Opposing views on UFC class-action suit

Here's a real simple breakdown of the opposing views regarding this law suit.

Group A:  Zuffa fans and Dana White fans that think the fighters are "lucky to get what they get"

Group B:  MMA fans that have seen fighters treated like shit by Zuffa for far too long

I work in a company that did a Xmas bonus for 5 years in a row (a very nice bonus %) and did not do it last year.

It was fucking unreal. People went fucking apeshit, I don't know how many people said "I already spent the money, what am I supposed to do now?"

We don't have guarantees, the employer did it as a "bonus." If they had not given the bonus for 5 years, and once again did not last year there would have been no fucking outcry at all.

I believe a lot of mid-card or lower tier fighters are underpaid. I don't think they're underpaid by as much as they say they are though.

I hope the suit means more fighters can make a living off this profession, and more athletes are attracted to entertaining me.

But I think Jimmos argument about the seats is stupid, as are a lot of the other complaints. There are some issues, but there are also a lot of "I just wish I had more $$" whether it's justified or not.

12SixElbow -
BLPorritt - 
BLPorritt -
12SixElbow - 1. Jimmo has only been with the UFC since 2013. So I'm unsure where he got the 3 years from.

2. Since February 16, 2013 Ryan Jimmo foought 5x.

3. Since February 16, 2013, Ryan Jimmo has made 6k (Te Huna), 12k (pokrajak), 6k (Manuwa), 66k (oConnell), 8k (OSP).

That's 98K in 18 months for a guy who is 2-3 in the UFC.

PLUS free seats. The UFC has 400+ guys on the payroll, not everyone can sit ringside.
You forgot Anthony Perosh Phone Post 3.0
His debut in 2012. Phone Post 3.0

Well fuck, My bad! lol

It's ok I still love ya Phone Post 3.0

I was lucky enough to sit 4th row for Bones Belfort courtesy of Dana and the UG, and this was my experience:

Fighters that were sat around me and my area:

Rory, Stout, Royce, Cain, DC, Rousey (I think, blurry on this one)

Fighters that were not sat around me and my area:

Ryan Jimmo Phone Post 3.0

MMALOGIC - 

if it's bad pay dont do it...  at what point are fighters going take responsibility for the agreements they enter into? 

you cant enter an agreement and then after the fact say,... shit you have to pay me more.

Imagine if you made an agreement with your plumber and after he does the work he wants more money.  YOu negotiate that first.... you dont just make an agreement and then come back demanding more money.

you get free tickets and you complain about your seats...

The fact is life sometimes sucks for people and the easy thing to is blame someone else for it.

The germans did it to the jews and now people are doing it to the UFC.

I'll just post what Prof. Zev Eigen told me

"Its just a silly thing to say to observe someone getting a bad deal and saying they must love it. It is true that employees will tolerate a bad deal because it is better than the alternative. For example, what if someone offered you the choice of getting beaten 100 times or getting beaten 50 times? If I only observed you making the choice to get beaten 50 times without observing you turning down the alternative choice of getting beaten 100 times, I might wrongly conclude that you love getting beaten. I know it's kind of a ridiculous example, but the point is, when you observe someone taking a bad deal you can't always say 'Well if they are taking that deal they must be happy.' Not true. You have to compare it to their alternative to the exchange. If the alternative to exchange for most fighters is no better than what they are currently getting, then what is their choice?"

I Wild Each It -

Group A:  Zuffa fans and Dana White fans that think the fighters are "lucky to get what they get"

Group B:  MMA fans that have seen fighters treated like shit by Zuffa for far too long

Man, you kind of ignored a whole other very important group.

Group C: the ones who have seen fighters not treated nearly as well as they could and should be by zuffa for way too long but are still rational and intelligent enough to see that this lawsuit as it was presented and stands is silly and that there are certainly better ways to go about this process of attempted change. Phone Post 3.0

MMALOGIC -

if it's bad pay dont do it...  at what point are fighters going take responsibility for the agreements they enter into? 

you cant enter an agreement and then after the fact say,... shit you have to pay me more.

Imagine if you made an agreement with your plumber and after he does the work he wants more money.  YOu negotiate that first.... you dont just make an agreement and then come back demanding more money.

you get free tickets and you complain about your seats...

The fact is life sometimes sucks for people and the easy thing to is blame someone else for it.

The germans did it to the jews and now people are doing it to the UFC.

While I kinda agree with with what your saying but lol at the Germans and Jews bit. Like they are at all similar. Phone Post 3.0

Steven McTowelie -
I Wild Each It -

Group C: the ones who have seen fighters not treated nearly as well as they could and should be by zuffa for way too long but are still rational and intelligent enough to see that this lawsuit as it was presented and stands is silly and that there are certainly better ways to go about this process of attempted change. Phone Post 3.0
This, I feel the lawsuit is stupid, but if it somehow increases pay for anyone but lawyers (like the fighters) I will be happy with it. Phone Post 3.0

Steven McTowelie - 
I Wild Each It -

Please enlighten me on these better ways of going about this, because this shits been going on for years without Zuffa acknowleding better treatment of the fighters in needed.  And when I say this, I mean Zuffa restructuring contracts, increasing pay, compensating fighters for the rights to their likeness, etc, etc, etc.  Please outline a more constructive plan that guarantees Zuffa's willingess to comply with the fighters requests.

MMASucka -
Wee Bey Jr - I bet he had his binoculars on Dana, and when he tried calling to see what the deal was he saw Dana screen his call. That's why he's heated. Phone Post 3.0
Did you not read the article? He doesn't even have Dana's phone number to make that complaint. Phone Post 3.0
Yea don't worry, I skimmed it. Phone Post 3.0

I Wild Each It -
Steven McTowelie - 
I Wild Each It -

Please enlighten me on these better ways of going about this, because this shits been going on for years without Zuffa acknowleding better treatment of the fighters in needed.  And when I say this, I mean Zuffa restructuring contracts, increasing pay, compensating fighters for the rights to their likeness, etc, etc, etc.  Please outline a more constructive plan that guarantees Zuffa's willingess to comply with the fighters requests.

I tired. 3 times. It was long and wouldn't post.

Maybe one more attempt. Phone Post 3.0

This app can suck my balls. Last try, splitting up.

Part 1:

Well, I am not a lawyer, though I do know many, work with some, am friends with some, have been drunk with some, and even went on a date with one once.

Firstly I would probably say build a better and more focused case that's more winnable as opposed to suing over Dana White tweets and him bragging about the failure of other, poorly managed businesses.

And get some better reps first than those three.

No offence, but Quarry is nobody. I like the guy and all, he's nice and has a good story, but he was given a huge push on tuf despite being hurt, was later gifted a title shot and had the ufc pay for his injuries. That his career ultimately was less than he hopes is on him. Phone Post 3.0

Part 2:

Cung Le is just bitter about the drug test. He made bank with ufc and is really just a speck in the ufc machine and obviously not overly relevant in this; especially when he made a good career at the competition (this is supposed to be an antitrust suit).

Jon Fitch also just bitter and irrelevant in ufc terms these days. To compare to almighty NFL, he is a kicker. He was consistent, damn good, and got wins, but nobody gets that excited over a kicker. He got his super bowl with GSP and missed bad. Then he missed against Hendricks as well. When that happens in the NFL, kickers get cut. It sucks, but it's life, and there was no obligation to keep Fitch around, especially when he had more boring fights than not. And if I recall correctly, he was paid pretty well in his day. Yes it could always be more but he did well relative to peers at the time.

TL;DR Build a stronger case first, get some bigger and more relevant representatives.

All I got for now, sorry. Phone Post 3.0

Steven McTowelie - Lol @ Jimmo and his ridiculous sense of entitlement!

Fuck off Jimmo!

"This free gift you've given me isn't good enough!" Phone Post 3.0

You're a real cunt...you know that don't you?

Steven McTowelie - Part 2:

Cung Le is just bitter about the drug test. He made bank with ufc and is really just a speck in the ufc machine and obviously not overly relevant in this; especially when he made a good career at the competition (this is supposed to be an antitrust suit).

Jon Fitch also just bitter and irrelevant in ufc terms these days. To compare to almighty NFL, he is a kicker. He was consistent, damn good, and got wins, but nobody gets that excited over a kicker. He got his super bowl with GSP and missed bad. Then he missed against Hendricks as well. When that happens in the NFL, kickers get cut. It sucks, but it's life, and there was no obligation to keep Fitch around, especially when he had more boring fights than not. And if I recall correctly, he was paid pretty well in his day. Yes it could always be more but he did well relative to peers at the time.

TL;DR Build a stronger case first, get some bigger and more relevant representatives.

All I got for now, sorry. Phone Post 3.0

LOL.  So basically, you're answer is a lawsuit as well?   You just think the lawsuit needs to be presented better or more winnable.  Well I agree with you that a lawsuit is the only thing that will force Zuffa to change. 

I think what yourself and others need to keep in mind is, the claims and information included in the filing is just what the attorneys felt was enough to get the case approved to move forward and classified, so it can go to discovery.  And this team is attorneys is one of the best teams assembled, in terms of successfully winning class action cases against companies much larger than Zuffa (Apple, Google, Adobe, and Intel to name a few).  And once it goes to discovery, Zuffa will be forced to share/open their books, which is when shit is going to get more real than anyone can imagine. 

Secondly, the three fighters in the filing were simply all that were needed to file the case, and the only priority right now is to get it filed.  Now that is filed, I think everyone should and can expect a shitload more to come forward and join the suit.  Before this thing is all said and done, there will be dozens, if not hundreds of fighters associated with this suit...not just Le, Fitch, and Quarry.

If this were my business, and this will probably not be of popular opinion, I would reduce my workforce and pay the fighters that were on the roster more. An employer employee relationship is based on what you can do for each other. It seems a lot of fighters don't view it that way, like a partnership... The UFC as well for that matter. It's a very "what have you done for me lately?" mindset. I believe the lawsuit mentioned $500M in revenue and of course that's gross revenue or net estimate bc Zuffa doesn't release their financials. That has to account for the pay and setup of all workers and every event. Fighters are not the only people paid by the UFC and the tough one is budget for business development and expansion. If anyone believes that it might only cost 5M/yr per country to set this stuff up, I would imagine that number is way off. I wouldn't be surprised if 20-40% of that revenue was to sustain current business and expand business operations. These are all assumptions and I really have no idea. I am excited to hear about their books for selfish reasons if it comes to that.

Steven McTowelie - I was lucky enough to sit 4th row for Bones Belfort courtesy of Dana and the UG, and this was my experience:

Fighters that were sat around me and my area:

Rory, Stout, Royce, Cain, DC, Rousey (I think, blurry on this one)

Fighters that were not sat around me and my area:

Ryan Jimmo Phone Post 3.0

Zing!

Ippwnage -
shaqitup - 
Gilkuja - 
MisterHawkeMMA -

Just lost ALL respect for Jimmo. Not for his opinion on being underpaid, who doesn't feel underpaid at their job. But how fucking entitled do you have to feel to publicly diss someone for giving your free tickets not close enough to the cage? Bitch, you got paid a BONUS for your KO of the knight performances. A BONUS! And you got the nerve to bitch about not liking the gift they gave you. How about giving those tickets away to someone like me who would've LOVED to just be in that building on either of those nights? 

What happened to the real fighters? The guys that were going out there putting their lives on the line before there was even any money or fame in the sport. I've never appreciated Josh Barnett as much as I do now. Now you got guys like Leben bitching about blowing his million dollars made on booze and hookers. And guys like Jimmo complaining about their free seats being too far from the cage. Go work at McDonalds and complain about the free value meal they give you not being super sized, bet you get your dumb ass fired. No one forced you to do this for a living. 

Lol pretty much this. Phone Post 3.0

Why don't they try to get their fighters decent seats and show them during the event, you know make their name more familiar, help boost their stock within your company.

Then you have Joe Rogan handing out floor tickets to his buddies so they can smoke weed and trip on acid while watching the fights.

Not saying Joe shouldn't be able to get the tickets, but you'd expect fighters to get some semi decent seats

yeah, and maybe get a lady boy to suck their dick at the same time

the entitled generation.
I'd be happy with just the ladyboy. Entitled indeed. Phone Post 3.0

I Wild Each It -

That is far from accurate. there is a huge middle ground where most are. The problem is people like you resort to childish comments and it starts an argument that you essentially respond with Shill type comments.

The middle ground is people hope for increase in fighter pay but do not see it coming from this. Also see many of the points brought up (not all) as petty and childish (dana says mean things being proof of a monopoly/monopsony).

The real problem with fighter pay starts at the regional level. And secondly with the managers. If fighters made more at a regional level (where they fight more often) they wouldn't rush to make 8/8 to fight an avg of kess than 2x per year. This would also increase their brand worth and they wouldn't NEED to take the low starting pay offered by the UFC/Bellator/WSOF.

The managers do a terrible job or promoting their fighters period. They value the "3 letters" so much they banking it can lead to more sponsor money. The issue is their fighters are only in the cage 2 times per year on avg (less obviously) so why are they not getting them deals outside of the cage?

The UFC should 100% pay more but that goes for every promotion out there. However none of them HAVE to just because they can. It is and always has been up to the fighters and their managers to get the fighters more money.

I'll give you an example, Holly Holm. She didn't take the first offers presented by the UFC because as her manager put it, it was less than she makes fighting regional. She had a name outside of the UFC (regardless if it started outside of MMA) and she didn't rush to the UFC because it was the UFC. These fighters need to get managers who are paying attention to what others are doing. Follow suit. Do what Gilber did. Make the UFC match what others are willing to pay. Shop around before fighting for "cheap". And you so called fans, instead of only bitching about the UFC go support whatever the fighters are doing. If a fighter is sponsored by someone, by their shit! Let them know you bought because X fighter was sponsored. Instead of making fun of shitty looking T shirts, buy those bitches if it has a fighters name on it! Go to their appearances and tell people to go! We have a say in what fighters make, low viewership in any promotion hurts fighter pay. So if there is MMA on TV, watch it if you can and get others to watch too. Skip the UFC but don't skip the rest! Phone Post 3.0

I Wild Each It - 

This kind of thinking encapsulates one of the stupidest things about this forum: you're either a shill or not a shill, whether it's for or against the UFC. There's no middle-ground, no gray areas. If you disagree with the lawsuit, you're a Zuffa shill with Dana White posters on your wall; if you're for the lawsuit, you're a true MMA fan fighting for the respect and rights of the little guy.

People that perpetuate this type of environment continue to ruin and push out meaningful, fun, and intelligent discussions about all things MMA in this forum.