ONE VP Ace Franklin Urges Easier Negotiations After Nogannou Fail

https://www.mmanews.com/news/rich-frankline-fighters-easier-work-with-francis-ngannou

1 Like

Rich Franklin feels the ONE roster should learn a valuable lesson after the promotion failed to come to terms with Francis Ngannou.

Ngannou remains an MMA free agent after ONE pulled out of contract talks in recent days. ONE CEO Chatri Sityodtong has claimed that he and Ngannou weren’t “aligned” on non-financial stipulations regarding a possible deal.

Ngannou remains in talks with the PFL and he could potentially end his free agency in the coming weeks. There’s no word yet on the status of negotiations between Ngannou and the PFL as of this writing.
Sityodtong has claimed that Ngannou demanded a lot during negotiations, including a spot on the promotion’s Board of Directors. Ngannou hasn’t commented on Sityodtong’s claims.

A three-hour meeting in Los Angeles resulted in no deal between Ngannou and ONE, and Franklin feels this is a clear message to ONE fighters to not push too hard for non-financial incentives.

Rich Franklin Advises ONE Fighters After Francis Ngannou Negotiations

During a recent interview with MMA journalist Helen Yee, Franklin gave his thoughts on the ONE/Ngannou deal falling short.

“I heard the news this morning, and surprised? I don’t know,” Franklin said. "When you’re negotiating with athletes, there’s a lot more that goes into it than just dollars…Chatri made the statement that it wasn’t a financially-related decision, so in my head, as a fan, I say ‘Well was it management or agency too difficult? Were there other demands?’…

“It’s just a reminder to athletes that you need to be a good fighter, put butts in seats… secondly, organizations are going to work with fighters who are easier to work with.”
Franklin enjoyed a long UFC career, and a good relationship with UFC President Dana White, during his time in the Octagon. He defeated Evan Tanner for the middleweight title at UFC 53 and defended it successfully twice.

Relations between White and Ngannou became so strained that White publically stated that the UFC would never sign Ngannou again after their tense contract
Franklin understands Ngannou’s firm stance on his ideals, but he feels it could result in more negative effects than positive ones as his free agency carries on.

1 Like

https://www.mmanews.com/news/chatri-sityodtong-one-board-seat-francis-ngannou

“He was asking for a seat at the board of directors, he was asking for him to determine his opponent’s pay,” Sityodtong revealed. "We offered him £16million ($20million) guaranteed, the money wasn’t enough, he wanted all of these other non-financial terms that didn’t make a lot of sense.

“We obviously can’t give a seat at the board of directors, that doesn’t make any sense, he would be a fish out of water [in that position].”

Francis is an idiot.

2 Likes