Open Carry Saturday at Starbucks?

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz says guns are no longer welcome in its stores but stopped short of introducing an outright ban on firearms.

NEW YORK — Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.

The fine line that the retailer is walking to address the concerns of both gun rights and gun control advocates reflects how heated the issue has become, particularly in light of recent mass shootings.

Most states allow people to openly carry licensed guns in some way and many companies do not have laws banning firearms in their stores. But Starbucks has become a target for gun control advocates, in part because of its liberal-leaning corporate image. In turn, gun rights advocates have been galvanized by the company's decision to defer to local laws.

In an interview, CEO Howard Schultz said the decision to ask customers to stop bringing guns into stores came as a result of the growing frequency of "Starbucks Appreciation Days," in which gun rights advocates turned up at Starbucks cafes with firearms.

Schultz said the events mischaracterized the company's stance on the issue and the demonstrations "have made our customers uncomfortable."

http://news.msn.com/us/starbucks-says-guns-unwelcome-but-not-banned

I never open carry but I am considering doing it on Saturday and getting a coffee at Starbucks.

This is all my fault. :(

Check and see if your state is a "force of law" state. In those states businesses have the right to place "No firearms" signs, and those signs are considered to have "the force of law."

AFAIK Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska,[56] Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin are Force of Law states, so carrying of any kind in a Starbucks in those states could get you arrested.

BTW, who buys coffee at Starbucks? It's way too expensive, and it taste like dirt.

phydeau - Check and see if your state is a "force of law" state. In those states businesses have the right to place "No firearms" signs, and those signs are considered to have "the force of law."

AFAIK Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska,[56] Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin are Force of Law states, so carrying of any kind in a Starbucks in those states could get you arrested.

BTW, who buys coffee at Starbucks? It's way too expensive, and it taste like dirt.

all the cool kids buy coffee at starbucks, duh.

You ain't cool unless some college hispter finds a way to misspell your name.

I am a gun nut deluxe but this Is stupid. starbucks is a provate business and they should have the right to refuse service to anyone they want. If starbucks hates gun owners and that pisses you off, just dont buy starbucks coffee. Phone Post

andre - This is all my fault. :(

The mean streets of Readondo beach are no place to be unarmed.

I'm more concerned about the coffee in gun stores Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 - 

Starbucks is a private corporation, they have just as much as much of a right to request that customers not bring firearms into their stores, as gun owners have a right to open carry where it is legal.

It is simply a request, not a ban of firearms in the stores.

If you don't like it then speak with your wallet.

So by that logic does Starbucks have the right to put up "No Blacks" signs, and say that it isn't a ban of black people but just a request?

If "requesting" that blacks not come in the store is both illegal and morally wrong (and I agree it would be) then asking gun owners to suspend their 2nd ammendment right to bear arms is ALSO both illegal and morally wrong.

Unless you live in a Force of Law state, in which case it is only morally wrong.

SJCOTTON - I'm more concerned about the coffee in gun stores Phone Post 3.0

I don't drink that shit.

I have no objection to stores refusing service to anyone they want. Even blacks. Why? Because if a store owner is stupid enough to ruin his business for his bigotry he doesnt deserve to be in business. He owns the store, its his right to run it into the ground however he sees fit. Phone Post

phydeau - 
Z NEDCMK1 - 

Starbucks is a private corporation, they have just as much as much of a right to request that customers not bring firearms into their stores, as gun owners have a right to open carry where it is legal.

It is simply a request, not a ban of firearms in the stores.

If you don't like it then speak with your wallet.

So by that logic does Starbucks have the right to put up "No Blacks" signs, and say that it isn't a ban of black people but just a request?

If "requesting" that blacks not come in the store is both illegal and morally wrong (and I agree it would be) then asking gun owners to suspend their 2nd ammendment right to bear arms is ALSO both illegal and morally wrong.

Unless you live in a Force of Law state, in which case it is only morally wrong.

SBUX is publicly traded, so i guess it would be up to its shareholders and board of directors to approve of such "requests"

hypothetically, if such a "request" of no black people were approved by SBUX, im pretty certain they would not be breaking any laws...although i do know there are laws pertaining to discriminatory hiring practices....

however sbux would have to deal with inevitable backlash

I don't drink Starbucks but think this would be fun. Phone Post

So gi and blue belt is ok?

"I am a gun nut deluxe but this Is stupid. starbucks is a provate business and they should have the right to refuse service to anyone they want. If starbucks hates gun owners and that pisses you off, just dont buy starbucks coffee."

This times a million. You want your gun rights but wanna take away his rights as a private business owner? Makes a lot of sense.... Phone Post 3.0