Orcas killing Great White Sharks..eat their livers

RIP GW dolphins

Are orcas killing great white sharks for their livers? Experts stunned

Great white sharks are being killed in disturbing fashion off South Africa, and experts are helpless to prevent further assaults.

That’s because orcas are believed responsible for the killings. At least three white shark carcasses have washed ashore recently with similar injuries, each with its liver removed.

This bizarre predatory pattern is unprecedented in South Africa, and many hope it’ll be short-lived. White sharks are vulnerable from a conservation standpoint, and immensely valuable as tourist attractions.

“Obviously this is a very sad time for us all,” Alison Towner, a biologist with the Dyer Island Conservation Trust, stated Sunday after the third carcass was discovered near Gansaabi. “Nature can be so cruel and the dexterity these enormous animals are capable of is mind blowing… almost surgical precision as they remove the squalene-rich liver of the white sharks and dump their carcass.”

Gansaabi is one of the world’s premiere shark-diving destinations. White sharks generate millions in tourism revenue, but the presence of orcas appears to have frightened the sharks away.

Marine Dynamics, a commercial cage-diving company that also cooperates in white shark research, stated Sunday that its vessel, Slashfin, came up empty in a daylong search. Other companies have likewise complained about the unusual phenomenon.

Though there have been mysterious white shark deaths in the past, they were not confirmed to have been caused by orcas.

Stated Towner, the marine biologist, on Facebook: “It’s a very interesting time. The last white shark washed up here on the 8th of February and the cage-diving boats struggled to see any sharks for almost two weeks. Unfortunately the cage-diving boats all came home after seeing no sharks again today.”

Orcas, or killer whales, are highly efficient predators who hunt with the precise cooperation of pod members. They do not typically hunt white sharks, presumably because there sharks do not possess a calorie-rich blubber layer.

But sharks do possess large iron-rich livers. (The orcas also removed the heart of at least one of the tree mutilated white sharks.)

To draw a parallel, transient orcas are currently preying on gray whale calves off the California port of Monterey. The killer whales drown the babies after separating them from their mothers, often after an agonizing struggle. The calves are rich in fat, but the orcas often remove the tongue before dining on blubber.

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/orcas-killing-great-white-sharks-livers-experts-stunned/#5X64RVEumqXx1pay.97

TTT

sometimes you are in the mood for some liver.

Probably the Chinese.

This answers my childhood question of who would win, Orca or Jaws?

scourge - This answers my childhood question of who would win, Orca or Jaws?
I'd like to see 1 x Orca vs 1 x 6 metre Jaws fight.

Do they eat it with some Fava beans and a nice chianti?

Orca would still win. They are much smarter. I saw a whole show on them eating shark livers. Apparently they've figured out a way to paralyze the sharks. They come up under them and hit them in the perfect spot to paralyze the shark. Then it's liver eating time.

Sharks react instinctively. Orcas are smart. No contest.

opieandjimmy - ... Waiting for him.....

LOL. Me too.

It wasn't  an Orcus. It was Antifa. Being a Great White Shark is fascist. 

scourge - Orca would still win. They are much smarter. I saw a whole show on them eating shark livers. Apparently they've figured out a way to paralyze the sharks. They come up under them and hit them in the perfect spot to paralyze the shark. Then it's liver eating time.

They use tandem attacks to turn the sharks upside down causing tonic immobility, and then fest on the liver while the shark is alive for the moment. I have also seen video of the ramming and then turning them over to ensure the sharks don't wake up mid-meal. 

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I just looked on Google and they said the orca hold the sharks upside down until they essentially get paralyzed. Then they eat their liver.

Oops. Sak's ear beat me to it.

Orcas are a lot bigger than sharks and much smarter.  People forget or don't realize that Orca's aren't whales, they're giant dolphins.

scourge - Orca would still win. They are much smarter. I saw a whole show on them eating shark livers. Apparently they've figured out a way to paralyze the sharks. They come up under them and hit them in the perfect spot to paralyze the shark. Then it's liver eating time.
They also are able to grab the sharks and turn them upside down which, for whatever reason renders the sharks motionless on their backs.

Orcas are ridiculously smart and they use a wide range of methods for killing their prey.

scourge - Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I just looked on Google and they said the orca hold the sharks upside down until they essentially get paralyzed. Then they eat their liver.
Shoulda scrolled down a little more to see this post.

GREAT! Being a surfer, I've always hated the baiting of large killer sharks to come in close to and start to associate people with food.

goood fuck them!