One Piece sets record - 38 million sold in 2011

The marketing survey firm Oricon reported on Thursday that Eiichiro Oda's One Piece pirate manga set a record for the most volumes of manga sold in one year since Oricon began posting its ranking charts in 2008. During the period of November 22, 2010 to November 20, 2011, One Piece sold 37,996,373 copies.

One Piece also took the top four spots for single manga volumes sold during the same time period. Volume 61 sold 3,382,588 copies, volume 62 sold 3,207,568 copies, volume 63 sold 3,073,175 copies, and volume 64 sold 2,652,700 copies. It is the third year in a row that One Piece volumes have taken the top four spots in that category. These four One Piece volumes were also the only manga volumes this year to sell more than 2 million copies.

In 2008, One Piece sold 5,956,540 copies, and in 2009, it sold 14,721,241 copies. Last year, it sold 32,343,809 copies.

2011's second best-selling manga series was Naruto with 6,874,840 copies, followed by Blue Exorcist's 5,223,712 copies.

From http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/one-piece-sells-record-38-million-manga-volumes-in-2011

Marvel and DC wish they had those numbers......

paw -  Marvel and DC wish they had those numbers......

Well, One Piece is better than anything they are putting out, so they can keep wishing. Surprised at 3rd place, I've read it, and it isn't very good.

Lymond - 
paw -  Marvel and DC wish they had those numbers......

Well, One Piece is better than anything they are putting out, so they can keep wishing. Surprised at 3rd place, I've read it, and it isn't very good.
lol

I agree with you about Blue Exorcist....I didn't think it was very good either.  Even so,  I presume Blue Exorcist crushes any numbers by DC or Marvel.

I STILL DON'T SEE WHY YOU GUYS LIKE THAT MANGA.

What don't you like about it? It is hilarious, surprisingly deep at times, and amazingly original. What's not to love?

WELL FOR ME.......THE ART THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORY LINE....

BIGWHITESEXY - WELL FOR ME.......THE ART THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORY LINE....

You've been on the GG a lot lately. Get too big to fit through the OG/GG portal?

BIGWHITESEXY - WELL FOR ME.......THE ART THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORY LINE....

How much of it have you actually read? I think the art is fantastic, unlike many manga it is easy to see what is going on, and the characters don't all look the same. The characters are funny as shit, imo. The story line... I really cannot fathom how anyone wouldn't like it, it is so damn original.

Luffy would ruin Mr. Fantastics day.

I don't read the manga, but the anime is one of my favorite tv shows of all time. It's been on for over 10 years, but it's still one of those shows where you just can't wait to see what will happen, but at the same time hope it never ends.

ITS TOO KIDDY FOR ME. ITS LIKE A SHITTIER VERSION OF PIRATES OF DARK WATER LOL.

I loved One Piece but for some reason can't get into the current Fishman island arc.  Too bad its been going on for the past few months.  Any end in sight? 

^Yeah, Fishman Island is ending now. Would expect this week to be the wrap up.

I can understand not getting into the FI arc, it followed the most epic shit ever.

BWS, Dark Water couldn't hold OP's jock. It is very childish at times, but that is just the surface, imho.

^ Thanks for the update.  I think I'll read the FI summary on the One Piece Wiki in anticipation of the arc's end.  Agreed about the letdown after the Marine War arc, I wanted to see some yonkou's or new World stuff not these lame giant fish people.

Good for Oda...One Piece is the most consistently satisfying manga/anime at the moment, and Im starting to think ever. Its really fantastic work Phone Post