as you can always learn from all levels. 

As a student, rolling with your instructor is essential. Sparring in jiu jitsu is the crucible where, through trial and error, you find out what works and what does not work. I tell my students that the techniques they are using should be effective against black belts (not just white belts). What better way to test such skills? 

I am grateful and fortunate that my black belt instructors never hesitated to roll with all of us. At my academy, we keep the same tradition and the black belts regularly roll with all belt levels. 

I never ceased to be amazed at (1) how this is not the case at every academy and (2) the rationals and excuses for why this is not the case at every academy.

I'm with you

I fucking hate that nick saban doesn't get in there during scrimmages and help their progress Phone Post 3.0

Akston - I'm with you

I fucking hate that nick saban doesn't get in there during scrimmages and help their progress Phone Post 3.0
I hate when he bitches out on oklahoma drills Phone Post 3.0

I never had the chance to really roll with black belts throughout my career. I'm willing to roll with everyone and anyone at class. It amazes me how many people would rather sit on the side and not roll then roll with me... I'd have been jumping at the chance to roll with a black belt (I still do!)

If they didn't roll, then id leave that gym Phone Post 3.0

Akston - I'm with you

Apples and Oranges

While it's certainly possible to be a good trainer without actually sparring, I can't imagine wanting to do that (absent injury). Second, Nick Saban, Cus D'Amato, etc are/were actually at the field / gym being very hands on while participating, teaching, coaching- even if they do not actually put on the gloves, etc.

checkuroil - If they didn't roll, then id leave that gym Phone Post 3.0

This

I just had the shit kicked out of me by three black belts today during my lunch hour.

It really is the highlight of my work week. 

That feel when for a split second, you see their eyes get wide like "oh shit, he got that move down!"

that's a wierd concept to me. There are schools where the instructor doesn't roll with the students?

Due to time constraints and number of people rolling I don't get to roll with him every class, but he certainly whoops my ass from here to next Tuesday at least a couple times a week.

depends if you're the instructor and you also have responsibility to monitor the class and observe what's going on.... but yeah...there should be plenty of opportunities for instructors to roll with their students.

I train with everyone at my academy. Win lose or draw..no exceptions. It keeps me humble honest and prepared.

I train with anywhere between five and ten black belts during a given week, and my white belt students have the opportunity with virtually every class to train with one or two black belts.  Can't imagine it being any other way.

<3

Once every six months or so I'll get the chance to roll with him, usually after he's skipped the warmup and sat out for a few rolls. Now I just think of him as the gym owner - two of the other guys at my gym (brown and purple) have taught me way more than my 'instructor' has Phone Post 3.0

I train with all of my students.

However, to be honest, if they are 50+ lbs heavier than me, and the least bit skilled (blue belt and higher), I don't enjoy it that much.

The People's Knee -
Akston - I'm with you

Apples and Oranges

While it's certainly possible to be a good trainer without actually sparring, I can't imagine wanting to do that (absent injury). Second, Nick Saban, Cus D'Amato, etc are/were actually at the field / gym being very hands on while participating, teaching, coaching- even if they do not actually put on the gloves, etc.

Yes I was just being a dick.

Young black belts without health issues should be willing to roll

But some people just want to help teach, are older, or have nagging injuries.

Every practitioner has different reasons for being there Phone Post 3.0

Its a feather in my cap when a student taps me with a technique I taught them.

Philip Proctor - 

Its a feather in my cap when a student taps me with a technique I taught them.

Upvote

Amen! Phone Post 3.0

checkuroil - If they didn't roll, then id leave that gym Phone Post 3.0

Definitely this. Never understood an instructor who doesn't roll with their students. Maybe if they are injured, or older ... But if they simply think they are "too good" to roll with whitebelts maybe instructing isn't something they should be doing.

Look, I don't feel like I'm "too good" to roll with students or anything like that, but for some reason --I don't know why-- the idea of those low-lifes actually touching me fills me with abject rage. 

Sorry, but HELL NO to rolling with students.

If they ask, I tell 'em straight up: get the f@ck out my face and go roll with all the other stupid-ass students over there.