Organic food... Better?

Or just a bull$hit marketing ploy?

Some of it is better, most of it now is a marketing ploy.

From what I've read, it helps on fruits like apples which for whatever reason absorb or retain more pesticides.  But other than that I don't think there is any point to it.  But going organic leads to more opportunities to pick up hippy chicks at the farmers market.

4 later Phone Post 3.0

The most important things to buy organic are milk, meat, leafy greens, apples and berries from what I understand.

Really the thing to do instead of going to say walmart and buying organic food, is to go to a farmers market near you and chat up the farmers about their practices.

There are lots of shitty "certified organic" farmers and lots of terrific "certified non-organic" farmers.

Ben Miller - Or just a bull$hit marketing ploy?
Better, as in, tastes better? Probably not, no.

Better, as in, better for you? Yeah, probably so. Less pesticide residue on organic and recent research indicates that organic produce is more vitamin and nutrient-rich in comparison to their non-organic counterparts. Phone Post 3.0

The FDA's organic label are somewhat bullshit especially in certain categories like raising chickens, for instance the chicken can live in a dark cramped space and all the the farmer has to do is provide a door to a tiny outdoor area in which the chickens will probably never see and they can get a free range label.

If your interested check out the book omnivore's dilemma Phone Post 3.0

Mica Kizbig - The most important things to buy organic are milk, meat, leafy greens, apples and berries from what I understand.

Sounds like everything to me.

I like a little poison in my steak thank you very much.

I personally think grass fed beef is worth it. Phone Post 3.0

Plus, you get an extra serving of smug whenever you buy organics.

Kazp306 - Hell yeah, tomatoes and bananas are both noticibly better imo. Phone Post 3.0

Actually, bananas are one of the few produce foods which buying organic is just a waste of money. The thick peel of the banana absorbs any pesticides and none of those actually get through to the edible part of the banana itself.

Kazp306 -
MushroomHead -
Kazp306 - Hell yeah, tomatoes and bananas are both noticibly better imo. Phone Post 3.0

Actually, bananas are one of the few produce foods which buying organic is just a waste of money. The thick peel of the banana absorbs any pesticides and none of those actually get through to the edible part of the banana itself.
Its still two different seeds though. Go try an organic banana, they're fluffier and lighter. At least the several that ive tried. Phone Post 3.0
Hm, I dunno. When I got into eating healthy I was eating organic bananas almost daily for 4-5 months until I read that about non-organic bananas and started buying those. Can't say I noticed any difference. Next time I go to the grocery store I'll buy a few of each and experiment. Phone Post 3.0