Opioid damages cost J&J $572 million

Brockback Mountain - 
MojoSoDope - 
Soup and Beer -
Brockback Mountain - Wahhh I cant handle a prescription drug.

Fuck off with this opioid crisis shit.

I don't know if I would dismiss it that easily.  In the early 2000's I was prescribed oxy for a prolonged bout of kidney stones.  I really didn't know much about it and just trusted the doc.  I started to experience bad symptoms from it and I asked my doctor about the dangers of oxy.  He dismissed my concerns and said if I need it I need it and not to worry about it.   I got off of them on my own and the withdrawals were worse than the kidney stones.

"Let the buyer beware" should be a motto that applies to used cars, not medicine.

I've seen people go from hurting their back and getting meds from the doc to losing everything in their life and being a slave to heroin. It's a slippery slope if you get to a certain point.

I had a small surgery, got opioids for the pain to help sleep.

Took them until my neck felt better and then stopped taking them. Worked great.

I Didnt even suck one dick for opiods.

Sounds like you missed out on the best part!

Burt Reynoldz -
KBird - 
jake11 - 

Sad thing is that the ones who should be punished are the politicians and lobbyists.  They are the ones with real blood on their hands but will never be held accountable 

But there isn't much of a division among those groups. The pharma companies pay the lobbyists, the lobbyists practically write the laws, the politicians go to work for the pharma and/or lobby firms, and the revolving door just continues with the same assholes getting more and more money.

So, it's all the same people with blood on their hands...

It's their fault the same way mass shootings are the blame of gun manufacturers.

Just because dumb fucks abuse the product you make doesn't make it their fault when someone gets hurt. Personal responsibility has to come in somewhere.

Those two horrible horrible words. Personal responsibility.

Good luck peddling that anywhere. People don't like it.

I'll say this...

Addiction runs in my family. My mother was a drunk pillhead and so were all her sisters. I've got it in me same as them. But I'm not an addict despite having been on multiple extended opiate scripts over the years. Why am I not an addict... because those scripts have warnings on every single bag and bottle. And even when suffering through extended chronic pain, I took days off. I ate the pain because addiction is far worse and longer lasting. I still get prescribed opiates from time to time, two three times a year. But I'll never be an addict because I hold myself accountable for the shit that goes in my body.

1 Like

i had a friend od on these. 

Without regard to my personal experience, they should have given the whole 17b to the plaintiff.

You only have to bankrupt these companies, doctors and the  opioid family once to send a warning to everyone else.

Literally millions of people have died from this. 

the government approved it, big pharma sold it, and the doctors prescribed it and in many cases abused their authority.

It may be the greatest travesty perpetuated on the american people in history by a large order of magnitude.

Bankrupt them all. Prosecute them. 

500m is a slap on the wrist. The judges are in on it. The whole thing works against you folks. you dont have a chance

1 Like

What exactly did J&J do wrong? If drugs were being pushed on patients unnecessarily, that's on the doctors, not the drug companies.

Soup and Beer -

I don't know if I would dismiss it that easily.  In the early 2000's I was prescribed oxy for a prolonged bout of kidney stones.  I really didn't know much about it and just trusted the doc.  I started to experience bad symptoms from it and I asked my doctor about the dangers of oxy.  He dismissed my concerns and said if I need it I need it and not to worry about it.   I got off of them on my own and the withdrawals were worse than the kidney stones.

"Let the buyer beware" should be a motto that applies to used cars, not medicine.

These days every single bottle from a pharmacy counter has multiple pages of drug info and warnings about addiction when applicable. Opiates, benzos, the whole nine.

Wasn't always the case. I also remember early 00s getting percocet in a plain brown bag from the pharmacy. But that issue has since been addressed.

Not sure what the impact of this will be, it's a county district court?

I've been prescribed Percocet after 2 separate surgeries, one of which was a full laparotomy to resect 31 inches of my bowels.

I've still never taken a percocet. I can't believe anyone takes that shit.

they actually have doctors on tape telling promoting these pills as safe and non addictive. 

the actual deaths are very under reported as many people die due to complications of the drugs, not from an actual OD.

Big pharma educated the doctors and incentivized them to sell them

I wonder how many homeless became homeless because of it, in addition to the millions of deaths.

They want to ban semi auto rifles over a few hundred deaths a year but somehow this flew under the radar for more than a decade? 

Fuck em

MayorPirkle -

I've been prescribed Percocet after 2 separate surgeries, one of which was a full laparotomy to resect 31 inches of my bowels.

took a percocet years ago for a minor surgery. After the second one threw them in the trash.

The devils brew

BZtown10 -

So you guys think it should be ok for j&j to lie and mislead the public about the dangers that they KNEW of about their product? 

Not at all.  I'd be surprised if they were able to get away with this under the FDA, though.  Seems like a series of events like that would have blown up almost immediately.

Soul Gravy - What exactly did J&J do wrong? If drugs were being pushed on patients unnecessarily, that's on the doctors, not the drug companies.

Sadly, the drug companies educate all the doctors. Drug companies fund all the research, and docs study that research. Both groups are to blame for over prescribing these drugs. Patients also have blame in this. 

Burt Reynoldz -
KBird - 
jake11 - 

Sad thing is that the ones who should be punished are the politicians and lobbyists.  They are the ones with real blood on their hands but will never be held accountable 

But there isn't much of a division among those groups. The pharma companies pay the lobbyists, the lobbyists practically write the laws, the politicians go to work for the pharma and/or lobby firms, and the revolving door just continues with the same assholes getting more and more money.

So, it's all the same people with blood on their hands...

It's their fault the same way mass shootings are the blame of gun manufacturers.

Just because dumb fucks abuse the product you make doesn't make it their fault when someone gets hurt. Personal responsibility has to come in somewhere.

false equivalency. guns are not physically addictive.

you don't sudden start to want to shoot just by touching it. 

MayorPirkle - 

yeah I have a few leftover from wisdom teeth surgery and never understood why people would want to take those. Just keep em around in case I randomly sprain my ankle or some shit, although they're probably expired at this point.

Now one time I tried roxicet a decade ago and can definitely see how people get addicted to that, has to be a similar feeling to heroin.

Fair finding, J&J should have some sizable responsibility. The junkies should too though, but as far as I see it, they are already paying for it (and have been for years).

The other states should get their chances also. Very dangerous drugs, and J&J didn't do due diligence. This does NOT clear the users of wrongdoing, it's just that both parties are at fault for the crisis.

For those that still have pills rolling around, get rid of that shit. Dangerous to keep around.

Brockback Mountain -
MojoSoDope - 
Soup and Beer -

I've seen people go from hurting their back and getting meds from the doc to losing everything in their life and being a slave to heroin. It's a slippery slope if you get to a certain point.

But just for the love of the game

The amount of addicts that got prescribed pills because of an injury is exaggerated I think . Most junkies I know were addicted to other drugs before going off the deep end 

The addiction came as a result of not taking as prescribed. Just another bullshit way of excusing addicts for there own weak personal behavior. 

Altofsky - 
Soup and Beer -

These days every single bottle from a pharmacy counter has multiple pages of drug info and warnings about addiction when applicable. Opiates, benzos, the whole nine.

Wasn't always the case. I also remember early 00s getting percocet in a plain brown bag from the pharmacy. But that issue has since been addressed.

I understand that but there was a time where you trusted your doctor and went with whatever he thought was best.  I've since learned that you have to do your own research.  Which is sad because that is what you are paying them for.  They went to school for 8 years.  You would think they would know more than what a regular patient can find on the internet in 30 seconds.  But apparently not.

Another example is dealing with my elderly mom.  She was getting out of breath to the point she couldn't walk down the driveway without being severly winded.  She had been to two doctors and after a battery of tests they did not have a clue. She was on the verge of checking herself into a nursing home.  Then there was a thread one day here about how bad beta blockers were for your endurance.   It dawned on me to check her medication and I found she was taking one.  I got her doctor to ween her off of it and she was fine after that.  Apparently neither doctor had even bothered to check her symptoms against the side effects of her presrciption medication.  A random thread on the OG gave me the solution to her problem where two qualified physicians were dumbfounded as to the answer.  That shows they were either incompetant, or indifferent.

Soul Gravy - What exactly did J&J do wrong? If drugs were being pushed on patients unnecessarily, that's on the doctors, not the drug companies.

It's not 100% on the doctors if J&J was paying/incentivizing doctors to prescribe them. They do it with plenty of drugs but opioids were a huge money maker.

BUT, i agree that docs should be somewhat to blame. When do you start questioning how much you're prescribing? Sure, a few overzealous docs are in jail, but only those that were blatantly doing something illegal (eg prescriging hundreds - thousands of pills a month to the same people).

Brockback Mountain -
MojoSoDope - 
Soup and Beer -

That's some solid science