Opinions on static contraction?

For gaining mass and strength...?

TTT

Here's a URL:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/steh4.htm

PS, this is because it seems to be absolute bullshit.

I've also been interested in SCT for a while. Has anybody tried it?

I didn;t read the link but it's useful as a training aid for augmenting strength in specific ranges of motion, but it doesn't do much for stimulating hypertrophy.

Adam,

fwiw, When I studied kung fu years ago, my coach was huge on static contraction/dynamic tension.

I think they do have an effect. but limited.

Kung fu guy Harry Wong promoted a type of dynamic tension/isometric training in his "Dynamic Strength" book.

If Wong's physique as pictured on the cover is any indication, it seems to give good results.

So an L-sit on rings has no strength carryover? Planches, front levers, all static.

I'm guessing you mean with more conventional movements.

C

what about holding say guillotines, rear chokes, triangles, collar chokes, on a grappling dummy... would this be a useful endeavour considering how specific it is or would you be better of taking the muscles through a range of motion? both perhaps?

What's so funny about Wong, KKM?

I did it for almost a year about 8 years ago.

Got some results but you'll quickly build up to poundages that your joints won't be able to handle during the partial and static reps.

I'd stay away, there's plenty of other training programs that work much better.

A client gave me a Anthony Robbins video which included an interview
with these two "scientists" who claim that static contaction training is
the ultimate way to build strength and mass. They claimed that
through this type of training you can cut down to 2-3 minutes of
training per month!
They start by saying that Force is the ultimate requirement of strength
gain, hmmmm let's see, F=ma, that is force is equal to mass times
acceleration, zero acceleration in a static lift.........

Isometric training as I always thought of it, has a carry over within five
degrees of the joint angle trained. I believe some use it for
strengthening weaknesses in certain joint angles especially for
rehabilitation.

edited to replace percent with degrees

To start, i didnt read the link.

Isometric training is both useful and effective.

Of course, like everything else in the world of strength and conditioning, there's a big "BUT..."

As Karelinfan said, isometric training develops the most strength close to joint angle you are working with. In much of my BJJ game, for example, my biceps are operating isometrically to hold my opponent down. As a training aid, i walk with weights in my arms, or perform Zercher squats to mimick this effect. Works very well, and you can handle significantly heavier loads then during isotonic contractions.

As far as hypertrophy is concerned, isometrics have the advantage of a greater load. I can farmer's walk with more weight then i can shrug, and i can squat or dead a hell of a lot more weight then i can just extending and flexing my lower back. In both of these examples you can see very common and significant hypertrophy from isometric contraction. The muscles in question here, are particularly suited for that role as well (which helps).

In any case, this sort of training is but another flavor of the many in conditioning. Use it, but dont abuse it, just like every other damn thing.

-doug-

As one component of training, static contractions can be very useful.

There is a difference in static contraction training with weights and pure isometric training. One can increase the load with SCT and monitor progress directly with load and TUT (time under tension). In pure isometrics, there is no way to measure the output or overload.

TAKU.