OSP did 2 Rua what Rua did 2 Chuck that told us...

Liddell's career was no doubt over. Got caught by a looping left hook, have no chin left, and be finished way early.

Liddell lost 5 of his last 6 before retiring.

Rua has lost 4 of his last 5.

Please don't tell me he is going to continue for another fight or two like Chuck did.

Shogun is one of my all time favs, which is why I am begging him to hang it up. I want him to be able to remember the good times and his prime in 20 years - not be some half brain dead, drooling guy in a hospital bed.

It's up to him. It's his choice to hang em up. If I were him I would, but I'm not. No one is telling you to retire.

thestoebz - It's up to him. It's his choice to hang em up. If I were him I would, but I'm not. No one is telling you to retire.

Yeah, but if I stick around too long in my job, I'll just end up binge an annoying old fart that half-asses it. It won't potentially result in me having to rely on a feeding tube or having CTE by the time I'm 50. I'm genuinely concerned for the guy at this point.

Thingading - 
thestoebz - It's up to him. It's his choice to hang em up. If I were him I would, but I'm not. No one is telling you to retire.

Yeah, but if I stick around too long in my job, I'll just end up binge an annoying old fart that half-asses it. It won't potentially result in me having to rely on a feeding tube or having CTE by the time I'm 50. I'm genuinely concerned for the guy at this point.

You just described 90% of workers. It's his choice and he probably knows more about his brain and body than you do.

thestoebz - 
Thingading - 

You just described 90% of workers. It's his choice and he probably knows more about his brain and body than you do.

Exactly, most don't have to worry about the same sort of serious ramifications that fighters do, which is why it is so important for them to make the right decision.

As one doctor said, fighters are the least qualified to determine when they should stop for health reasons.

Their views are clouded by any number of factors: ambition, competition, money, etc.

No one can force them to stop, but people that are concerned for their health can and fucking should tell them that they need to.

It's called caring. Phone Post 3.0

Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - As one doctor said, fighters are the least qualified to determine when they should stop for health reasons.

Their views are clouded by any number of factors: ambition, competition, money, etc.

No one can force them to stop, but people that are concerned for their health can and fucking should tell them that they need to.

This. VU.

Didn't Liddell basically have to be pulled out of the octagon by Uncle Dana?

thestoebz - 
Thingading - 

actually it's probably easier for a fan to be objective than it is for a fighter. Brain injuries don't necessarily manifest themselves immediately. Do you think Freddie Roach knew he was giving himself parkinson's when he was losing every fight at the end of his career?

Except that when Shogun fought Lidell he was still regarded as one of the best in the world in that weight class. OSP is legit but he's not where Shogun was back then. Losing to OSP is way worse than losing to 09 Shogun.

Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - As one doctor said, fighters are the least qualified to determine when they should stop for health reasons.

Yep. Jahvid Best of the Lions is one example. He had to retire early because of concussions but was actively seeking second and third opinions from other doctors trying to get cleared to resume playing.

Lots of athletes don't want to admit it's over until they're given no other choice.