Ortega/Yair set for July 16 on Long Island

Brian Ortega will make his return against Yair Rodriguez on July 16th. It’s no ordinary fight, however. Ortega and Rodriguez will run it in a 5-round main event in Long Island, New York. The UFC announced the matchup on Thursday.

3 Likes

Ortega by sub

1 Like

I also believe T-City wins it. Sub sounds like a distinct possibility, but a 5-round war could also lie ahead.

2 Likes

We’ve got enough Mexicans. GTFO

2 Likes

One would think SoCal wouldve been a better location for the event

4 Likes

Or Mexico!

3 Likes

Or Carson City Airport with Cyrus The Virus as guest referee

4 Likes

Oh shit a ConAir reference!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Would love to see Yair win this. I love his style.

2 Likes

Ortega by Heart of a Lion via Modelo…RD1

Thats the fighting spirit

2 Likes

Studying Cobra Kai GIF by NETFLIX

Agreed, dude was in a war with Holloway coming off a 2 year layoff. Dana tanked his momentum after their spat that saw Yair released for a week, hoping he stays active and gets a shot at the title

I’m just happy I get to see one of these queers lose

2 Likes

Probably will be a draw now.

1 Like

Ortega going full retard again and will strike with a striker and abandon his BJJ

I am not sure this is a fair assessment. He is an opportunistic submission grappler who cant wrestle. And he decided to work on his standup as opposed to his wrestling. Which the strategy is debatable whether its the wise move with Holloway and Volkanovski at the top of the division.

But he doesnt abandon BJJ, he just cant get it there. His attempts at Volk was from a knockdown/psuhdown, his sub of Moicano was from Moicano’s shot, his sub of Swanson was from clinch.

1 Like

You don’t need elite or even great wrestling to utilize your BJJ when you are as good as he is.

Having a solid clinch and constant forward pressure will make guys back up to avoid getting taken down at all costs and eventually make them tired and then open up the striking game. His striking is good enough to hang on the feet, but not good enough to fight a pure stand up fight, which is what he always does.

A perfect example is Charles Oliveira. He isn’t necessarily good at wrestling, but his forward pressure and clinch game is more than enough to get people down eventually. And Ortega has proven he can take a shot and has the cardio to last, even when he’s getting the crap beat out of him.

Olivieira is a good wrestler.

And off the top of my head, it feels like Charles submits guys as he is winning. It comes from dominance. As opposed to Ortega who has several submissions while losing the fight, in fact many in the third round. If Charles was a vicious GnPer he would probably have the similar wins as he does as a venomous BJJer. Whereas its not the same for Ortega who needs BJJ to pull out wins.

I will say, the BJJ of Charles helps buy himself time when he gets hurt standing and flops to his back.

1 Like