Other olympic judo beat of 2004.

Chokemasta, what happened?

I thought YOshida was going to show everybody how Judo works in MMA?? Now he's just gotten his ass beat twice in a row. Funny isn't that, two real fights and two losses....

Crushing, isn't it?
Seems like you'll soon be dedicating all of your time into playing Soldier Of Fortune on the Internet.

lol, YOshida gave silva his toughest fight in years. And he's only been doing mma for 1.5 years. Talk about talent.

ttt

When I heard that he was competing I had high hopes because of his background in judo involves a through Soviet-style training (he was active during that era, was on the Soviet and Unified Team, is from Georgia (awesome at wrestling), has done sambo as well, had done works in Rings (useful in that you are usually part of a Rings gym) back in the day, etc.). However, I didn't know that he was 175kg. ;o(

He is about 45kg overweight right now (only a tad over 99lbs!).

Think of Matt Gharafi and how terrible he looked last year. He didn't look anything like the guy who use to give Karelin trouble in greco-roman (0-23 against Karelin, but that means that you beat everyone else and get to Karelin!). 100lbs is a LOT of extra weight.

It sucks when athletes let themselves go like that...

Yeah, he was in shape back in 96 (won the 92 Olympics against Ogawa (yep, that Ogawa) btw). So in a mere 7 years he gained 100lbs and stopped all his training.

WTF? I thought that the guys at that level would at least be interested enough to do some coaching and stay in some level of shape.

Yoshida hasn't quit in a fight yet. You can't compare the two (although in terms of talent you can, which is why it is even more disappointing. They must have been throwing a lot of money around on Dec. 31st.)

Btw, Ogawa is still the most probable opponent for Rickson IF Rickson fights this year.

Yoshida would have to finish Royce before he got the nod and Sakuraba is someone that Rickson didn't want to fight before. Kondo isn't nearly as big a name as Funaki, Takada is retired, Fujita is just a really bad match-up for Rickson as it just begs for sprawl and brawl...

So expect more judo vs. bjj in the year of the monkey.

it's called trolling

It is my experience that the best players in closely related sports can usually easily do well in the other sports, once they cross train. And, world class athletes usually have the focus and intensity to compete effectively in many sports. Cross training (and mutual respect) would be beneficial for both Judo and BJJ players, to play either game.

Royler is an excellent example of a lighter BJJ player who incorporates beautiful and aggressive Judo throws into his game. It is common for BJJ players to compete in Judo tournaments (they are often more common than sport BJJ tournaments). Jiguro Kano competed under wrestling rules, representing Japan, and scored repeatly with kata garuma (fireman's carry). There are tons of Judo players and wrestlers who have got the BJJ bug and become excellent BJJ competitors with an accelerated learning curve.

Attacking a different sport is a very poor way to promote one's own sport. I have never heard greco roman stylists and free-style wrestlers arguing about which sport is more effective. I am not sure why Judo players and BJJ players would have such arguments. Different people compete in the sports they find the most satisfying.

See, Sothy gets it.

"Yoshida would have to finish Royce before he got the nod"

Oh right ok... You mean like their first fight?

I take nothing from the result, but you can GUARANTEE if the roles were reversed we'd have Kai/KingYoshida slinging shit around.

pulsar, I am not sure if you understand my post.

For Yoshida vs. Rickson to become a reality, Yoshida would have to fight Royce again and finish Royce.

ie. a 3rd match

Otherwise, Yoshida has done nothing to warrant the match over Sakuraba who is the larger name and better fighter.

"but truth be told he learned all that shit from TK."

lol. Where the hell do you get all these "facts."

A while ago you said the Japanese do not like Matsui and Takada, now you say Yoshida learned all his grappling from TK.

SA

By the way, I didn't see many people dissing Greco Roman wrestling when Matt Ghaffari got his nose broken and TKO'd by Ogawa.

SA

ttt

"I beat up a BJJ blue belt in a street fight with my limited training, does that mean then that I could beat every BJJ blue belt, and that BJJ as a sport sucks?"

- aint it funny how bjj trolls try to distance itself from 'TMA' so much (and yes, it is 'different'in many ways, dont worry, i aint saying its all the same) but
i also remember kids back in the day also getting super wrapped up in the whole belt thing.
_________

"What, another "elite" Judo loss with fanboy qualifications? You don't say? "

- Does a Mundial Champ have "fanboy qualifications"...ooops, you did it again.